Idiots avoiding ip-bans?

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Hi

Just wondered, is there a way to perma-ban people so that they cannot keep returning and recreating random-name accounts to post abuse?

I keep seeing some random idiot doing it in off-topic, and I have to wonder at how someone with an IQ smaller than most 1-digit binary numbers can manage to circumvent systems that have been put in place by people far more intelligent.

I guess its only one or two of these imbeciles causing trouble because they go to such tedious lengths to remake thier disposable accounts, but surely there is a way to put a stop to them?

Just an idle pondering really, its just sorta irritating to see it, not really a serious problem :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Without having looked into it in detail, they're probably using Dial-Up or an ISP that rotates IP addresses.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
That user name is that faggot Dorimor. He likes to tell everyone he is a Legend irl because he got a title in battlegrounds.

Ofc we are all really jealous of him and wish we could be just like him. unfortunately I cant take back the fact I have slept with females so I am destined to just dream instead. :p

Poag

m00?
Hi

Just wondered, is there a way to perma-ban people so that they cannot keep returning and recreating random-name accounts to post abuse?

I keep seeing some random idiot doing it in off-topic, and I have to wonder at how someone with an IQ smaller than most 1-digit binary numbers can manage to circumvent systems that have been put in place by people far more intelligent.

I guess its only one or two of these imbeciles causing trouble because they go to such tedious lengths to remake thier disposable accounts, but surely there is a way to put a stop to them?

Just an idle pondering really, its just sorta irritating to see it, not really a serious problem :)

Cookie of death :)

Even if you dont choose "remeber my login" vB always leaves a cookie behind. The cookie can be turned into a payload cookie that will ban any account that users attempts to create.

Cookie of death :)

Even if you dont choose "remeber my login" vB always leaves a cookie behind. The cookie can be turned into a payload cookie that will ban any account that users attempts to create.

Can't they just then, delete their cookies? :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Aren't bans done by the e-mail address they use to register? As long as they have a new e-mail they can re-register, difficult to stop that.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Dont ban him, he is hilarious :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
IP bans are worse than useless - they can (and do) get innocent people due to dynamic allocations.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
The only thing sillier than IP based bans are people that create threads like this when they dont work.

They dont even keep out the clueless never mind anyone with a clue.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
hmm

/me ***** draylor

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Now now Deebs: didnt you have to accept the forum rules that you wouldnt do things like that? :kissit:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Now, that's why I like IPv6... I now think EVERY machine should have a static machine. (Hell, bring in MAC address banning)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
The only thing sillier than IP based bans are people that create threads like this when they dont work.

I thought my post showed that I'm aware of the fact that IP bans are easily avoidable, it was more of a "isnt there anything else you can do?" question.

Maybe I didnt make that point clear enough though, Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom