Idea for relics

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I am posting this from Pryd.net because I happen to think that the poster has a point it might be worth discussing here:

Gandelf said:
An idea for relics...
I was encouraged to post this on the main discussion forum by a friend. It is with regard to the fact that it seems (according to a number of people), that there is a groundswell of players lately who are interested only in earning realm points and who are not interested in defending keeps and relics:-

Maybe if Mythic changed the bonus on relics so that they had a direct effect on how many RPs players earned, then it would help to solve the problem of players not wanting to defend keeps/relics? Perhaps if you lost one of your realm's relics to the enemy, then the whole realm earned 15% less RPs, so with both lost it would be 30% less RPs, then players would probably wake up!?

If you capture an enemy relic then your whole realm would earn 15% more RPs. Of course, I plucked the figure of "15%" completely out of the air... it may be too large a figure and perhaps 10% would be better... but you know what I'm getting at.

I think power and strength bonuses no longer mean as much as they used to... mostly because of all the items that give cap increases etc. So, perhaps it is time for Mythic to rethink what the real value of the relics should be?

Its not a bad idea at all you know!

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
not a bad idea. kinda like the idea of being punished for not having relics. although it would probably decrease that realms population and increase the other realms population on cluster :)

but most of all i would like a change that makes the relics raidable without resorting to 1) early morning/late night PvE 2) ninja:ing it during iRvR or 3) raiding continuously over the course of 1 week to get the needed keeps.

i think they should bring back the old system with the more keeps you have in an enemy frontier, the easier it was to take down the relic keep.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
There's 2 problems these days with relics.

1) Relic raiding is no-where near as fun as it used to be. The old surprise raids that were needed to get a relic required organisation, and they only lasted an hour or 2.. These days relic raids are much more about sticking it out, and instead of an hour where you needed to be fast and do things properly, you can just zerg it for 5 hours and win.

2) Cluster means people are playing on both sides of the fence, so for 70% of people it would be like stealing a relic of themselves. The number of people who only play 1 realm, and therefore have an interest in stealing the relic as it won't unbalance their other chars is just too small to actually make a difference.

As mentioned before, cluster very much killed the "4 teh realm" spirit of the game, as a majority of players are now playing on both sides of the fence. Relic's were the first thing that got thrown out the window when this happened.

Zede

Part of the furniture
We get enough RP as it is for killing stuff

Have a one off RP amount for taking a relic, say 25k, far more sensible.

Would be an idea that you only have to take 2 keeps to open a relic gate though.

Have an actual RvR Battlegroup Channel thats always present you can join.

brad

Fledgling Freddie
If they want to promote siege rvr, just say each keep you take you recieve 10 k rp's and maybe 500 gold to 1 plat in money.

Towers could be maybe 1k rp's and 100 gold. And thats not like it's that much money considering how much arti repairs are these days. Probably every 3rd day i spend a plat in repairs. So if they really want DAOC to be mass siege rvr, then give better incentives for the people that take them.

Plus when buying a tone of siege everytime you fail or are carrying on for the next keep, it gets expensive. The odd 40-50 gold here and there doesn't seem to bad at first, but after a couple hours of doing the same thing, you think omg where's all my money gone. Or they should make the siege merchants that make diminutive siege for you, so 90% of the people don't have to resort to buying all the parts. They can buy one bulk diminutive siege, and get a couple of them. That would also promote large siege battles. Just say 10 gold for a diminutive ram or treb or catapult. It also makes it easier for people to get used to using siege as alot of people have never even bothered to try.

That way things wouldn't seem such a drag when doing a RR /keep take. People think o if i just stay a little while longer, i have a chance of recieving a decent reward for it. For tanks keep takes wont be the legendary bor they used to be, o let me hit a door for an hour, while everyone else has fun fighting each other. It just doesn't make people want to do it.
But if they know that they might get some decent rp's out of it, which most tanks wont as everything is basicly caster v caster fights. They will think okay if im going to get 10k rp's and a plat in money just to kill this lord, then im perfectly up for taking keeps.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
brad said:
That way things wouldn't seem such a drag when doing a RR /keep take. People think o if i just stay a little while longer, i have a chance of recieving a decent reward for it. For tanks keep takes wont be the legendary bor they used to be, o let me hit a door for an hour, while everyone else has fun fighting each other. It just doesn't make people want to do it.
But if they know that they might get some decent rp's out of it, which most tanks wont as everything is basicly caster v caster fights. They will think okay if im going to get 10k rp's and a plat in money just to kill this lord, then im perfectly up for taking keeps.

what about ladders for tanks so they can storm the walls? I know there are climb points and everything why not have actual seige ladders and ways of pushing them off and stuff? Make climbing an active element of the seige?

brad

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:
what about ladders for tanks so they can storm the walls? I know there are climb points and everything why not have actual seige ladders and ways of pushing them off and stuff? Make climbing an active element of the seige?

Yeh i totally agree, or add new aspects to siege, ladders and abilities to dig tunnels under the walls.

If GoA/mythic or who ever designs the game:) They should focuse on making siege rvr more easier, more fun and more rewarding. Then they would get what they wanted which is a mass war between the realms, not just a keep take hear and there so people can get a little bit of irvr.

Belgorian

Fledgling Freddie
I think it would be nice, but very difficult to award Rpts/Cash for tower and keep takes, there would have to be something in place to stop people turning up at the last minute to collect the reward.

I really used to enjoy the old system in "Old frontiers", where taking keeps reduced the number of guards at relic keep. The surprise factor has totally vanished from Relic raids, you now have to take certain keeps before you can attack relics, whereas with the old system, if you gathered a big enough force you could go straight for it. That was when all the guilds would PM each other and everyone would rush to defend. It used to be good fun!

In my opinion they should...

1) Reduce the number of towers ( maybe 1 or 2 per keep).
2) Make keeps easier to capture, bring back old system, that capturing
keeps reduces guards at relics.
3) Remove the need to have to capture certain keeps before attacking relic.
4) Make Relic keeps harder to capture, so it becomes more important to take other keeps first. Maybe have something in place that says you must have a BG of at least 100 people to attack a Relic, this would ensure relic raid were primetime. This would stop the smaller groups that may be tempted to Alarm clock raid.
5) Make siege equipment a bit lighter.
6) Have a use timer on siege and allow it to be picked up. For example a Catapault can be used for 30 minutes, so if you have used for 10 mins, you can pick it up, carry to next keep and still have 20 mins use time. If it is picked up when damaged, you cannot repair the damage.

Ah well just a few thoughts whilst eating my lunch at work.

thoroughly nice chap!!

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
These are all nice ideas, the sieging, the awards... thing is, they need to know it ...

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
I have already talked to RvR TL about adding siege equipment like siege towers and ladders.

He has posted it on internal boards and one suggestion he had was to add siege towers to Warlord ML line.

haven´t heard anything more about it though

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
What stands between you and the relic is a big gate..

Why can't I just mash the gate down with my zerg?

Make it so taking the keeps reduces the defences at the gate.

Also make enemy relics go back to the relic wall.. while putting them in keeps meant it was possible fo the enemy to get them back, which I guess was a good thing, it made it way to easy to alarm-clock them, meaning taking them in the first place isn't worth the effort.

Notirt

One of Freddy's beloved
realm point bonus/penalty would be ok if its on a server with decent population balance , but on a server where 1 realm is very underpopulated i think it would be very unfair

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom