Idea for Mythic

M

Molten Lava

Maybe someone already thought of this, but while sitting in the sun, drinking beer I got the next idea:

Why arent there any really unique items in the Realms? I know its almost impossible to get a full sidi set, but in theory it s possible that 10, 15 or 20 people in Albion walk around in a full sidi set....I dont call that unique

Other example: Mythic introduced the neckie-quest in 1.62 (necklace with 4 times 10% resist) its ubber so you see about every alb who is above lvl 48 do that quest.....I dont call that unique

Shouldn't it be cool if there was like 1 Uber-sword somewhere in the game...just 1...give it like 100 util, make it a quest you can only do once per server which needs 150 people...make sure there's one quest for every weapon type in the game....give the items a real unique look so everybody will know that you are the one that wields the really unique weapon....this way the game will get a little extra imho...

what do you think?

F

frols

try finding 149 people to help you do a quest for 1 person :)

H

Harhr

then all the quest makers shall talk to the quest giver, and some lucky fuck gets the reward :)

A

Archeon

Yeah, i would image any totally unique items. Which a good idea. Would cause a hell of a lot of whining from those that arn't able to get it.

E.g. you can find 'Excalibur' in Albion which is the only weapon of its kind - the lucky person (unisex ;) ) who gets it would be over other people. But the other X hundred people on the server who can use the weapon would be mighty pissed off. Then theres the whole 'hacker' issue, you just know a small group of nerdy, geeky type people would attempt to hack the account of the person who has the sword, Etc, Etc...

It would be nice, but at the end of the day the majority of the realm would feel utterly screwed. that, and if a weapon is 'one of a kind' then it would have to be really powerful (Replace Powerful with Overpowered :) ).

I think at the moment the current system is good, with some drops being rarer than others.

E.g. Agmunder's Foe Slayer is regarded as the best 2h sword in Midgard (by most) yet i think that in the tens/hundreds of TG hunts done since SI came out its only been dropped maybe 10 times... 15tops, when you consider a realm conisistes of hundreds of people thats not exactly unique in the best definition but its still very rare (which atleast makes it possible, if not probable that you can get one)

Just my thoughts on it :)

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Archeon
It would be nice, but at the end of the day the majority of the realm would feel utterly screwed. that, and if a weapon is 'one of a kind' then it would have to be really powerful (Replace Powerful with Overpowered :) ).

It doesn't actually. it can just have a unique look as well.
tho I agree it wouldn't really work in an mmog

D

Damon_D

Yeah Bel..that would work if this was a true RPG game.In this game peopel would not spend 3 sec's to help someone get a weapon , who might look cool, but had crappy stats... And as we dont realy have any " banksitters " ( UO peopel know what I mean ) in this game where would you show it off..because what ell's could you use such a weapon for ???

G

Gadd

Originally posted by Molten Lava
Maybe someone already thought of this, but while sitting in the sun, drinking beer I got the next idea:

Why arent there any really unique items in the Realms? I know its almost impossible to get a full sidi set, but in theory it s possible that 10, 15 or 20 people in Albion walk around in a full sidi set....I dont call that unique

Other example: Mythic introduced the neckie-quest in 1.62 (necklace with 4 times 10% resist) its ubber so you see about every alb who is above lvl 48 do that quest.....I dont call that unique

Shouldn't it be cool if there was like 1 Uber-sword somewhere in the game...just 1...give it like 100 util, make it a quest you can only do once per server which needs 150 people...make sure there's one quest for every weapon type in the game....give the items a real unique look so everybody will know that you are the one that wields the really unique weapon....this way the game will get a little extra imho...

what do you think?

what about the bane of life sword, from what i have heard only 1 exists on prydwen. though i'm probably wrong

K

klavrynd

its usually people that dont use or have no use at all for uber items that get em

V

Vaire

Originally posted by klavrynd
its usually people that dont use or have no use at all for uber items that get em

another quote from....
BitterLibrary.GIF

V

villageidiot

id like to see excalibur ingame with uber stats etc like you say and only one of them, but the person who has it quitting the game and have it rot on his acc for eternity sounds a bit poo

so have it so you have to fight for the right to keep it, maybe you have to dual once/twice a week. loose and you loose the sword and the victor gets it. and if you dont use the sword for so long then it automatically sends itself back to avalon lake

D

dukat_lionheart

i like the idea of unique items.

but no archeon, it would not have to be overly powerfull: just look at diablo 2, there are lots of unique randomly generated swords that are unique but do not make the weilder utterly overpowered.

in DAoC, there is the added room for procs to add to the sword, new looks to each of them, maybe implement a graphical side of crafting, where the crafter can spend extra cash to add a red squiggly line down the middle of the sword, or have a gold hilt, or perhaps make it have a wierd looking edge.

i think it would make daoc look a lot better, although it would be challenging for mythic or goa or whoeever to implement it

and as for excalibur, i think there should be a dueling tourney once every 3-4 months to determine who should hold it, so that the wielder would not have to spend every waking moment enjoing it. and i think it should be only slightly overpowered, so that the wielder has a an edge over other players, and in RvR you can definatly see who is holding it, althought that person is not invincble.

this would not be very easy to do though, a simpler system would be to award the sword once every other month to the player with the most rps on the server.

M

Molten Lava

Duels

They idea of duelling for a sword seems very cool..one problem (which this game already has) The rich people getting richer, the high realm-rank getting higer etc:

...if you have money you can buy/craft better gear and farm even more easily (not a real big difference though) money.
...or If you have a high RR you get all the nift RA"s which make it even easier to get RP's and an even higher rr

If you give this uber-unique sword to the highest ranked, richest, or best farming player this would also make him harder to beat (in duels) so he would probably have the sword until he quits the game....on the other hand, giving it to a total n00b who cant even use it, is stupid too....

How to solve this ? :)

O

old.Kerosene

Originally posted by dukat_lionheart

this would not be very easy to do though, a simpler system would be to award the sword once every other month to the player with the most rps on the server.

Hell no... Archeon hit the nail on the head really with my thinking. It it's based on who gets the most RP's then there would be even less support classes and the 'elitest' 'I've gotta get more RPS!!!!!' attitude that is rife on most servers would get even worse. Keep takes would be rarer, relic raids would be rarer and the the whole game would suffer as a result of one unique item.

Not to mention the 'leet' hacking kiddies.

Keep everything loot wise as it is (but get rid of SC for the love of god)

D

dukat_lionheart

Originally posted by old.Kerosene
Hell no... Archeon hit the nail on the head really with my thinking. It it's based on who gets the most RP's then there would be even less support classes and the 'elitest' 'I've gotta get more RPS!!!!!' attitude that is rife on most servers would get even worse. Keep takes would be rarer, relic raids would be rarer and the the whole game would suffer as a result of one unique item.

Not to mention the 'leet' hacking kiddies.

Keep everything loot wise as it is (but get rid of SC for the love of god)

yea, your right m8y, i concur, it would increase the elitist attitude, but i dothink the idea of a lot of random unique items is better than one all power full item. but ah well what do i know :p

V

Validus

this will probably never get implemented. but just for the fun of it, how about every 2 months the realm elects a "champion". he who is elected, will recieve an uber un-tradable/droppable item, suited for his spec/class. its either that or an uber sword idea which would limit the fun to only sword wielding classes. when a new champion is elected, the old champions item is deleted, and the new champion recieves an uber un-tradable/droppable item suitable for his class/spec. everybody's happy, we get politics in our game. yippe!

H

Hargh

Elections would be the only way. Leading a successful RR for instance would do your campaign no end of good.....

And any Uber Item should come with a massive flag to friend and foe that you have it, such as a brilliant blue/green/red (depending on realm) light flaring off the weapon that you can see beyond clipping range.

Death of the toon means the weapon is returned to it's home, maybe a permanent effect on the wielder such as -1 CON for ever.

Enemy realms killing the toon that holds the weapon brings a temporary realm bonus.

Time limit on holding it such as a week.....

Abritary cos it aint going to happen :D

A

Archeon

One idea i heard before would be standards, where one guy carrys a guild (or realm) standard, and it gives them an RP bonus (somthing like 10-20%).

The general idea was that while you were carrying the standard you were effectivly limited from helping in one-way or another (i think the example used was not being able to cast spells while you have the standard).

I think it was a fairly solid idea, so who knows if Mythic catch on. Theres still plenty of time to add stuff into the RvR patch :D

Actually if it were guild only that would really encourage guild RvR and take less of the emphisis away from random groups. Not that random group RvR isn't a good thing but if there were more guild groups it might encourage the use of the less populated realm zone (like FS, and the inner areas of the fronetiers).

Little off-topic, but it kinda fits seeing as the conversation moved onto RvR/RR's/etc :)

On a side note, making the uber-item only usable for a limited time untill you have to pass it on to sombody else might be a good way of doing it. Maybe if when you die you drop it. But then you just know loads of people will crowd arround the weapon-holder and be spamming F7+G the second they see his death-spam. ;)

D

DocWolfe

they were going to implement this... it was going to be one of the main features of the game but they scrapped it, pre-beta.

T

Torvarg

To be really honest I think spellcrafting kind of ruined DAoC a small bit... I've always enjoyed the part where you have to work really hard to get a certain item to drop, like go deep into a dungeon and really work for the item.

And some more Random-generated-Items with proccs and stuff would be very nice so you actually would get some use for them.
I played alot of Diablo2+LoD and those who played it to knows that you really had to work to get your items :)

Nowdays you can just cap everything with spellcrafted EQ, there is no use to have drops, except for some rings/bracers/etc since you can't SC those, but you can still cap everything without the 'rare' items.

The bracer/ring/neck quests are great, just that they are infact quests... everyone can make them and get fairly powerful stuff.
Only reason people use Sidi/TG/Galla weapons are cause of the looks :/ Sure there might be some weapon that has some good stats, but then again so has a spellcrafted one.

There are tons of stuff that actually IS good but no1 uses it becuase SC:ed is always better.

I don't like what spellcrafting has done to the game, but I still use it because of the simple fact: it's the best.
I would much rather have capped everything using "real" items, would make it harder thus more rewarding if you've succeded.

Just my thoughts =)

A

accollon

What they need to do is overhaul all the armour and weapon drops to make them similar to SC'ed stuff. Wasn't it great when you went shopping (read: went drop hunting) for Vindicator armour? Or Banded Coral, and you could trade a spare helm for a spare hauberk etc.

If they made more class specific armour, nicely tailored with high quality that only dropped in certain places, then it would make PvE much better. SC would still have the edge due to being custamisable, but for casual gamers who cannot afford the cost of SC, they still have something to hunt for. Epic armour is of course nice, but there should be something a little better, and there should be suits for all level ranges, so even at 30 you can go to kill certain mobs to get the drops.

O

old.Tohtori

Talking about ideas...

*total ripoff time*

I have a fucking idea for Mythic...

I knock some sense into them.

*oh like in an intervention?*

Fuck intervention! I don't talk to them, i hit 'em in the head!

*Like the police do?*

Fuck the police! I don't use some rubbery little club, i use a fucking baseballbat!

*Isn't that kinda harsh?*

Fuck noo! I use a wooden bat and not those aluminum bats. Just so they can get splinters and don't get knocked out so fast. And..oh this is fucking brilliat... at the door, right next to their coats, i put another baseballbat just to give them fucking hope!

*So this will add balance and fix the game in what way?

No fucking way! It's just a helluva time to spend a fucking afternoon!

F

Flimgoblin

I can see this working for an event or something but not long term - i.e. we had one person in charge of the mercenary army at witrin :)

Imagine someone gets given Excalibur by the lady of the lake to slay a great beast attacking camelot?

It'd go away at the end of course.

D

dukat_lionheart

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
I can see this working for an event or something but not long term - i.e. we had one person in charge of the mercenary army at witrin :)

Imagine someone gets given Excalibur by the lady of the lake to slay a great beast attacking camelot?

It'd go away at the end of course.

sounds cool to me, but only if mid and hib capitols get hit too, only their nasty 'great beast' dont go away at the end (lol)

Users who are viewing this thread