IainC, this ones for you.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
A friend of mine who is sadly hooked to WoW has asked a mequestion about the pre-order Beta codes for the CE that I think requires an answer on the 'official' forums.

"If someone buys the CE, then sells the open beta code on Ebay for (suppose) £50, the unlucky person to buy it wont be able to use it with a normal version of the game right?"

A guy in her guild is offering 3 beta codes out for some heafty cash, because he's getting three CE's for himsel and friends. To re-coup some of the money, he'll start when the game goes public, and loose his early beta access. In turn, somone else will make an account with the code and use a regular version of the game to get a head start.

Nice idea, but I see a flaw in this. The CE will be sent out in advance of the Open beta, and the normal version wont ship till the public access, so whoever gets the code will have maybe 3 day at best into he beta, right? Effectively loosing much of the £50 they just spent.

She, and I, would like to know if that would work, because I can see a huge pile of monkey poo being shipped in and an industrial fan being lined up, just for this.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
The way it basically works is like this:
You have the special pre-order codes for the Open Beta, the headstart and the bonus item.

You add the codes to your profile on the accounts page when that is available. Once the codes are used they can't be re-used by anyone else. The system will reject codes that have already been validated. To do all of that you don't need to have a Collector's Edition in your hands as we don't want people who might have to have one shipped to them to miss out on the open beta and the head start.

If a few days after the game launches you haven't updated your profile with the CD key from a Collector's Edition then your account will be closed until you do. If you only have a regular edition then you'll have to use it to create a new account and everything on your old account - headstart characters, bonus items - will be lost. You will be able to use the open beta access as that's a one time thing that will be over by the time your account gets locked out anyway but honestly, we plan to have a lot of much better ways for people to get into open beta when that time comes around. Anyone paying for a free code from a pre-order is an idiot.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
I thought as much, thanks for the swift response.
Hopefully, I can get this info to her before anyone is dumb enough to agree to buy the codes.

Cheers :worthy:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Lets tear away all the lies and look at the pure post.

Binky: Requiel, Can I sell the 3 beta codes on ebay for over £59.99 so I make a profit?
Requiel: Yup

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone paying for a free code from a pre-order is an idiot.

How much more expensive than the regular retail version is the CE again? And the major selling point and justification for it being so damned pricey is, what, early access?

;)

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Whats in the CE. It is pricey ;/ But I gotta say I think they've put a nice set of stuff together that isn't unbalancing in gameplay but still cool to have. Plus you could always sell the models and mousemat (if it really is euro only then some american would buy it ;P )

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
How much more expensive than the regular retail version is the CE again? And the major selling point and justification for it being so damned pricey is, what, early access?

;)

Something to do with all the print goodies and the miniature I imagine :)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
I know people already that have offered me almost the entire sum of the CE box just for the Mini (with no interest in the game)... so its got to be worth something ;)

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
I originally thought I might sell on the miniature, but now I'm not so sure, I think it looks pretty sweet, just I worry about my own painting skills

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
There is still CE boxes for sale in my local GAME store.
I'm planning to give away my Open Beta key to a friend as I'm in closed beta already. Early Access and Item codes i use myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom