I want it. Ipad 2

Laddey

FH is my second home
Hey y'all....

I'm home now, shit didn't go as planned.

I'm thinking of an Ipad 2 for myself for christmas. I understand no USB, media card reader etc etc...but they are sexy.

I want one so i can take to our pegs n watch films on. Read a book on holiday, play a game. You know what i mean?

They're small and light so easy to carry. 10 hours battery life (supposedly) which is IDEAL. I have a desktop, laptop and an iphone 4s. Are they basically a bigger version of the ipod?

What about comparing them to the blackberry playbook?

Do i do it? If so...Wheres the best place to buy from chaps?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Playbook is too far behind in terms of apps to consider IMO.

The iPad is good but it is just a bigger iPhone so as you already have one I would suggest a Android tab. The Sony one just won an award as the best tablet on the market so it's worth a look.

I own an iPad and as soon as i got it I got rid of my iPhone as they are so similar.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I basically want it to watch films and play the odd game, read an e-book browse the web. Biggest function would be to watch films tho, as its such a ballache converting files to dvd format and our lass has no USB on her TV. Won't let me buy her one with USB because her mum bought it her christmas last year

Laddey

FH is my second home
I know i shouldn't talk about it, but as theres soon to be released an untethered jailbreak for IOS 5.0.1 on the Ipad 2 and Iphone4s (unless i read it wrong) that is also a major factor.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Android tabs can just have avi files dropped on them to play and you can connect them to any machine. They are more useable over the iPad in that respect which by default needs a mp4 file so you have to convert and can only sync with one machine. I would go to Currys or somewhere and take a peak because you might decide the iPad is for you just because your used to the OS.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Easier to watch movies on an Android tab. Unless you are a complete moron the OS shouldn't matter really. More games iirc on android as well. Kindle or a.n.other ap for reading with calibre recognition means books galore.

Basically buy something that will be cheaper than an Ipad2 and probably more usable.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Android tabs can just have avi files dropped on them to play and you can connect them to any machine. They are more useable over the iPad in that respect which by default needs a mp4 file so you have to convert and can only sync with one machine. I would go to Currys or somewhere and take a peak because you might decide the iPad is for you just because your used to the OS.
Download cinexplayer app for iPad can play avi just like the android tab

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Admit Laddey. It is its shiny exterior that draws you to it.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
He obviously went to prison to try get knocked up by dropping the soap over and over in the showers... then he realised he can't get pregnant (hence the things didn't go to plan)..

Also, lol iPad2 :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Personally, I'd get myself a netbook. A mate brought his ipad2 round the other day and we did a big comparison - and my netbook pissed all over it.

All the things the ipad can do and a fuckload more for less money.

ipads are about looking cool. Yeah, you look cool browsing the web on one, but the experience itself simply ain't as good IMO.

Functionality > Form, every single time...

soze

I am a FH squatter
They are different beats I have a laptop i use for doing lots of work but i would rather watch a film on my ipad stuck on a train than sitting with a netbook sat on my lap. Tablets are gadgets but using for for a week you will find times when a tablet is better than a netbook.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I'd say if you got an iPhone an iPad is nice as they can work together rather nicely (and even better if you got more apple products).
If you don't I would go for android.

Ono

Part of the furniture
Missus has got the iPad2 and it is nice but putting files on it is a real pain in the arse. iTunes and Handbrake conversions.

I had an Asus Transformer until not long ago and that was so much easier - drag and drop. Sold the TF because I actually watch most of my films on the Samsung GS2 phone now. Was still a slight pain having to use avi rather than my MKV collection. May pick up a next gen quad core Android pad next year. Basically, if you can drop in full fat 4.78gb MKVs and play with no issues - it will be win.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Last night I showed my wife how to stream video from our file server to her Xperia X10.
Wifi + eStrong File Explorer + Rockplayer Lite = plays just about anything.
I even tried a 1080p MKV rip. Okay, it was slow framerate with stuttering sound, but it tried to play it. I agree with Ono... if you can get a tablet that plays 1080p MKVs without stuttering, that's the winner.

Personally, I'll stick with laptops for portable video playback. It's a good size for the bedroom and has the oomph to play 1080p without a problem. I can only see me using a tablet if I'm given one. I won't be buying one for myself.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Cheers guys. It is the ipad 2s shiny exterior that brings me in, of course. Its a hot piece of kit.

I'm just not sure. After posting on here ive looked beyond the ipad 2 now. The OS also has a big part in the ipad. Im used to it and it'll work nicely with my iphone.

Any other tablets i should consider? Thanks

Laddey

FH is my second home
Although looking at other operating systems, it isnt that much of a big deal. Some are just as nice

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I picked up an HP touchpad when they were going cheap and it's pretty f*cking good. WebOS is a bit lacking in apps but does everything I want it to extremely well. Bought kalemsoft media player (£5) which plays everything I've thrown at it including HD, just drag an drop or even better it streams flawlessly from my media PC.

Want more apps? it dual boots cyanagenmod7 :)

opticle

Part of the furniture
Can you torrent and stream well on tabs these days? :)

Tempted by netbook as need laptop of some kind but also Samsung/apple tab..

Cyradix

FH is my second home
I'm using the asus eee pad and am very happy with it. Has a micro sd card slot so you can expand or swap your storage...
Using mxvideoplayer on it with the latest codecs and it plays my downloaded series in their standard mkv format

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom