I try to like Linux, I really do...

F

FatBusinessman

Ok, first off I'm fairly n00bish when it comes to Linux - I've pottered around in the odd config file occasionally, but nothing too deep.

Running RedHat 9 on my PC, but when I'm trying to load the RH "Add/Remove Applications" panel, Linux stops responding to mouse and keyboard input. My keyboard is a MS Office Keyboard and my mouse is an Intellimouse Explorer v3 (both USB). Has anyone had a problem similar to this, and is there a way round it?

S

Sibanac

When your system 'locks up' does <alt><ctrl> <F1> still work ?

If so loging to the console, su to root and do a dmesg might be an error in there

F

FatBusinessman

No, it doesn't seem like it's actually locked up - things like xmms and IM clients keep running. It's just that it doesn't accept keyboard or mouse input.

T

Testin da Cable

I'd hazard it's the USB thingy (but then TdC hates USB and will gladly blame it for just about anything)

can you reproduce with a PS/2 mouse / kbd perhaps?

X

xenon-hosting

hmmmmmm

get ps/2 ffs usb is total sh**

F

FatBusinessman

Re: hmmmmmm

Originally posted by xenon-hosting
get ps/2 ffs usb is total sh**
stfu rtfm ffs k pls thx.

tbh.

S

SoWat

I have both the devices you mention, the only difference is that I use the PS/2 connector for the keyboard. RH9 works fine.

Not a terribly useful reply I know

:cool:

F

FatBusinessman

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be that RedHat and USB keyboards don't get on wonderfully. Which is a bit of a bugger, but I may just have to switch my keyboard back to PS/2.

Users who are viewing this thread