I miss DAoC - What to do!

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Hey all, irritating stuff this...

I actually miss the PvE of DAoC, not the newer PvE, but beta+, going into Nisse and Spindel for the first time, hunting named for those 100% Con weapons, and camping areas for that named to pop.

Am i officially insane?

I kinda would like to roll a Thane (had fun with it in Beta), and just PvE the lowbie zones and do those daoc quests, and hunt those named ones! Heck even fighting friggin CRABS i sorta miss! Still remember being whopped by crabs, even in groups. Remember using loads of time on various quests, where you had to find some quest mob... good times, nowadays there is an arrow and a big fat red X where your quest mob is. Grumble.

Why do i write this? No clue at all. I know everyone here is 24/7 into PvP, and totally hate the PvE in DAoC, but i personally just miss it. To me PvE in DAoC was pretty hardcore at first, maybe because i rolled a Healer on Prydwen @ beta+. Was friggin impossible to solo anything.

Later on with ToA and stuff, it got easier, cause well, i went Hibernia rolled a Chanter with ml9 pet and a dr00d buffbot, but heck i even had fun THEN also, fighting insane stuff "solo aka duo".

Not ToA PvE i miss, its the beginning of the game, when those 100% Con weapons etc was that much better. Still remember that damn little npc in the boat near the starter area in Midgard, gave a nice 1h hammer. Wonderful little item.

Aaaaah well....
Is it worth starting again... just to get try it again? I dont care bout population really, id just play it as a single player game.

What bout US... can one use the old DAoC CD i have here, to play there?

Have fun people...

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Maybe try Gaheris? The population of it isn't that large, but if theres any PvE which requires a duo or more you can ask for the help from anyone on the entire server.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe try Gaheris? The population of it isn't that large, but if theres any PvE which requires a duo or more you can ask for the help from anyone on the entire server.

Im all for trying a US server, but i searched abit, and it seemed like a huge hazzle to go through... Easier if i could just install with my own DAoC+ToA dvd, and fix some .ini files, and run the US patcher...

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I've just done exactly this. Bored of all the other mmo's so started again on US and hit all the classic spots levelling my first toon.

I've had an ace time, pottering through Nisse's, Vendo, Varulv and Spindel. Levelling is really quick as well, most of mine has been solo, without a bb and I've wizzed through, level49 now, will hopefully get 50 tonight.

daoc>other mmo's

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Im all for trying a US server, but i searched abit, and it seemed like a huge hazzle to go through... Easier if i could just install with my own DAoC+ToA dvd, and fix some .ini files, and run the US patcher...

If you want it hassle free, I would goto the USA site and download the 14 day trial. They give you a CD Key which after 14 days will turn into a Live account (unless you chose not to pay).

You will have to download the 14 day trial, catacombs (once account is activated you'll have all versions of daoc up to catacombs for free).

or

install EU daoc all the way up to whatever client you want/need. Then goto a file in the install directory called update.bat and edit the 2 lines of text so that it points to USA (cant remember the thing you need to type, can google it in 5 secs).

Once you have set the patcher to USA you can then run the game and let it patch into USA. Some people have trouble on this part so I chose the download feature second time around.

p.s. crabs dropping warm butter hehe!

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the replies :)

Shagrat, you convinced me i fear, damn you, or thank you, time will tell.
I dont know if i fancy the fast xp that much, i liked to enter a dungeon/setup a camp, grab a six-pack, and then just whack away for ages.

Bahumat, doesnt sound that bad downloading the US trial, i reckon i get the expansions i need, ToA and Catacombs, SI etc.?

Im asking bout expansions since if i get hooked... well :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Thanks for the replies :)

Shagrat, you convinced me i fear, damn you, or thank you, time will tell.
I dont know if i fancy the fast xp that much, i liked to enter a dungeon/setup a camp, grab a six-pack, and then just whack away for ages.

Bahumat, doesnt sound that bad downloading the US trial, i reckon i get the expansions i need, ToA and Catacombs, SI etc.?

Im asking bout expansions since if i get hooked... well :)

Yeah they've made it pretty easy to get started. You download the 14 day trial (about 1gb) which is basically daoc, si, toa. You can also download catacombs which is about 1-2gb.

Technically you can download just the trial and spend your 14 days on there, however the graphics are kinda crap so it's worth downloading and installing catacombs :)

If you activate the account after 14 days, you have the following expansions;
daoc
SI
TOA
Catacombs

This leaves Darkness Rising and Labyrynth of the Minotaur. You can download those off the site and it costs about 20 quid to activate them :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Oh forgot to say. USA have tons of servers, but alot of these are clustered :)

Bossiney Cluster (Classic ruleset)
Killibilly Cluster (Normal toa ruleset)
Devon Cluster (Normal toa ruleset).

Most people are playing on Devon because it has the biggest population. We're all hoping the smaller (killibilly) cluster gets merged into Devon to make a super cluster, but we dont know if that will happen.

If you want to see which servers are part of which cluster, goto www.camelotherald.com and you can see it on the left hand side.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the help Bahumat.
Guess its Devon then, cant complain about to many people.

I kinda liked the graphic back then, but guess ill get Catacombs also.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Thanks for the help Bahumat.
Guess its Devon then, cant complain about to many people.

I kinda liked the graphic back then, but guess ill get Catacombs also.

Haha some people prefer the old character models so you're not alone! You can infact change them from Classic or Catacombs in the options.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Must ... resist .... temptation :D

Hehe, i failed resisting, and i plan on having lots of nostalgic fun.
Planning on playing most of the weekend, or atleast as much as the kids allow me :p

Long Live DAoC!

Lethul

FH is my second home
Or what GR said, Gaheris is a pure PvE server i think. Where you and your friends gets RP for killing big mobs and taking keeps etc :)

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
You will find teh people on the Gaheris server very helpful and also generous. I have made a few visits there and made few toons over the years and most times I get a pm offering help or items or cash. Plus they organise fun weeks/weekends with lots of prizes and events.
Mostly i play on classic cluster tho as i am now very good at gettin pasted my Mids and Hibs :( and teh occasional Alb :/
Have fun whever u play, its still teh best game out there. :)

:power:

GReaper

Part of the furniture
If you upgrade a US account to Labyrinth before you start playing, I'd download the EU Labyrinth client here. Let the EU Labyrinth client patch completely, replace the patch settings to US servers, then let it patch up to US and go again.

Unfortunately the US client is a bit of a pain at the moment as their trial client is a gimped old version, then they encourage you to patch it with each expansion. I think some of the people involved are planning on changing it, but until then I'd recommend this only if you upgrade your account immedately.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Bleh!

Thought i was good to go having downloaded the trial while at work.
Then it starts to patch, seems it is Shrouded Isles only also.

But the patch is 500mb, going at a 30kbs, what the... :/

Not making it easy for people to try out the game again for sure.

I dunno about that labyrinth thing, i just want SI->ToA->Catacombs i think.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Small update, cause forums aint super alive :p

Im ingame, bit dissapointed but having fun.

1: Whats up with that tutorial crap... really annoying!

2: Seems there aint multiple newbie start zones, cmon! I was going to start @ Ft. Atla and do my oldschool thing, sniff!

3: Every thing is super easy, i killed a few mobs and done a few quests, and have super gear and level 10'ish!

Hehe, dont even get time to enjoy the ride in this speed.

Question: The classic servers, do they have old newbie zones, and oldstyle stuff? No boats and no catacombs etc?

Afran

Part of the furniture
Small update, cause forums aint super alive :p

Im ingame, bit dissapointed but having fun.

1: Whats up with that tutorial crap... really annoying!

2: Seems there aint multiple newbie start zones, cmon! I was going to start @ Ft. Atla and do my oldschool thing, sniff!

3: Every thing is super easy, i killed a few mobs and done a few quests, and have super gear and level 10'ish!

Hehe, dont even get time to enjoy the ride in this speed.

Question: The classic servers, do they have old newbie zones, and oldstyle stuff? No boats and no catacombs etc?

Tutorial - You can skip this if you want, just run across the bridge and talk to the channeler.

There has been one starter area per realm for quite a while now, and yes, the exp is a lot faster now, I felt the same as you when I came back purely for a nostalagic run, I intended to exp through Mithra/Salisbury Plains/Tepok's/Keltoi etc but you level way too fast to be able to do so anymore, but now I play for the enjoyment of RvR and tbh have no complaints about how easy the PvE is now :p

As for Classic servers; They have the old zones, as do normal servers; no zones have been taken away but yeah, there's still just the one starting area. The only difference on Classic is there is no Artifact', Master Level's and concentration buffs have a range so not everyone uses a buffbot - However, everyone runs with every buffpot under the sun which is more annoying. There's pretty much no appeal to a Classic server over the normal server's anymore, especially considering Devon's population.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the reply, no need to try Classic then.

Devon is insanely crowded, or well, lots of RvR spam going on :)

Been trying to hunt one time droppers, only to find they arent exactly updated properly, some even dont drop their item anymore, sniff.

Done many of the old quests, just for that nostalgic feeling, its incredible how much one can remember still.

XP in instances are very good, having fun in Nisse's atm!

Afran

Part of the furniture
Classic areas (including old dungeons) have 50% exp bonus, RvR areas (including Darkness Falls) have 100% bonus :)

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Classic areas (including old dungeons) have 50% exp bonus, RvR areas (including Darkness Falls) have 100% bonus :)

oooh yes i noticed that very fast! :)
Enjoying Vendo Caverns atm, allthoo i might be to high lvl atm. Is darkness falls the only "rvr dungeon" for a level 25-35'ish. Reason i ask is i saw some new lowbie rvr zones, but cant find more.

1 thing i miss though is the adding... did they dumb that down? I recall everything always brought a friend, or lots of things did atleast. Now i can just attack any monster inside a camp, and only get that single one... 100% in the old days friends would come, heck even the whole camp?

I recall outside spindel, attacking one of those arachs, its friends would come from miles away attacking you also. I loved that since you get a very nice group bonus.

Afran

Part of the furniture
oooh yes i noticed that very fast! :)
Enjoying Vendo Caverns atm, allthoo i might be to high lvl atm. Is darkness falls the only "rvr dungeon" for a level 25-35'ish. Reason i ask is i saw some new lowbie rvr zones, but cant find more.

1 thing i miss though is the adding... did they dumb that down? I recall everything always brought a friend, or lots of things did atleast. Now i can just attack any monster inside a camp, and only get that single one... 100% in the old days friends would come, heck even the whole camp?

I recall outside spindel, attacking one of those arachs, its friends would come from miles away attacking you also. I loved that since you get a very nice group bonus.

Darkness Falls is indeed the only RvR dungeon for level 25-35, but you can always venture out to the frontier (behind the relic gates is safe) or go into a battleground, both have the bonus.

I don't recall BAF ever being dumbed down, atleast when I went through Barrows I didn't see any difference, seems to me the old rule applys of 3+ members in a group = BAF, with a few exceptions where mobs are clearly packed together regardless. Perhaps it's them calling for help that was nerfed, don't see it often now ;o

Fuggz

Fledgling Freddie
If you miss this game then yah gotta play it again. Had a go myself the other day for a month. Played a full cave shaman. Damn he rocks on levelling. Reds no prob. Also played an sb again but that didn't do much for me this time around. I notice though on the classic they are running with pots a lot and pretty good gear so you still need to very well prepared to cope. I think though that if you return to this game again it might be to play casually and for fun without the extreme highs and lows of previous gaming experience. Play it to unwind maybe.

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
I got caught again, after having some fun with my Thane i kinda wanted my old chanter+dr00d combo. So.... i rerolled Hib, and started with 2 toons :p

Just want to be overpowered for a while again. Even though i have read farming ml encounters is dead. Damn i loved that though. Was good fun. :(

Question:
The new expansions, are they worth it/a must? Saw something bout champion levels etc.

Etoemas

Fledgling Freddie
Where are these EU guilds at? :D I started playing again yesterday ( Necro for the fast lvling to 50 ) on the Devon cluster.

Ive seen Sorro around. Aswell for the Drakan Templars, if they are the EU ones.

Any others??

R

Rhiaden

I have just subbed for the first time to DAoC, and really enjoying it so far...

Trying to decide between Devon and Classic..

The buffbots thing on Devon has put me off playing there a bit, although they have the highest population during EU times..

I have to admit, as a newbie, its not something I understand really. How much of an issue would it be for me as a brand new player, coming up against players with buffbots?

Is it worth me playing a healing/buffing class as a first class, or are they not needed because of buffbots?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was unable to post a new thread.

Thanks for your help

Etoemas

Fledgling Freddie
I don't think Buffbots are that bad. If you do RVR your in a zerg anyways :p. I would go on normal. I am new on the devon cluster aswell and enjoying it bigg time.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
eroina_28.jpg

Sorro

Fledgling Freddie
Hehe.

Bout the buffbot, i dunno... i actually find my duo leveling slower than my Thane (atm). Mainly because im trying a setup with 2 monitors, back in the old days i had 2 PC's, with both keyboards close, was 1000 times easier.

Now i have to look at 2 screens, heal with mouse, etc etc. Kinda annoying in panic situations, which happens alot currently due to lack of skill :p

Need to relearn most!

----

Still having a blast though, and when things dont go wrong, i pull 5+ red cons etc np. Then it goes fast, if in old-school dungeons atleast.

If/when PvP starts, i will be playing dr00d most likely, did that in EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom