This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have an idea...

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by Daws, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daws

Daws Fledgling Freddie

... the main reason people are spamming everywhere is to get their post count up, correct?

So why not instead of trying to stop them spamming by lowering their post count, try raising their post count so they don't have to spam as much?

Just a thought :eek: Possible reverse psychology? :)

2. gunner440

gunner440 Hey Daddy Altman

then you'd have 100 x the number of people spamming in order to be punished and get postcounts raised..

2 sides to the coin ;/

3. Brynn

Brynn Can't get enough of FH

Could work. But how about removing all ways of finding out post count. That would stop spammage.

4. ST^

ST^ Can't get enough of FH

Why not suggest it to an admin instead of us peons? It's not for us to decide.

Probably wasn't your intention, but you just fill this forum up with more useless spam, it's so hard to filter through and see the useful or interesting posts.

5. Daws

Daws Fledgling Freddie

Because I feel it's better to discuss it with the peons first, if you guys approve then I can point the mods towards the post for them then to consider. If I don't check with the people first - how can I know it's what they want?

6. k9awya

k9awya Fledgling Freddie

silly idea, if they keep spamming they get banned..

that should stop people spamming.

7. ST^

It obviously wouldn't work.

You can't see the post count figure like you used to. The only way is to do a search on the username, but this is TIED to the number of posts made.

Simply giving higher ranked titles would be as bad as giving them custom titles. If they want one, it's only £10. If they can't afford that, why are they paying for internet? Shouldn't they like, save money for food or something?

8. gunner440

post titles => competition

and ppl trying to show off ze virtual penis !

9. Belsameth

Belsameth Tainted

to much spam = suspension, what other ways do you need?
    raising postcount is pure idiocy, and hiding postcount is not possible with the "search for all posts made by user" that's in this version of vBullitin

10. Gombur Glodson

Gombur Glodson Fledgling Freddie

Or ask people to behave maturely?

Oh wait...

11. Brynn

Brynn Can't get enough of FH

Bels did you pay for "Tainted" btw?

12. k9awya

k9awya Fledgling Freddie

they could disable the search function of the board

13. Nuked

Nuked Fledgling Freddie

how about closing off topic :rolleyes:

14. Gombur Glodson

How about only closing exc offtopic

*grins*

15. Cyfr

Cyfr Banned

I have a better idea. Make postcount go down everytime you post, will solve the problems

16. Gombur Glodson

erhm, then you'd always be at 0 posts, would be simpler just to disable the whole lot :)

17. gunner440

postcount

what would you be counting then? :p

18. 'Stc

'Stc Fledgling Freddie

Post counts mean nothing. Personally I really cba to look up "all posts by user" just to see how many posts a particular person has made. It really doesn't interest me.

As for being (temporarily) banned, I do think it was unfair but I can understand why actions were taken, and I've had some chats with Jupitus about it. So I'll set an example and take a week off, see how things turn out :)

Off to install SWG - see you on their boards :p

Shy
    xxx

19. gunner440

shy you're supposed to be banned

wont making a second account to post piss the mods off even more ?¿

20. k9awya

k9awya Fledgling Freddie

2 weeks ban imo!

21. 'Stc

'Stc Fledgling Freddie

I'm temporarily banned, I said what I wanted to say, I won't post again until my proper account is reactivated. Yes my last sentence was a light hearted joke :) Any more comments that are made I'll reply to by PM. See you all in a week!

22. ST^

[QUOTE='Stc]I'll set an example and take a week off[/QUOTE]

You say it as if you have a choice.

23. Jupitus

Jupitus Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy! Staff member Moderator

[Monty Python]Let's not do this... 'tis a silly idea[/Monty Pyhton]

And if you want to be able to PM people, Shy, make that your very last post now, thank you :touch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.