I have a sound problem... odd one :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey folks,

I haven't spent a huge amount of time working on this one yet, but I thought I'd post just in case this rings a bell with anyone and there is a quick answer...

My lad has my old Dell machine (P4 2 Ghz, Win2kpro os) and I recently got him a creative soundblaster live 5.1 sound card for it. First time around it installed fine, no problem whatsoever.

Due to the disturbing number of apps now trying to access the internet through his firewall (gah, why do some people just click on everythign that says 'yes install this piece of shit on my pc!!!' :eek7: ) I recently wiped the HDU and reinstalled the O/S from scratch as a cleanup. Now though, when I try installing the sound card drivers, it isn't working (some dll is missing or not being installed).

The only thing I can think of is that there are some low level Dell drivers I need to install, but this doesn't seem to make alot of sense to me... does anyone here think this could be the case or have other thoughts/comments to add?

Cheers,

Jup.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
You could try getting the latest set of drivers from the creative website?
Might help, dunno :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
~Yuckfou~ said:
You could try getting the latest set of drivers from the creative website?
Might help, dunno :)

Sorry, I should have said I tried that :)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
RandomBastard said:
Have you tried the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?
Hmmm no. In fact that's probably a likely cause. I'll try that, thanks :)

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
Bear in mind that whatever happens, Creative make some of the most god-awful drivers in existence. Bloaty, Invasive and unstable across the baord (my experience only, of course)

Win2k should recognise and install basic drivers for that card (could be wrong, there). I'm always torn between sticking with that at the cost of the extra fucntions that the card offers (EAX, surround) and attempting to locate and install the latest drivers for it, with the risk that they'll utterly frig my OS up. I tend to go with the former these days. I've given up trying to get an Audigy running in my Dell 530MT workstation, and removed the damn thing because all of the drivers I tried to use made all my games crash. (No hyperbole, there, I mean all of them.)

Sorry. That's not much help to you, I know, but I had to get that off my chest :)

What dll is reported missing, and what point during the install is it happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom