Help I dun get this whole domain thingy

Damini

Part of the furniture
Okay, so if I wanted to buy a website that somebody already owns but it expires in November, how do I go about it? I don't really get this parking thing, and I'm gullible enough to hand over my card details to the first angel fire/tripod website that promises to let me have the website domain, so I thought it was best to check with you guys before I end up bankrupt.

Cheers my dears!

P.S. Its not www.onenightstandsreunited.com though I did try to buy that ages ago, and host beautiful stories of blind drunk love and stds. Its for my brother's missus with her photography.

P.P.S. Clothed photography.

P.P.P.S. I will not pay a bajillion dollars for this website to a euro hacker. Promise.

Will

/bin/su
I want that onenightstandsreunited.com website.

I don't have anything helpful to add to that.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Is it the person's lease of the website that is expiring?, hence the domain is still owned by the same host afterwards, do you know who's hosting it, try contacting them.

stick the website address in here and it will tell you all the details

Whois lookup and Domain name search

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Um, expiry date has nothing at all to do with the date it will next be available for sale.

Chances are they will renew it.

If they dont then, and if it gets any noticeable traffic, either their provider or just some random twat will grab it the instant it becomes available to serve ads from.

Find another name, its not worth the hassle.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Stick your idea into the box at domaintools.com and see if the other extensions (e.g. .net) are available.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Wait until after the renewal/expiry date and check to see if the owner has renewed it. I don't see any point in backordering the domain until you've actually got a chance of getting it, which there isn't unless it's going to expire! It can usually take some weeks or a few months afterwards anyway.

Out of curiosity, is this a .com/.net/.org or a .uk domain?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Nothing constructive to add I'm afraid, I just thought I'd highlight:

I don't really get this parking thing

and say something funny like "I wish more women were this honest" or something...

Move along...

Damini

Part of the furniture
Thanks for all the imput guys :) The website is s b d photography . com (not direct linking in case the owners sees people visiting, and finds this thread, and then demands ONE BAJILLION DOLLARS for buying the site, so take out the spaces). Arnie's missus photographs under her initials S B D, and did some publicity shots for me looking all roguishly authoresque, which were watermarked with the phrase S B D photography. Which would be fine, except then we discover that tricksy website with the same bloody name. Yes yes, forward planning epic fail, but we now have the issue of trying to recall all the photos, or just snapping up the website when it comes up for sale. We could get a co.uk or a .net or whatever, but it would still be a pain in the arse for the other website to exist. I followed the links on that parking page and looked at back ordering it, but as far as I understand you pay the money and then they have 12 days to renew after it expires, and then 30, and then it can be sold via a third party anyway, and then my eyes rolled out and I came crawling to you guys for advice :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
on the expiry date, check if its been renewed, then again after a week if not then buy the fucker.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I expect you've found all this crap already but here's some info for that page:

Registered Through
GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Domain Name: s b d photography . com
Created on: 2006-11-01 11:12:24
Expires on: 2008-11-01 16:12:24
Last Updated on: 2007-11-04 07:26:30

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Would it not be best to grab the .co.uk site now and then if the other site comes up you can get that and make them point to the same website?

The website is not something that people are likely to randomly try so I don't see how the .co.uk suffix would give a disadvantage?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'd remove any references to the domain here, even if the owner doesn't find out - someone else could quite easily grab the domain just to annoy you. Use your evil moderator powers to remove them.

I'd also recommend just going for the .co.uk instead. That .com name you're after has an expiry date of November, so if it isn't renewed it could take 30 days of redemption period and another 5 days for deletion - so it might not be available until December. All of this assumes that the current owner doesn't renew - given that it costs under $10, it's not exactly expensive to hold onto domains. So you could be waiting months to try and get a domain you've got little chance of getting.

Other websites with similar names are always going to exist, I think you're being a bit fussy over the .com!

Damini

Part of the furniture
Me? FUSSY? Heh. A bit :)

Anyway, my mod powers are just for show. I'm like a PCSO to TdC and Will's Starsky and Hutch.

Mehuge

One of Freddy's beloved
Pick a different name imo, for example, stick a hyphen between the initials and photography. If you can grab the unhyphenated version at some point in the future then fine

Will

/bin/su
img_10.jpg

Teedles, get photoshopping!!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
As the one you want has been done with "Domains by Proxy" then it's unlikely you'll get it, ever. Personally I'd either register the ".info" or do a land grab on Sar's suggestion (sbd-p and take the .com .net .info & .org)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom