I cant bloody win : (

F

Furr

Well I now have the most stable PC I have had in ages, OS hadn't crashed in days, Games dont crash anymore, no more constant errors,

BUT!

I achieved this by disabling ACPI in WIN Xp, which means i get that bloody 'It is now safe to turn off your computer' Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

hmmm i might resintall win Xp thus renabling ACPI, because this sudden bout of super stabilty came about when i.

STEP 1, disable ACPI
STEP 2. take apart my PC to its indivdual components
STEP 3. Put it all back together Checking every connection and changing my ram order so that Dimm 1: 256 RAM stick, Dimm 2: 128 RAM stick. Dimm 3: 128 stick. Clear out dust from CPU heatsink and graphics card heatsink
STEP 4, reinstall windows
STEP 5, Resintall and update drivers etc.

Then play games non stop without crashes. Now one of those steps has caused my PC to work like a dream, but! i know that this 'Its now safe to turn off your PC' lark is gonna piss me off. choices, choices. resintall win XP with ACPI or leave as it. :( i hate life...

E

Embattle

Originally posted by FuROf knight
Well I now have the most stable PC I have had in ages, OS hadn't crashed in days, Games dont crash anymore, no more constant errors,

BUT!

I achieved this by disabling ACPI in WIN Xp, which means i get that bloody 'It is now safe to turn off your computer' Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

hmmm i might resintall win Xp thus renabling ACPI, because this sudden bout of super stabilty came about when i.

STEP 1, disable ACPI
STEP 2. take apart my PC to its indivdual components
STEP 3. Put it all back together Checking every connection and changing my ram order so that Dimm 1: 256 RAM stick, Dimm 2: 128 RAM stick. Dimm 3: 128 stick. Clear out dust from CPU heatsink and graphics card heatsink
STEP 4, reinstall windows
STEP 5, Resintall and update drivers etc.

Then play games non stop without crashes. Now one of those steps has caused my PC to work like a dream, but! i know that this 'Its now safe to turn off your PC' lark is gonna piss me off. choices, choices. resintall win XP with ACPI or leave as it. :( i hate life...

Had you not tried Step 2 before?

F

Furr

Yeah. But not for the latest bout of errors, i had about 2 months ago moved to a new PC case, but being a home build PC. Its dangerous in there :eek6:, i will post a pic of its insides and you'll be aghast!

S

ShockingAlberto

Wtf, so it's gonna hurt you to have to press the off button when you've shutdown? Oh didums, i canj see why that would be causing you grief... :rolleyes:

S

Summo

It would piss me off too. It's a little thing you take for granted until it's gone, I imagine.

T

Trem

My pc is working great as well, had no end of trouble a few months back(still getting lower scores with 512 ddr than i did with 256ddr though)the thing what stopped mine going wrong constantly was me stopping "fixing" it and putting XP on probably,bah im rambling now im soooooo ill and i've given it to samm:(

X

Xavier

the stability is more than likely the removal of ACPI, reintroduce it if you're happy for the return of lower performance (ACPI has system overhead) and instability if the auto shutdown feature is THAT valuable to ya ;)

T

Trem

......and where do I disable this ACPI thingymajig??I couldn't give a flying fuck about the shutdown thing, so i'm gonna disable it when one of you luberly peeps tells me how.

E

Embattle

BIOS normally but then you have to reinstall the OS I believe ;)

F

Furr

If you have Windows XP and you want to diable ACPI, follow these simple steps. :)

Start
--> control panel
--> Administrative tools
--> Computer management
--> Device manager.

select 'computer' it should say something about being ACPI compliant PC etc.

Open Its properties
--> click the driver tab
--> update driver
--> Install from a list or specific location
--> select' don't search i will choose the driver too install'
--> slect show compatible hardware
--> select standard pc
--> and follow the instructions.

Beware you will have to re-update most of your drivers as the PC has to now resintall all its driver bit and bob.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by FuROf knight
If you have Windows XP and you want to diable ACPI, follow these simple steps. :)

Start
--> control panel
--> Administrative tools
--> Computer management
--> Device manager.

select 'computer' it should say something about being ACPI compliant PC etc.

Open Its properties
--> click the driver tab
--> update driver
--> Install from a list or specific location
--> select' don't search i will choose the driver too install'
--> slect show compatible hardware
--> select standard pc
--> and follow the instructions.

Beware you will have to re-update most of your drivers as the PC has to now resintall all its driver bit and bob.

I didn't think that actually worked in reality...oh well.

F

Furr

Well thats an easier way of doing it.

I thought it was easy :(

/edit i should mention its one way only. If you want to re-enable ACPI you have to reinstall windows.

T

Trem

I feel the disadvantages far outway the advantages(me breaking stuff or me leaving stuff as is hmmmm)what the fuck is it anyway?

F

FuZor

I thought it replaced the win 9x IRQ system? in that all devices have the same IRQ, but ACPI contols em?

And i'm pretty sure on a good m/b it owned, cos 9x is messy a feck with IRQ's! 2000 uses it, so does XP. If u got it, USE IT simple :)

S

S-Gray

i hate pressin that shutdown button.. soo annoying :p

I like it where you click shutdown and turn off ya monitor then just go bed :p instead of waiting ages for the setting to save changes which takes a while :/

S

S-Gray

well, at startup, it takes about a min and half for me to use any programs (like connect to the net) CPU usage goes up to 99% then down to 3%.........

after that it runs OK

C

caLLous

Well I hardly ever turn my box off, so a little thing like having to press the power button wouldn't annoy me at all. :)

X

xane

I second what callous said, why turn off ?

My hardware problems dramatically improved when I started leaving the machine on, the screen saver will shut off the monitor so its minimal power drain anyway.

T

Trem

Originally posted by camazotz
I second what callous said, why turn off ?

My hardware problems dramatically improved when I started leaving the machine on, the screen saver will shut off the monitor so its minimal power drain anyway.
Say the processor fan decides to stop working though?Is there a safeguard against that?Would the pc just shutdown if that happened?

C

caLLous

As long as your cooling is sufficient (if it needs to be in your particular case (case, as in not computer case, bah)), there won't be any problems. My box is on for weeks at a time, when windows shows signs of giving up, I just reboot. It hasn't been off since I added a couple more fans about 2 months ago. :)

X

xane

Originally posted by Tremor
Say the processor fan decides to stop working though?Is there a safeguard against that?Would the pc just shutdown if that happened?

Intel CPUs have a built in shutdown if it gets critically hot, AMD have the same but only when using an approved motherboard (remember that Toms Hardware Guide article about a year ago on "smoking Athlons" ?)

One feature of ACPI is to detect the fan speeds and take appropriate action ... :)

P

PR.

Motherboard monitor also allows you to control things like emergency shutdowns of windows when the tempreture gets to hot...

F

Furr

the mobo i have has an alarm when the CPU reaches a certain temp and when it goes above that it shuts the Pc down, and doesn't let it restart till the CPU is cool again

X

xane

With most heatsinks, but not all designs, you could probably get away with a fan failure, having just the passive heatsink and a well-ventilated case may often be enough to keep the CPU cool if it is idle.

Of course, when you go to use it you'll get the mobo beeping and it'll go blank :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom