I am tired

M

minstrel_kyra

I am tired of this game. Not of my friends or guildmates, but of my realm. Now, I know many of you have heard me rant when things don't go my way in rvr, but this is different. The past few days I have really been giving this a lot of thought.

I remember when rvr used to be fun. It isn't anymore and hasn't been for a long time. Now exploring is getting tiring for me. All that hunting for what? Items to salvage for money for my sc kit so I can be "uber" and "pwn". Oh and now saving up for housing, which I do really, truly want.

But I really think our realm needs to get its priorities straight. When you attack a mid keep what happens? Before you get on the second door, you have 2 fg of mids on you to defend their keep. What happens when they or hibs attack us? We stand around and debate on whether they want df, whether or not we should go help and we lose the keep. I know I am guilty of this too and I am not blaming others while not blaming myself. My guild was on a hunt in Dales of Devwy when the Mids started in today. Did we drop what we were doing? No because we figured other people would take care of it. (in our defense a /who sauvage showed over 30 people, more than enough to take care of the then 2 fg of mids). But instead my realm mates did not stop the attacks and the keeps fell one by one.

So finally we decide enough is enough and we go to help. I ask who has the cg, and I get the reply "no one". Over 50 albs in our frontier now and no cg, no sense of organization at all. Ever heard of too many cooks ruin the pot? Well its true. Too many bosses and not enough people willing to follow orders of just one person. We managed to get to Beno and while now there are over 60 albs in our frontier, only about 2 fg of albs are at beno. Most are dead and the ones yelling for a ground target for the 3 trebs are ignored. More and more mids pour into beno and where are the albs? At Excal. Finally after hearing the same questions and trying to answer, only to hear my answer disregarded and somoene else decide what to do, I logged.

I finally decided enough is enough.

I spent my whole day behind this computer while my children are outside playing and having fun. Most of it was very enjoyable, spending time with my guildmates, having fun and hunting. Leaving from time to time to check on my kids. But as I sat here watching everyone over ride everyone else's decisions, it occurred to me. My kids won't care in 20 years if I did this or that in this game. Truth be told, I am a lousy leader in RVR and I don't really like taking charge. I just hate waiting around for someone else to get off their ass and make a decision.

And as for the albs who were in Emain (and i don't believe i am saying this) but in the heat of the battle, would 8 more albs really tip the scale if the 60+ of us couldn't? Sure their presence could have led some balance and leadership that we were unable to muster, but in the end it is just a game and that is how they choose to play it. If they choose to not defend their realm, that is their choice and not ours. Our duty lies in listening and following orders and defending our realm, not worrying about what others are doing.

So in typical Kyra fashion (making a short story into a long one), I am taking a break from the game. If you see me, I am finishing up crafting orders. I need a break to reassess my life and my addiction to this game. It has sucked so much of my life and I really think its time I took some of it back.

Good luck to Albion and I really hope you someday get the whole leadership thing figured out, cuz right now what we are doing is not really working.

S

stroopwafel

No point in trying to retake when most albs just stand in the courtyard getting DoTed or die from pbaoe in lordroom
and NOBODY will listen to what you have to say

happened to me in bg0
happened to me in frontier

i guess most albs are just too stupid or really hate me

M

Mavl

You are a good leader, but just quitting is not very nice. In any case there are still ppl that listen to you, remember about it.

well, that was just imho :(

Z

Zogoroth

fuck the game go out play with your kids, enjoy life n let loosers like the rest of us waste our lifes on games like this ;)

D

deadlock

well keep keeps at lvl 10 instead of leaving them on 1 as most guilds who have keeps do, gives u way more time to get out and defend.

G

Garnet

Have a nice break with your family Kyra and come back when refreshed :)

C

cHodAX

Don't come back Kyra, enjoy your children while they are young and forget all the bullshit in this game. :)

I made a huge rant post 9 months ago covering all the same topics you did and basically people either flamed or agreed with but no one took any action. Albion as a realm on this server has and always will suck because to many there too many big ego's who think they know better but never actually put any hard work in or try to organise a thing. Then there are the people who think they can run things but have a huge list of failures because they are tactically clueless or the force they command won't listen to orders. That is one reason I stopped organising raids and my raids never failed on keep doors but people still moaned like hell and told me they could do better.

Albion/Prydwen was born terminally ill on the first day of retail and there is no cure for it on the horizon :(

B

Balbor

trust me when i say having a long break, 1-2 months really helps. All the presure that you feel you are under now will have gone.

M

maxgirth

Kyra things will never change, when we 1st started playing this game it was based on teamwork, now it has completely changed, all the big guilds are diminishing rapidly, it`s even hard to get an 8 peeps xp group let alone getting enough together for a dragon hunt, or god forbid the realm getting it`s act together long enough to get df for a legion hunt etc.

What you witnessed last night, wasn`t imho people not wanting to listen or take orders, but doing a /who all revealed just under 500 non anon albs on, yet as we were losing keeps left right and centre, the amount of albs in sauvage never rose above 60.

Looking around they were nearly all the same old faces, weary,tired, and I dont think I was the only one who after witnessing the lethargy that our realm has become, thought I really can`t be fucking bothered with this anymore.

When was the last time we organised an RR , or had DF for a decent amount of time?, no matter how long you leave the game for hun, it will never be again, what you hope it may be on your return.

In all honesty I think what you witnessed last night, was the final straw from a lot of people, who have finally come to terms with the fact, that although this was once a fantastic team play game, we as a realm (unlike the midgards) have lost all our unity.

These are my thoughts anyway, and after 18 months of playing are based on more than what I saw last night.

N

-Nxs-

Play in the BG's for a while. with BG0 and BG1 its like the old days and realm ability free (mostly)

E

Esoteric

The huge rvr guilds who once roamed this server are dieing or are dead. It leaves a gapping hole, the reason sotl/loe played the game even though you hated them was for rvr and the big beastie raids, they did it well. Using experience and knowledge to fight for our frontiers and or represent us in emain/odins.

Most like me are stopping playing due to lack of updated content (for rvr) and other related boredoms.

When the rvr patch comes out you may see a resurgence of old timers but thats if its any good. People were willing to hang on for it cause it was scheduled for this year but they decided to put it back to after the launch of TOA a big big mistake.

And to those sceptics, albion was not always drab. I remember some great achievments including the capture of all three str relics in one go lead by Krillin, there are loads others that made me feel proud to be a pryd alb :). Please don't blame attitudes of the "people" of albion when really its lack of updated content and a end game design that doesnt hold appeal as much as the pvp. Having said that DAoC is a great game really is but patches are slow to be updated and those dinosaurs who have been knocking about a while are ruddy bored.

Kyra you were a lovely player good luck.

Oh and those on planetside I'll see you there ;-).
/tell Wicoa (Vanu)

O

old.Ziera

<hugs> I am sorry see you going, you know I am.

Albion is not incapable or unwilling to co-operate. I have seen that when organising events, but as Kyra said, there are too many proud leaders who will not bend for eachother.

I will miss you a lot, Kyra, as I said in my speach, you have inspired me and taught me much. Give your children a big hug and maybe I will see a novel from you in a couple of years? ;)

I remember the awe I felt when grouping with this level 50!! minstrel and alliance leader for the first time <grins> Hopefully, I will experience the joy of talking and laughing with you again :)

Take care, hun

I

Indiana Jones

Originally posted by Esoteric
Please don't blame attitudes of the "people" of albion when really its lack of updated content and a end game design that doesnt hold appeal as much as the pvp.

most of what you say is true, but the attitude of the "albions" is part of the problem

when keeps in our frontier are under attack...hardly 2 fg usually show up to defend it
even with updated RvR, this won't change....
i can understand people are getting bored of RvR but if we are under attack, try to help instead of lvling yet another alt

C

Coren

Can't really blame Albs for not listening to all these self proclaimed 'leaders'. People are getting sick of listening to 'Warlords' and 'Generals' that don't really contribute more to a defence than just keeping at least half of the zerg in the same spot for at least 30 min, while they could've done something useful if they just showed some common sense and initiative. Yet the people who do try to do something useful get flamed for not listening to 'the leader'.

If you want to lead something, go lead a PvE raid or some relic raid. Just leave the defence to common sense untill someone really capable of overseeing the entire situation and being able to react immediately shows up. Which won't happen with this game mechanics. :p

M

maxgirth

Originally posted by Esoteric
The huge rvr guilds who once roamed this server are dieing or are dead. It leaves a gapping hole, the reason sotl/loe played the game even though you hated them was for rvr and the big beastie raids, they did it well. Using experience and knowledge to fight for our frontiers and or represent us in emain/odins.

These are nearly word for word what I expressed on /gu very early this morning.

Since the demise of sotl and loe, our realm has lost direction, when was the last time mids/hibs had to recapture 6 of their keeps from an Albion grasp?.

I think one of our major problems is to many guilds and not enough power, if more peeps who started playing joined long established guilds, rather than forming their own each of our claimed keeps would be of a decent upgrade, and when the guard deathspam started there would be sufficient players on line to put up some form of defence.

Okay we got all keeps back bar Ren, but the problem is how quickly we lost them in the 1st place, and why have we stopped taking mids/hibs keep in numbers, to, at the very least open the cash mine that is DF?

C

Cstasy

Kyra for once i agree, take a break, it helps loads.

M

Mr-Coffee

My experience is that, if your below level 45 its close to impossible to get a group, when we are going to the frontiers, our own aswell as the enemy frontiers... be it for fun, keep take, or defence!

I, as level

46 RR2L5 paladin,
43 RR2L2 friar or
37 (speed 4) RR2L0 Minstrel,

rarely get a group for the first hour im in the frontiers, because people are more intrested in makeing Realmpoints than to see something grow from the efford they put in the fighting....

its true, that I as level 37 cant really kill anything, but my mez is rarely resisted, I still have the anti-mez-spell, and I do interupt casters! And speed 4 is better that no speed at all....

well to the point... If people, above level 45, invite people below 45 for RvR, I think you would see more people coming to defend/attack... I for one is tired of running alone from AMG to MMG just to be overrun by level 50 zergs, Mids aswell as Hib and Albs... just to see the deathspam of one or two full groups being slaughtered... and when I finially arrive, I either get jumped by 3-5 shabowblades, or zerged by 1-3 full groups... or in rare cases seeing the albs resting, and the mids/hibs releasing...

O

old.linnet

Enjoy your break, Kyra (Chodax is right, tho, don't worry if you never want to come back, it has been good while it lasted ;) )

I don't think the new guilds are a problem, really. For a lot of people, it is more fun to explore and learn things together etc, even if it seems ineffective to people in older guilds with more experience/ cash/ crafters.

And I bet a lot of the older guilds aren't as friendly to new players as they were once, if only because old-timers do get tired and no longer have the enthusiasm for helping out and showing people around that they once did. (Even nice people do get tired ;) And probably don't always realise it.) Lack of strong alliances _is_ a problem, though.

It's just a game. If it stops being fun, if you feel tired of it every time you log in, if you spend more time being frustrated with your realm mates than having fun with your guildies ... it's time to rest.

(I'm off for awhile too for the same reason. But it has been great fun while it lasted, and we have lots of great players on Pryd/Alb. And I am proud of lots of stuff we have done.)

J

Jenkz

Albion/Prydwen was born terminally ill on the first day of retail and there is no cure for it on the horizon

exactly the reason some people prefer to keep themselves to themselves and play the game how they want.

having to rely on 60+ people to forfull your "goals" in a days "fun" is much more difficult to achieve, much more easily ruined, than only having to rely on a handful who actually agree with you.

M

maxgirth

Not to many months ago I witnessed one of the best frontier defences/retakes ever, we had lost severall keeps including beno, there were many albs in HW, Vayasen led loe and a few other guilds for retakes starting with beno, whilst Liste was in control of a decent size army at mmg.

We held the mids at mmg trying to come through, plus the odd skirmishes from hibs coming from behind, everyone listened to Liste, the whole operation ran smooth as clockwork, not to many hours later Vayasen had secured all our keeps, and we had secured mmg.

Nowadays we sit at excal and basically rely on the last form of defence, which are the gates of our relic keep, it`s only a matter of time before the mids relieve us of our str relics, unless we go out there with numbers and meet them.

I remember the good old days when losing 2 keeps was a hearty alarm call to getting your butts to excal, forming a cg and getting the keeps back.

It`s not exactly rocket science is it guys?

T

Turamber

Originally posted by maxgirth
Not to many months ago I witnessed one of the best frontier defences/retakes ever ... Nowadays we sit at excal and basically rely on the last form of defence

But -- people were lamenting the sorry state of Albion's defence back then too. There were flamefests galore about how we were 'finished' and 'useless', there have been since day one of retail.

Sometimes Albion does well, other days it doesn't. No big deal, and certainly no need for histrionics.

T

Tafaya Anathas

When we attack a mid keep, 50+ mids come within an hour to take it back. When hibs/mids take one of our keeps, we wait 2 hours and after then we going in 1-2 fgs, and get farmed.

We have to set up rules, name leaders or one day we will realize that we haven't got any keeps and relics.

Btw yd I felt exactly like Kyra.

N

Nightchill

Though this may all be true, there has been some shining moments of co-operation and organisation. The Unity retake of Renaris wasn't long ago and proved how easy things are if someone takes the time to plan.

Everyone can voice the problem but no one seems willing to put the (massive amounts of) time to focus the realm.

H

Heffer

hmm personally i think all the "ahh ffs albion is useless" shit is just an excuse, and an excuse that i feels puts unwanted pressure on people that destroys fun in a old lacking of fun game as it stands!

Mr girth has some very truthfull comments as per usual hes a diamond bloke and knows what hes talking bout but a lot of players loose interest....leave or just tag along playing with less interest! so less raids or hunts etc...get made or planned!

yes i do agree that some people need to lose their big ego's saying im RR872465 im better let me lead if you lead im not listenin! cause its jsut unhelpful! all should make a very fast vote on who leads and jsut stfu and follow!

Heffies final thought: less talk more action....yes its all fine and dandy moaning on here about people gets a lot off ya shoulders i know and have experienced it! but if after a "polite" :p moan on here go take action show the people what you mean when you speak on here! take action create a decent dragon raid organise a RR!! DO IT dont sit here and say dam why dont anyone do it!!

ahh well anyway kyra your a really really nice person everyone loves you and you will be missed break help i hope you enjoy yours and go spend some time with your kids and live life! \o/ :):):)

T

Turamber

Originally posted by Tafaya Anathas
When we attack a mid keep, 50+ mids come within an hour to take it back

This is a huge case of the 'grass is always greener' syndrome. Although I've not played for a few weeks now I regularly went on Middie keep taking sessions -- and I can say, with all certainty, that 50+ Mids don't always turn up within an hour.

Relax, it's a game ... nothing that happens in it means anything - hence when it gets boring find something else to do :)

M

maxgirth

Originally posted by Turamber
But -- people were lamenting the sorry state of Albion's defence back then too. There were flamefests galore about how we were 'finished' and 'useless', there have been since day one of retail.

Sometimes Albion does well, other days it doesn't. No big deal, and certainly no need for histrionics.

Have you been playing recently and seen how long we have had DF for any decent amount of time?

O

old.Chavez

Albion is a pos realm at the moment. No leadership, no direction...no initiative.

Mids have DF 6 days a week reflecting on how albs give a shit about their frontier. They had renaris from friday till sunday morning.

The problem of course is that albs lack initiative and basically just reacts to what mids are doing. This wears people down fast to a point where they just dont care anymore.

When was the last time people took fensalir and farmed mids ? I mean the mids to the same to us 1-3 times a week.

Albs may have problems regarding realm defense but the lack of offense is the real disease.....

M

maxgirth

Originally posted by Turamber

Relax, it's a game ... nothing that happens in it means anything - hence

How relaxed were you after spending all those rp`s on lifter, and still not be able to carry a ram bud? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom