Music I Am The Man

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Roo Stercogburn - I Am The Man - SoundCloud

Work in progress (about 90% complete), all feedback gratefully received.

artworks-000001499224-mwrnl4-crop.jpg

There just aren't enough songs in the world about Joe.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Quite enjoyed that tbh - don't take that the wrong way as it's not the sort of thing I listen to at home usually (though I have been making my way through your stuff).

The person doing the 'I am the Man' bit - that's not Andrew thingy from Sisters of Mercy is it?

The whole thing does seem to be a blend of something a bit 80's and something you might here in a club - I take it that's the aim? I don't mean bad 80's pop, just has that vibe to some of the effects and coupled with the 'I am the Man' sounding like the bloke from SoM makes it quite prevalent to me.

Reminds me of when I played guitar in a Gothic Dance (??) band about 15 years ago.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The whole thing does seem to be a blend of something a bit 80's and something you might here in a club - I take it that's the aim? I don't mean bad 80's pop, just has that vibe to some of the effects and coupled with the 'I am the Man' sounding like the bloke from SoM makes it quite prevalent to me.

Reminds me of when I played guitar in a Gothic Dance (??) band about 15 years ago.

Right, lunchbreak, can answer properly :D

Aye, the goal was to go for a mix of styles, techno, some DnB here and there, and some gothic giggles, hopefully producing a result that was just a mixture of stuff that becomes fun.

I don't use any samples from anyone else's music. I know that puts me a bit out of step with many people who currently produce music but I find that style a bit too derivative for me to be comfortable. I'm not saying others don't produce something fresh and inspiring by doing this, I'm just saying its not for me :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Not really bumping as this is the last thread posted on in here.

Something I realised based on feedback on some other forums. A lot of people aren't getting that this is way less than serious. From the Heaven 17 style chords to the fake gothness. I take the process seriously, but not always the content :D

Maybe if I make the 'Dance people' more obviously something about dodging a Lawgiver on full auto. So, crap delivery on my part for this I guess :)

Genedril

Part of the furniture
If it's you - well done on sounding like you're in Sisters of Mercy ;).

I didn't think this was as serious as some of your other stuff - it's quite tongue in cheek if you ask me (though that is not a condemnation, merely an observation).

It's quite eclectic to my ear with the Goth influence (listening again the bass sounds quite 80's Goth aswell); some 80's pop sounds going on in the background; the more modern dance beat (wouldn't really know DnB as it's never been my 'thing') quite liking the drum riff in there too.

If people don't get it for the humour are they still liking it? It works quite well in it's own right imho.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Hehe thanks. Yeh, I worked out a neat way of recording my voice and overlaying it with itself and some fx to get a somewhat Sisters Of Mercy style delivery. It was hard to keep a straight face while doing it.

The '80s bits are intended specifically to sound Heaven 17 stylee. I despised most of the '80s mainstream music but some of the pioneering electronica of the era is still wonderful.

Its hard to gauge the reaction. The drums need beefing up (soundwise and general production) but I'm unlikely to get time to revisit this for another month or more. Some very serious people are appalled but others seem to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom