Rant i am cursed:/

Yaka

Part of the furniture
tuesday my pc clapped out bright spark from psu with clapping noise. i immediately started saving stuff i needed to a usb stick and shut it down, its preety much dead now, the wifes vostro 1500 when out with it making and eeeeeeeeee sound. Wednesday evening sitting down to watch footie and my onkyo amp does not turn on at all. sourced an old yammy a5 amp after the game, managed 2 mins of mgs4 and that has diead on me as well:/

now to decide wot i want new amp or new pc:/

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Blimey, sorry Yaka :( It's nice to buy new kit, but not when your arm is forced like this.

Just out of curioisity, do you live in an old house? Maybe the wiring is causing problems with your electricals.

Kind regards

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Ouch. Not a lot more ya can say tbh except echo Jonty about wiring.

Surgest a sticky for this, then when i have one of them days when nothing goes right I can read this and feel not so bad.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, check that wiring, I'd not want to be risking plugging anything else in until it's sorted out. Surge protection is a maybe but can only help so far, won't fix undercurrent.

As I like to keep saying, if the PSU goes on your PC it could have taken any other part with it. On the other hand, if it's a decent one, you may have been very lucky and all it requires is a new supply.
Checked the fuse on the amp? (internal as well as external). That may be a straight forward replacement, 99p instead of the cost of a new amp isn't a bad thing :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
the wiring is fine as we had the whole place rewired in 2001, as for surge protection i have 2 belkin surge protectors in which everything is plugged into actually got 2 new ones today.
pc was a shuttle xpc sn75g2 with a 300w psu.

the onkyo is at richer sounds now, they are gonna have a look at it and prolly give me a replacement it smely burnt. the old yammy comes on now but out puts only thru headphone socket.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Well that's either very, very damned unlucky, you are indeed cursed or more likely there is a reason for things to just start frying. Shuttle PSU's are not low quality, nor would an amp of that standard just "popping". I'd still get something looked at - certainly if they popped when using surge protection.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Only plus point is that there are not many 605's around now, so Richer may give you a 606 in exchange :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yeah i have called an electrician to have look at everythingjust too make sure nothing else dies on me

as for richersounds despite the fact they mainly sell end of line stuff they have top notch hassle free customer service,

Yaka

Part of the furniture
well got a psu after a quick drive to pcw, pc is working or rather booting but windows wont boot past xp logo, and re-installing winxp gives me a bsod and none stop reboots after a few seconds. tried sticking a spare 40gb lappy sata drive on and installing xp but i get the same problem. it could be 3 things cpu,mem or mobo.

well i guess now i shall be playing crysis sooner than i thought i would be thanks to me needing a new pc

Chilly

Balls of steel
low voltage fucking your equipment over caused by under-supply in the power market recently ?

run memtestx86, get a linux bootdisk, format the hdd with ext2 or 3 and run a full fsck.ext. as for cpu, if you can get into a linux livecd run prime95 for a bit in test mode. your bios or utils partition (if its a dell?) may have all this built in anyway.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
memtest runs for a bit then pc randomly reboots a bit after test 2, ubuntu live cd worked fine till it froze 30mins later, tried installing ubuntu on spare hdd, installed fine then would freeze shortly after reboot

Yaka

Part of the furniture
well found the problem, shuttle sent the mobo back with no problems but with a note to call thier european customer service with a ref number which i found odd but called it none the less. after speaking to a german chap( ithink he was german)

he began asking me what i thought were silly questions. like how long i had the xpc mobo how long has it been on for and was it located in a carpeted room. after a bit he talked into answering him then he said the psu is prolly filled with dust and should either send it in for a replacement or he whispered removed the psu from the case and blast it thru both fan holes till the compressed air can is empty.

anyways i tried what he said and no dust, in fact no airefrom the can was coming out the other side. so i decided to open the bugger up. and was gobsmacked somuch dust crammed into the dinky xpc psu that it looked like grey woold had been stuffed in there. after a giving that a good clean the and the shuttle pc werks fine

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
the wiring is fine as we had the whole place rewired in 2001, as for surge protection i have 2 belkin surge protectors in which everything is plugged into actually got 2 new ones today.
pc was a shuttle xpc sn75g2 with a 300w psu.

the onkyo is at richer sounds now, they are gonna have a look at it and prolly give me a replacement it smely burnt. the old yammy comes on now but out puts only thru headphone socket.

The belkin ones are utter shit, i have my PC plugged into one and it didnt stop my PC burning out when we had a power surge.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Blimey. Just checked the airflow on my XPC fan. There doesnt appear to be any....

Ill have the bugger apart tonight and clean it out. The inside of the case is covered in a think layer of dust too.

The PC has been on 24/7 for about the last 2.5 years as its my gateway/firewall box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom