I aer winnar!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not jealous.

Envious to the point of hatred, but definitely not jealous.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Xavier said:
So it's a palm and not a pocketpc? Pity. :(

Pah. The ONLY reason I have a Pocket PC rather than Palm is because it integrates with Outlook/Corporate network better. Other than that, I think they're vastly overrated, particularly because I've never found a Pocket PC yet that didn't have totally shit battery life. As a 'standalone' or 'home' PDA (e.g. not tied to a corporate network), the Tungsten is a much better device than an iPaq; it doesn't do a ton of stupid crap you don't need and there's an absolute shedload of software available, and you know you can leave it for weeks without charging it (so long as you switch WiFi/bluetooth off).

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
Pah. The ONLY reason I have a Pocket PC rather than Palm is because it integrates with Outlook/Corporate network better. Other than that, I think they're vastly overrated, particularly because I've never found a Pocket PC yet that didn't have totally shit battery life. As a 'standalone' or 'home' PDA (e.g. not tied to a corporate network), the Tungsten is a much better device than an iPaq; it doesn't do a ton of stupid crap you don't need and there's an absolute shedload of software available, and you know you can leave it for weeks without charging it (so long as you switch WiFi/bluetooth off).
Having both a Palm and iPaq, as well as their 'mobile phone' variants (Treo 600, XDA-II) I've got to say that the latest PocketPCs are easily as good as the palms for battery life. Palm used to get away with a small battery because of the relatively low-drain screen, but because of the addition of bright colour displays they're on a par with the iPaqs for real-world use.

On the note of outlook connectivity, have you seen or used Exchange Activesync yet? It has to be the most polished messaging/PIM solution I've ever encountered, over a GPRS connection my XDA-II can sync all my outlook data, including contacts, calendar and email and the PDA acts as a true extension of the Outlook desktop app. Sent items are filed accordingly on the server, meeting requests are handled properly and if I decline/update the other attendees immediately informed. It's a pity Microsoft have taken so long to get WindowsCE to this point, but Exchange2003/Windows Mobile 2003 is definately the way forwards.

I had an incident a little while ago when I was in the states where I lost my XDA-II and thought I was going to end up stranded without the necessary mail and contact info for my trip, but 24 hours later I had a new XDA care of my insurance and just by entering my username/password and server details all my sms, contacts, calendar and email were restored. Try doing that with any other device, including the Palm. In short you can't.

Sar

Part of the furniture
It's Free!

This does not have a downside imo.

:)

PS: I'll only be using it as a PDA, rarely as a net connection or over a corporate network, as there's not many hotspots where I live (although there's quite a few in Belfast), which is just outside Belfast.

I just hope my new location in work is near one, so I can maybe use it wirelessly from work.

:)

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Xavier said:
..but 24 hours later I had a new XDA care of my insurance and just by entering my username/password and server details all my sms, contacts, calendar and email were restored. Try doing that with any other device, including the Palm. In short you can't.
I can do that on my Treo 600 using the Orange "over the air" backup software.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
a Only when you're in the UK connecting directly to their GPRS bearer or dialup. Outside england, you're fooked. All of the mobile sync content is wall-gardened to their internal networks for security reasons.

^^ has a treo 600 too.

Xav

Sar

Part of the furniture
XAV said:
I had an incident a little while ago when I was in the states where I lost my XDA-II and thought I was going to end up stranded without the necessary mail and contact info for my trip, but 24 hours later I had a new XDA care of my insurance and just by entering my username/password and server details all my sms, contacts, calendar and email were restored. Try doing that with any other device, including the Palm. In short you can't.

Surely that's down to software, rather than being specifically due to the hardware?

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
I should use my PDA for more. I used it to sync Avantgo so I could read a few websites if I was sat in the car. Other than that and the GPS I have no use for mine. What you guys use yours for?

Sar

Part of the furniture
Well I hope to be using mine for occassional Web surfing & Email, but more often than not for playing games, listening to audio, writing and notes.

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah suppose I could use mine as an mp3 player. Didnt think of that. Surfing then web though is shite and slow.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I use mine for:

Email
GPS nav
Surfing
Storing vital info for work (eg locations, call times)
Making notes

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
I use mine for:

Meeting notes
Email
Contacts
Calendar
Work info like passwords, IPs and software serial numbers
A bit of web surfing
MP3 music listening
eBooks
Reference info using Repligo

All on my iPAQ 5450 with a 256mb SD Card :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Sar said:
Surely that's down to software, rather than being specifically due to the hardware?

Nope, the XDA can do it because it will simply sync with any exchange 2003 server, so I point mine at the server we have running for TechNation and it does the rest.

The sync on the treo is an application added by orange and is a network feature, when you're off their network and roaming, it's useless.

My point was about native capability anyhow, as a standalone stock item, the treo can't even utilise the sync orange offer. The action engine backup is an application they add to the extended rom of their customised orange branded firmwares. Out of the box, even simfree, the XDA does the lot.

Xav

\\adds\ - apparently out of the box orange can't even get MMS and line 2 working on the XDA-II, they just launched it on their network as the SPV-M1000 at £450, it has the camera but the only way it can send photos is via email :eek7:

Sar

Part of the furniture
*bump*

It came yesterday.

/me likey a lotty

That mobile pr0n was a great idea ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom