I aer farmer

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've got an allotment, and I'm loving it. Of course everything will either go rotten and die, or spiral out of control, or I'll inadvertently grow Triffids.

This is it, when I first got it. I have what you can see leading up to the white-painted house (the house with the green doors is someone else's plot). I should have what's on the left side of the path also, but spaces are short and they're only giving out half-plots now.

4543114596_f8a0f850a1_b.jpg

This was a couple of days later:

4545808239_e5b510f387_b.jpg

This was it the other day:

4554114159_4e85ef9900_b.jpg

I never thought I'd be into this kind of thing, but I find it quite therapeutic. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can make it work. I have potatoes, onions, garlic, 3 types of lettuce, corn, and radish in there right now. I've got sugar snap peas germinating on my windowsill waiting to go in. I'm going to plant some strawberries at the back, and I'm going to buy a couple of trees too.

The only downside is near the house its a fucking mess, loads of gravel and shit. That'll take a while to clear.

Chilly

Balls of steel
whack some opium in there.

good going, can get a shitload of food from those plots. taters keep for ages, as do onions so have no fear of growing a big heap. consider planting several variaties of the stuff that needs to be eaten fresh and planting out accordingly so that they ripen in a staggered fashion.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Some handy shovel work there. Third pic not currently showing but it looks like you put a lot of work in. I hope you get some nice results :)

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Oh god this is going to be like trem vs birds all over again!

rynnor

Rockhound
I tried growing my own fruit n veg but gave up in the end because I was using more chemicals than Saddam.

Its not a relaxing past-time its TOTAL WAR!!!

Everything that crawls or flys is your enemy plus fungal rots and diseases.

It made me realise that large scale food production is the only way for many vulnerable crops.

There are things that thrive - tomatoes, potatoes and some of the exotics but things like lettuce,strawberries etc. might as well have huge targets painted on them :p

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Last time I tried to grow plants it consisted of bell peppers that came out smaller than a drained camel nut :<

Looking good Tom :>

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
when the zombie apocalypse begins, Tom and Will are our go-to guys! :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You realise that if you get anything to grow that Trem will become your number 1 enemy?

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
nice one tom hope it goes well for you.

im playing a waiting game been on zlist for an allotment for a while now but have my own carrots growing in the front garden

Hoping for an allotment soonish so i can get planting.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It took me about a year to get this one. You need some netting for those carrots :)

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
My missus and kids are currently growing;

Strawberries, Potatoes, Spring Onions, Raspberries, Carrots, Turnips and Courgettes in our back garden. Oh and pumpkins soon I think.

Can't really say I'm into growing stuff but it is relaxing digging holes etc. Just dug a hole 1.7mx0.70mx0.40m to sink a cast iron bath into the ground (Missus idea for a sandpit in the floor) and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
My missus and kids are currently growing;

Strawberries, Potatoes, Spring Onions, Raspberries, Carrots, Turnips and Courgettes in our back garden. Oh and pumpkins soon I think.

Can't really say I'm into growing stuff but it is relaxing digging holes etc. Just dug a hole 1.7mx0.70mx0.40m to sink a cast iron bath into the ground (Missus idea for a sandpit in the floor) and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Manly inst it!

Jail Bait

Fledgling Freddie
I've got an allotment, and I'm loving it. Of course everything will either go rotten and die, or spiral out of control, or I'll inadvertently grow Triffids.

This is it, when I first got it. I have what you can see leading up to the white-painted house (the house with the green doors is someone else's plot). I should have what's on the left side of the path also, but spaces are short and they're only giving out half-plots now.

4543114596_f8a0f850a1_b.jpg

This was a couple of days later:

4545808239_e5b510f387_b.jpg

This was it the other day:

4554114159_4e85ef9900_b.jpg

I never thought I'd be into this kind of thing, but I find it quite therapeutic. I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can make it work. I have potatoes, onions, garlic, 3 types of lettuce, corn, and radish in there right now. I've got sugar snap peas germinating on my windowsill waiting to go in. I'm going to plant some strawberries at the back, and I'm going to buy a couple of trees too.

The only downside is near the house its a fucking mess, loads of gravel and shit. That'll take a while to clear.
Wow I have to hand it to you Tom you have done a lot of work.

I have a small farm 154 acres, of which 20 I use for market gardening.

You have done more work on your plot than I do all year.

My Uncle farms 10,000 acres and does less work than you.

<Salute>

TdC

wow, I've never seen apples compared to shoes before o_0

Airhead

Fledgling Freddie
I apologize for my Yank ignorance, but I'm assuming an "allotment" is a veggie patch...if so, who actually owns them, and who decides who gets to use it?

TdC

as far as I know, the local council actually owns them, and you can rent or lease them for a private garden or veggie growing thing. they're not very large: Tom's looks to be about 6m2 or so.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Erm its a big bigger than 6x6 metres Teeds :)

TdC

my mistake, I thought it was only that middle patch there Tom. I guesstimated that at 2x3m.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No its the entire stretch in the first pic, and each plot is way bigger than 2x3 :)

TdC

oh, sweet ass that's quite a large patch then. my guesstimation stemmed from the fork standing in the last pic which I guessed to be a meter or so high, and the gloves in the foreground left. so, either you have extremely large hands, or I'm really shit at estimating areas :D

rynnor

Rockhound
Is it really somebodies back garden as it looks like? Do they walk out their back door straight out onto allotments??

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This may clarify - and it doesn't include what's behind me...

4578781685_87e5334165_b.jpg

I'm hoping to get the other half (on the right) if nobody turns up to claim it.

Airhead

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, that's pretty neat. You're right about gardening being Zen-like. Unfortunately where I live the deer and wild turkeys eat anything green so gardens are out. (No, we can't shoot the deer and turkeys.)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I planted some pumpkin, courgette, rocket, tomato and chilli seeds this morning and they've not fucking sprouted.

I've been watching ALL DAY ffs! :eek:

Airhead

Fledgling Freddie
I planted some pumpkin, courgette, rocket, tomato and chilli seeds this morning and they've not fucking sprouted.

I've been watching ALL DAY ffs! :eek:

That's odd...I planted some pumpkin, tomatoes and chilies this morning and this evening I harvested a feast that fed 200 people.

But, then again, I live in California. We have a short growing season- 12 hours, tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom