I’m in the market for a new fancy big TV

Doubledanger

Banned
So I’m in the market for a new fancy big TV (I'm thinking around 70"). The reason I’m buying a new one is that my current 20-year-old TV has a busload of things burned into the screen from years of gaming. I have meters in all four corners. I have the opening screen to the original Nintendo and (I think) the PSX. I have random ghosts of things that I don’t know what they are. I am really bad about passing out in front of the TV with my game paused. So, I want to buy a new TV, but I never want this to happen to me again. Anyone know what kind of TV won’t do this? I asked Google and it gave me this, is this a good thing: http://www.dlp.com/

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you pass out infront of a dlp, you will reduce the bulb life considerably.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I have no idea what TVs won't do burn in. DLP is a yummy new tech but it can cause headaches if you get one with a colour wheel (as opposed to having one light for each colour). They do look shockingly yummy though

Doubledanger

Banned
yummy yummy yummy, i love the DLP tvs, wold have to say if you want to be the best you have to buy the best and that right now is DLP Tech and in the future it will be PS3, i want ma PS3. hehe

Yaka

Part of the furniture
not sure if makro still have an offer on but they were doing a while stocks last deal on sagem dlp hd ready tvs 45" ones were around £750 and 50" were around £850

Yaka

Part of the furniture
SheepCow said:
I have no idea what TVs won't do burn in. DLP is a yummy new tech but it can cause headaches if you get one with a colour wheel (as opposed to having one light for each colour). They do look shockingly yummy though

al dlps tv have wheels on i think, but the technogly has improved a heck of alot over the past 5 years. the yanks i belive prefer dlps over lcds and plasmas due tho thier sheer size and less of a hit on the wallet

Doubledanger

Banned
yea DLP tv are also lighter in weight, i was looking at a 61in TV that weighs 80lbs cant beat that.

Doubledanger

Banned
Yea just imagine playing Metal Gear Solid 4 at a movie theater, but for now I will be dreaming of something I can afford, and that is DLP, right, now. hehe

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I've not seen any sets which can display 1920x1080p... The PS3 will probably support that res, as will Blu-Ray, so Sony must have a TV to support it?

Doubledanger

Banned
Some DLP from Samsung can suppurt 1080p but you pay a little more for them, i have been looking at them, might go with them not sure yet.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Escape said:
I've not seen any sets which can display 1920x1080p... The PS3 will probably support that res, as will Blu-Ray, so Sony must have a TV to support it?

My TV does. There are 2-3 lcds on the market with full 1080p now, and yes, there are a couple of the new Bravias that have it. In terms of content though, PS3 is it, and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future, and I think even then its only for some games, not for Blu-Ray content.

Edit. Funnily enough I've heard that one of the problems with DLP is how it deals with games in SD or lower HD resies; it's noticably slower than an equivalent LCD. The other big advantages of LCDs are the much smaller footprint and much lower power use. One of the reasons why DLP is being seen as a more popular choice in the US is simply that US houses tend to have more room than their UK/Euro counterparts.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I think you're missing the simplist solution when it comes to burn in. Set the sleep timer to around 2 hours when you're playing and then if you doze off the tv will turn itself off :)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
If I passed out whilst gaming, the TV would be the least of my worries :eek7:

Doubledanger

Banned
what you saying I have a gaming addiction, hehe maybe I do, but was just thinking to mistake proof myself would be easier with a DLP tv, hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom