HTML and CSS

P

pcg79

First dont start with the 'oh you shouldnt do that that way' fraff. whats done is done.

on to business.

i have a css stylesheet with td properties to not repeat background images as, thats what i need it to do for the most part of the time.

but on the sides i want to have a filler to have a black border going down the side - by repeating images. ive tried adding background-repeat="repeat" in the relevant places but i think the css is overriding it.

is there a way ? using the css even ?

i tried adding

side { background-repeat: repeat; }

to the css then adding <side></side> after the </td> of the relevant cell but that didnt work either.

ideas on a postcard and a custom title* to the one that helps the most !

*prize of custom title is non redeemable

F

FatBusinessman

I'd say have something in your stylesheet saying:
Code:
.side { background-repeat: repeat; }

And with whatever TD elements you have in the side, you call them

Code:
<td class="side">

That's one way to do it - there's another way involving creating a "sidebar" division in which all TD elements have repeating backgrounds, but that's somewhat more complicated, and I don't really understand it myself.

L

LazyJim

A few things to rememememember...

You can't add tags if your doucment is displayed as HTML. You can add tags to XML documents but they are not used in the same way.

inline css declarations overide style sheets
internal style sheets override externally linked ones

you can also specify the repeat direction using "repeat-x" and "repeat-y" values.

you can even set where the background repeat image alignment, if you want the edge of the image to be be flush with the right hand side for example: "backround-position: middle middle", replace the two "middle"s with top, bottom, left and right, experiment with it.

- I could be wrong on any part of the above, I wrote it off the top of my head, and if you've ever tried reading something that's on top of your head, you'll know it ain't that reliable! :D

Finally to learn how to use XML or CSS, please visit http://www.w3schools.com and to check the details try http://www.w3c.org

Users who are viewing this thread