Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Granted, its dirt cheap, but I just don't need one

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Seems to be out of stock already anyhoo

soze

I am a FH squatter
I got a 16 gb one though work now to wait for Modaco ect to release a Honeycomb ROM and I have a dirt cheap dual core tab. Or I wasted my money.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It's not a bad little thing in itself, just not worth £400.
£89/£115 is much more worth it.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
For sofa surfing or taking in to work to amuse myself on breaks, it'd be worth the £89 quid. Pity I never got one.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Reserved one at Currys for tomorrow.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
HP TouchPad Tablet PC - 32GB at cheap prices | PC World

In stock atm, just ordered for £115.99

I don't need one but it's 1/4 of the price of a comparable iPad, I can teach my mum e-mail, etc. on it and it'll be something I can hack to destruction and not care if I break it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Absolute fuckers at Currys. I reserved one and brought the email confirmation to the store but they said my name wasn't on their system so would I kindly fuck off (paraphrase.)

Shoddy cunts.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They were still ringing theirs through the tills when I came in. Girl next to me got hers though. Just not me.

*angry*

Starman

Part of the furniture
Was gonna pick up myself one for no real reason but appears I missed my chance. Hey ho...

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I went into a large Carphone Warehouse and asked them.

CPW: "Sold out sorry".
I smiled, looked them in the eye and without looking away, pointed at the HP display... "You've got one right there".
CPW: "We can't sell that one sorry"
Zenith: "Why not? You have no stock, your warehouse has no stock, you're not going to be getting any more stock so your display is surplus to requirements. I'm offering you money to take that one off your hands."
CPW: "Not my decision sorry. The manager would have to make that decision."
Zenith: "Where's your manager?"
CPW: "He's off today"
Zenith: "...."

Tried the same thing in a large PC World as well. They didn't even have a display model.

Tried it in Staples. I got the feeling the servodroid wanted the ex-display one for himself and tried to come up with this elaborate reason why he couldn't sell it. I told him if he wanted it for himself to just say so. I'll go back in the morning and speak to the store manager about it.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Whats wrong with them, why have HP discontined them after 2 months?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I told him if he wanted it for himself to just say so. I'll go back in the morning and speak to the store manager about it.

Perk of the job, I doubt his manager would sell it to you over a member of staff. It's shitty enough working in retail in the first place, leave them the few perks available.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Perk of the job, I doubt his manager would sell it to you over a member of staff. It's shitty enough working in retail in the first place, leave them the few perks available.

Sure. Except when they delete your pre-order so they can have it themselves instead.

Cunts.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
they dicontinued them because
a) they werent that good
b) they were WAY too late getting into the game.
c) they were not selling well at their original price.

pity you guys werent in Germany - they were selling them off for 59 Euros over there.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Don't get me wrong, as tablets go it's not bad for ordinary day to day use and even comes with Skype out of the box. The problem HP had was trying to shoehorn into a market dominated by iOS and Android without the software catalogue to back it up. The price point didn't help either.

When HP's CEO decided to make a hardware company ditch hardware and go into software, he effectively put a gun to Touchpad's head and pulled the trigger. No-one would buy them at all at the old price. By dropping the price so low, HP manage to recoup *some* of their manufacturing costs. Inadvertently, they also found the price point people will buy a reasonably specced piece of tablet hardware. We now know that it takes a tablet to be in the £100/$100/€100 range to start selling. There are plenty of tablets at that price point, but none with capacitive IPS screens and dual-core CPU.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have a "mate" on Facebook who has posted something like, For anyone who could not pickup a TouchPad I got 4 letting them go for £120 each. So it's not just the staff stopping people buying one it's people who see a profit in it :(

kirennia

Part of the furniture

It did look nice... I need to be less judgemental (?) though. The end few minutes made that guy seem like a complete K-nut to me. No need; just end the video (perhaps I should have stopped listening rather then just shutting my eyes).

I do have to say, if I could have gotten a tablet for around £100, I can completely see the point in them.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I never managed to get one "new" but snagged a 32gb one off ebay for £175. A bit more than I was hoping to pay but definitely worth it.

I was planning to stick cyanoganmod on at some point, but tbh so far I'm quite happy with WebOS purely cos Kalemsoft Media player seems to be better than anything I've seen on android. The browser is annoying at times though, since it doesnt remember passwords and randomly loads cached webpages rather than the most recent one - ie if I load FH I'll have to press refresh again after it opens

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I get the refresh thing on the browser, it sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom