[SWORDMASTER] How you all finding the class?

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
As topic says ^^

I rerolled from Runepriest and am in mid 20's at the moment

i have played around with both 2h and sword and shield, am finding S+S more useful at the moment as i don't see much of a dps increase when i switch to 2h and i play as a defensive tank more than an offensive one

how are the guys in the 30's and whove hit 40 finding it?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
I sincerly love the class, even more knowing that's far from finished (they had to rush it cause they changed it to be more TANKISH towards the end of the beta while before it was more MDPS).
The three mastery lines lean towards really different playstyles and hybrid specs are also viable.
Overall i really like the class, needs, as said, some finishing up to give it a more definitive and unique role.

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Love the class so far. Thought that i would use my 2-hander more but after equipping the shield, and if you play with a good healer, I'm surprised at the beating you can take before going down.

Need to experiment more with the 2-hander though.:cheers:

Yma

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 25/22 SM, really loving it, it's a little different than my IB as the magic styles are devoted to debuffing the enemy instead of buffing the friendlies, so his task is more to disrupt and soak damage in the frontline rather than guarding, knockbacking and knocking down that my IB seems to do better. You can switch playstyle rather quickly, as you have good defensive styles (+parry etc) and higher dps ones well mixed in all three balance stances.

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
I really like my SM!

I'm sword and board as well, doesn't seem to be much point in going 2-h atm... Lvl 34 now and it's when you get a chance to start toying with mastery paths the SM starts to come around. Currently a mix of Vaul and Hoeth, with Aethyric Armour and a couple of tanking tictacs from Vaul. My main goal for now is survivability, and i can sure take a beating with a pocket healer... PvE is a breeze as well, i just tend to farm PQ's (i often play weird hours, early morning and late night when there's not much scenario action) pulling 10-15 mobs my own or a level higher and aoeing them down.

A very good thing to increas your own effectiveness is to go apothecary and scavenger to be able to make your own heal pots (ingredients from humanoids) and thorn pots (gives a damage shield, anyone who hits you take damage, ingredients from forest spirits, dryads and such.). Helps a lot when mass pulling.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
My main is a SM and I like him a lot. Wish I had dumped Talismans and gone Scav/Apoth though, the pots are very handy.

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
You people miss the point, the main reason people likes the class is becouse it looks sexyawesome! (at least mine does!) :flame:

(yea, and its more fun to play then my BW ;))

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Struggling - i can take a kicking (but not as well as an IB) but struggle to dish out any real even (tried out Ether dance - it's very "meh").

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Coming new patch having WoH as 2nd in chain and Quick Incision dealing dmg as dd mainly will help dishing out more dmg (also will snare people after GW lands).
My "proposed" spec comes 1.06:
Swordmaster Career Builder - Warhammer Online.
I tried hard to play defensive (pre 1.06), but Sm isn't really suited to that, our role will be even more offensive, either in train with 2h (see spec above) or harassing around with aoe and silence etc with s&s and higher survavibility:
Swordmaster Career Builder - Warhammer Online

Struggling - i can take a kicking (but not as well as an IB) but struggle to dish out any real even (tried out Ether dance - it's very "meh").

Debuffs and HIGH strenght are the key to dish any half decent dmg, else it's harassing the deep lines with s&s imo.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Basically can't spam no more QI as far as i can see cause they raised AP cost.
At a wide guess i'd go
PoH -> QI/DS (depend if Caster Type or Melee) -> DT
PoH -> WoH -> ED
EB -> QI/DS/EF -> ED
That's my idea atm.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Basically can't spam no more QI as far as i can see cause they raised AP cost.
At a wide guess i'd go
PoH -> QI/DS (depend if Caster Type or Melee) -> DT
PoH -> WoH -> ED
EB -> QI/DS/EF -> ED
That's my idea atm.

Actually :eek: tis can't be done, following rotation is possible:

EB -> QI/DS (depend if Caster Type or Melee) -> DT
EB -> WoH -> ED
EB -> QI/DS/EF -> ED

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Check the new changes to the SM on WHA and the patch notes. Looks like i'll be dusting mine off. Still thing the mechanic needs tearing apart and rebuilding but for now i'm quite happy with the changes (especially the changes to:

Natures blade - applies the stat buffs to whole the group now apparently!!! (that's about +130 at full spec or +90 odd unspecced). Stacked with the RP buff this could mean an extra 150-200 in a stat. Possibly to multiple stats too if in a close-quarters fight.

Whispering wind - will mean that gusting wind has a 5 second cooldown (so is almost spammable)

Gryphon's Precision (tactic) - effectively greatsword mastery increasing parry and damage while using a 2h weapon.

Looking forward to trying this out live!

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Just a tip for any SM's playing now - i'm finding that very few destro have much spirit resist so my dps rotation is now pretty reguarly EA-WoH/QI/PW-ED/GW.

Potent enchantments is crazy in the twisting tower - hits nearly everyone in your half of the room (and oddly seems to be unaffected by stairs/walls a lot) - my SM joined 5 minutes into a scenario and still walked out with 140k damage :)

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Actually :eek: tis can't be done, following rotation is possible:

EB -> QI/DS (depend if Caster Type or Melee) -> DT
EB -> WoH -> ED
EB -> QI/DS/EF -> ED

I like EB with EA slotted for tanks/healers too, but i've found GL hits disgustingly hard against r/mdps and squishies (usually 250, 400-600 with a crit which it does a lot).

Do you agree / disagree?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
I like EB with EA slotted for tanks/healers too, but i've found GL hits disgustingly hard against r/mdps and squishies (usually 250, 400-600 with a crit which it does a lot).

Do you agree / disagree?

Yup i do agree :) They got low armor hence GL is a good choice against em.
Since the resist nerf altho i find my self hitting even for 450-500 on heavy armored debuff target with ED :eek:

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Yup i do agree :) They got low armor hence GL is a good choice against em.
Since the resist nerf altho i find my self hitting even for 450-500 on heavy armored debuff target with ED :eek:

Just curious, how much str?

I'm sitting around 650-660 atm with mixing sets and ED is doing similar - sometimes crits up to 700 or so and i've had one lucky crit for 840 or so that stood out.

It will sound weird to say this (and probably is a poor reflection on WHs) but playing my SM feels like playing a WH (in terms of dps) now. IMO the tradeoff in a truckload more survivability for a small-medium amount less damage is so nice i rarely touch my WH anymore.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Just curious, how much str?

I'm sitting around 650-660 atm with mixing sets and ED is doing similar - sometimes crits up to 700 or so and i've had one lucky crit for 840 or so that stood out.

It will sound weird to say this (and probably is a poor reflection on WHs) but playing my SM feels like playing a WH (in terms of dps) now. IMO the tradeoff in a truckload more survivability for a small-medium amount less damage is so nice i rarely touch my WH anymore.

Ah my stre is still shit, sitting around 480. Atm SM is where it's meant to be imo, an heavy armored Dps with less cc than a normal tank, if they ignore us we tear em apart if they focus on us we are somewhat softer than most tanks in game.
Still WHs got finish off moves (Sever Nerve comes to mind) that we don't have tho and the heal debuff bullets (which can't be and i don't want to be on a tank cause it would be oped) helps in killing everything (moreso healers). I'm still curious to see how much of > dps would we bring to a WH with WoH up :p

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Ah my stre is still shit, sitting around 480. Atm SM is where it's meant to be imo, an heavy armored Dps with less cc than a normal tank, if they ignore us we tear em apart if they focus on us we are somewhat softer than most tanks in game.
Still WHs got finish off moves (Sever Nerve comes to mind) that we don't have tho and the heal debuff bullets (which can't be and i don't want to be on a tank cause it would be oped) helps in killing everything (moreso healers). I'm still curious to see how much of > dps would we bring to a WH with WoH up :p

Sever Nerve is a morale ;) That is true we lack a "Bang" finisher. I'm probably going to be playing in a premade with a guildie WH at some point (we have quite a few of them) i'll ask him to combat log and e-mail me it one run with WoH spam vs no WoH spam and get back to you.

On a maths basis it should be worth about 20-30% or so i think if they're below the soft cap, less if above it.

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
Any advice on leveling spec after 1.2?

Was thinking of going the standard Hoeth way, with EB/EA spam, but are there any other viable builds I should be considering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom