How were you introduced to music?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Here's hoping for interesting stories ;)

I was brought home from the hospital a few days after birth, sat in front of a loudspeaker and played The Clash's London's Calling by my Dad.

Did anyone else have an interesting introduction?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Erm, i have no idea how i was introduced to music. But I first started to listen and like that sort of music in year 8, when i forced myself to like the matrix OST. Music taste kind of grew from there

Nibbler

Fledgling Freddie
It was all shite chart pop in my childhood, followed by a big musical void from about 12-14, followed by hanging out with a new group of friends who introduced me to Nirvana. From there my music taste has developed into what it is now.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
When i was little (from the age of about 2+) i used to listen to my parents records all the time, Kate Bush & Michael Jackson & Culture Club are 3 artists i remember listening too a lot. Ever since then music has been one of the most important things in my life really.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I haven't the foggiest. I do know the first album that I ever owned (bought specifically for me) was Blur - Parklife though.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Parklife was my first CD, bought at the same time as Morning Glory ;) I owned a variety of Roxette albums on tape before that though. Sadly :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My Dad used to play me Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and War of the Worlds.

Strangely enough, I like harmonious music now :)

Gombur Glodson

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
My Dad used to play me Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and War of the Worlds.

My dad did the exact same :D
With The Who, doors, deep purple ect ect

Kinda nice having a dad who likes the same music as you :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Shovel said:
Parklife was my first CD, bought at the same time as Morning Glory ;) I owned a variety of Roxette albums on tape before that though. Sadly :(
Ah, I remember discovering what the "bass" button on my hifi was listening to Morning Glory. My Mum told me not to use it. HAHA!

My Dad's a big folky so I was raised on that which is why I quite like a lot of it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I forgot, my first record was 'The Number of the Beast' by Iron Maiden.

A phase :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Probably radio playing from the car stereo. I dunno what my first album was tho :eek:

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I grew up being force fed a lot of soul and stuff which my mum liked so passively listened to Vandross, Sade and silly stuff like Boney M as a youngster. Developed my own musical tastes pretty early when I was about 8 or 9 and got interested in Hip Hop and rap (this would be about 83-85) my first album I owned that was properly mine was Bigger and Deffer by LL Cool J.

Around about 11 or so my brother who is 3 years older than me was listening to Jean-Michel Jarre and went to the Docklands concert so I listened to a lot of that and got a keyboard and began my entrance into musical creation.

Then into dance music about 13 and I was sampling/making loads of good hardcore tracks in the early stages of the rave boom (talking about 89-91).

At college it all went weird and I suddenly developed an interest in guitars. Listened to loads of The Beatles, Doors, Rage against the Machine , Guns n Roses and most of all Pearl Jam. (92-94)

Now it's 2004, I'm 28 and I just like whatever I like the sound of. Grown out of categorising everything and liking stuff just because it's 'what I should be listening to'. I've listened to most things, liked most styles and purchased most of them. I'd like to think I have a fairly open mind when it comes to music appreciation though obviously some may disagree when I don't enjoy the things they recommend :)

The next album I plan to buy is Amy Winehouse - Frank.

And I'm pretty good on guitar. (10 years on)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
My first song that i ever sung along to was "diamonds on the souls of her shoes" by simon garfunkle. My dad played things like queen, dire straits, pink floyd, led zepllin etc etc to me as a child and while i went through a breif pop phase in like year seven that turned into a taste for club music and trance etc. ALl this has lead to me liking most types of music from linkin park to dire straits to rob zombie to breakbeat.

Couple of music types i can t stand tho.... garage and rnb. Really cant stand em, if you can even call them music that is.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Oh, forgot about the mother's taste in music. Raised on a diet of Sade, Earth Wind and Fire, George Micheal, Whitney Housten and all that. Everyone looks at me strange if i start singing along to one of those songs now, I like them but I wont go out of my way to get them.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
My first song that i ever sung along to was "diamonds on the souls of her shoes" by simon garfunkle.

Paul Simon and Art Garfunkle

two Different Artists, and that song is off a Paul Simon Solo album called 'Graceland' i think.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Was exposed to alot of music when I was young. The radio was always on. I think I grew some sort of appreciation for rock/metal pretty late though as I had to dig thru my moms old records to discover them. Black Sabbath and such.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Not much of a story, really.

My parents have almost zero interest in modern music - they only listen to classical. My dad has some Queen, Cream, Charles Mingus and other cool 70s stuff but he never plays it. My love of modern music developed on its own.

I still remember being 10 years old and seeing the Shamen's Ebeneezer Goode on TV when it got to Number 1 in 1992 - first time music really grabbed me. I got their album that year (Boss Drum - probably their best album), the first music I owned. Still have a soft spot for them. Would recommend the Shamen Collection. Anyone who thinks they were a shite one-hit-wonder band should listen to it and realise how much good stuff they did.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I remember being 7 or 8 years old, messing around with my mum's vinyls...

Used to listen to Cliff Richard's "Devil Woman" on and on :). Then we had Pink Floyd, CCR, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Beatles (Honey), Elvis (Greatest Hits), Los Paraguayos (Don't ask), Gloria Gaynor, Whitesnake, Ella Fitzgerald... and lots other I can't remember.

Thank god for my mum's musical taste. I developed a passion for good old rock only later, but Pink Floyd has a special place in my heart.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Whenevr I was a bit bored at home I used explore my parents vinyl records and play those. It was more of the case it was a "gadget" I could mess around with and play around with the Amp and that. They had things like Simon & Garfunkel and The Beatles...

I really only got interested in music when I got to University...listened to their own Radio station as well as regular radio stations....and then started buying Tapes and CD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom