How the fuck can we be running out of grit/salt?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Seriously, loads of places in the UK have stopped having the roads gritted because councils are running low and Fife council even ran out. Madness! The UK has massive salt mines, 1000's of miles of coastline with sand, how the hell do we run out and why the fuck are we importing the stuff???

This is going to hurt the economy badly if they can't keep the minor roads open, no fucker will be able to get to work later in the week.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
The salt in the salt mines is table salt, and the sand on the beaches is the wrong sort of course!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
You can use anything that dissolves in water that lowers the freezing point.
Britain only has a small number of salt mines and they're blasting at full speed to meet demand.
I've already put my work on notice that I will cancel on attending a call if I feel the road isn't safe. I had to come back from Barmouth over the Crimea Pass on Wed 30 Dec and that was an "experience". The snow had completely covered the salted road and it was seat of the pants driving all the way downhill. Second gear engine braking was my friend.

soze

I am a FH squatter
We prolly have enough Salt in the UK but don't have the infrastructure to churn it out fast enough. And dont for get if a council went and took sand from a beach some enviromentalist would sue them for ruining the habitat of the lesser condomed beach beetle.

One of my uncles is Canadian by birth and he thinks this country is hilarious when it snows.

- English -

Resident Freddy
We prolly have enough Salt in the UK but don't have the infrastructure to churn it out fast enough. And dont for get if a council went and took sand from a beach some enviromentalist would sue them for ruining the habitat of the lesser condomed beach beetle.

One of my uncles is Canadian by birth and he thinks this country is hilarious when it snows.

Im English from birth and i think its hilarous when it snows ;}

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh the nl is a great joke too. it's just being winter, and the whole country is spazzing out. still, I am less than pleased with the state of the gritting. on the other hand, I have done fuck all to prepare my car for icy conditions, no "winter" tyres or anything. sometimes trips take longer, but it's never been impossible nor have I had any difficulty getting out of my parking spot.

two things grab my nads though: fucktards in big cars overtaking at speed when I'm doing 20kph on a motorway because I am in a *blizzard*, and the trains giving up the ghost because of three snowflakes on the rails :/

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Im Swedish and I think its hilarious when it snows in UK :)

What it comes down to is that most people would not be willing to pay the levi to keep infrastructure in place 'in case it snows' like they do in Sweden and Canada ;)

I certainly would rather put up with a few days of annoyance than pay for a permanently stationed snowplough when it is only going to be used a handful of times a year

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We'll have to have a "Scandinavian Salt Aid" concert so we can help our poor underprivileged UK peeps :D

Im Swedish and I think its hilarious when it snows in UK :)

Like raining in california, national emergency!

*looks out the window*

Yup, all white. Global warming my big hairy arse!

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Say these words after me with a question inflection...
"Global Warming?" :)

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Don't forget the really small operating window the grit that the UK uses ;).

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
My close is a good acess point to a local supermarket - and alot of people use it - this annoyed me when i started to grit my driveway - due to grandparents coming round who are liable to slip over - and started to grit the path so they could walk up, safely, - this also benefited the older people living on the street, but when a passer by told me to be careful because what i was doing could make me end up in courty - due to people slipping on the grit, bullshit?

Its absolutely stupid - we have a large grit box, that we're not allowed to use!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
My close is a good acess point to a local supermarket - and alot of people use it - this annoyed me when i started to grit my driveway - due to grandparents coming round who are liable to slip over - and started to grit the path so they could walk up, safely, - this also benefited the older people living on the street, but when a passer by told me to be careful because what i was doing could make me end up in courty - due to people slipping on the grit, bullshit?

Its absolutely stupid - we have a large grit box, that we're not allowed to use!

It's because morons do stupid things/take advantage so they blanket ban it all
To be very honest though why don't you just call up the council and ask? instead of assuming :p

Jeros

Part of the furniture
old.Tohtori said:
up, all white. Global warming my big hairy arse!

Zenith.UK said:
Say these words after me with a question inflection...
"Global Warming?" :)

Yes, if you would have read up you would have known that the uk will get cooler....for a bit

global_warming_temperature_trends_projections.jpg

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Zzzzz.

Let's not ruin this thread with your global warming bullshit arguments.

Gwadien

It's because morons do stupid things/take advantage so they blanket ban it all
To be very honest though why don't you just call up the council and ask? instead of assuming :p

1. I'm not lazy
2. grandparents were coming soon so had to do it asap.
3. Would of taken them 3 weeks to get it done.
4. Grit box is really close.
5. Whats the fucking difference between me doing it and the council doing it? I'd rather try to get greased up monkeys with no limbs with mental illnesses to attempt to do it.

:)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Russians get 2 metres of snow and just get on with things
We get 10cm and the entire country goes into meltdown.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
We had similar bad weather last February, so there's no excuse not to be prepared

Never ceases to astonish me how STUPID people drive in bad weather. They think I'm in my 4x4 jeep so I can still drive at 60mph and tailgate the guy in front. Idiots

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I've mostly been okay in the snow but was a little bit overconfident on Sunday just gone, and took a corner a little bit too fast. The acting of breaking sent me sliding into the kerb pretty hard. Taking the car to the garage tomorrow to check how many hundreds of pounds of parts I've knackered.

A salutary lesson to me to slow the fuck down. And to avoid roads lived on by peasants with no cars, as no matter how many gritting containers they have they just don't need to use them.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We had similar bad weather last February, so there's no excuse not to be prepared

Never ceases to astonish me how STUPID people drive in bad weather. They think I'm in my 4x4 jeep so I can still drive at 60mph and tailgate the guy in front. Idiots

What i can't understand is people driving really carefully(read slow) in snow, IN a 4x4 jeep. It's made for that weather, and when it hits, they don't use it.

Usually in Finland, the speed limit is at 80kph, not including motorways(where it's closer to a 100-120), when there's a snowstorm.

Gwadien

What i can't understand is people driving really carefully(read slow) in snow, IN a 4x4 jeep. It's made for that weather, and when it hits, they don't use it.

Usually in Finland, the speed limit is at 80kph, not including motorways(where it's closer to a 100-120), when there's a snowstorm.

Can you also fly in Finland? ^o)

soze

I am a FH squatter
To drive properly in the snow you need different tyres just having a 4 by 4 does not mean you can drive quick in snow. Means you can get out of trouble in snow but i dont 4wd = snow speed.

I had a bad one where a guy in his 4 by 4 drove though the outside lane which was totally covered in snow. This meant he covered everyone in the slow lane in snow causing the person in front of me to panic and break which sent them sliding so i had to try and slow down but as soon as i left the tyre tracks i slid into the kerb. About 4 people behind me had the same all so one guy could do 10 mph more than everyone else.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I had to abandon my car halfway up the hill home this afternoon. Not because the snow was bad, but because it had been compacted into ice on the road. The local Council don't think the road needs gritting, even though it's on the Council's map as a priority route. We'll see if it's done by the morning if it's passable.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Wow. I love the whole sea view you have there

Also, you fucking britons can't drive for shit! Fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom