How much would you pay?

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
The next generation consoles are coming closer to hitting the shelves and the talk of chargeable downloadable content has arisen.

Already you can expect to pay for some content, take for example the two Halo maps for £2.99 via Xbox live. For Microsoft this can easily generate millions of pounds of extra revenue. The question is how far can this go? Can charges for basic game updates be incorporated? How much would you be willing to pay for minor updates and additional content?

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Console games already cost more than PC games and I never play them as long as my PC games. PC games get free content from developers sometimes but most of it is from the mod community, we shouldnt have to pay for more content on consoles. :(

I wouldnt / havent paid for extra content so far and never will unless its like an addon pack rather than a couple of maps / skins.

That article was saying Halo 2 sold 6 million so if 1 in 10 bought the maps its 2 million quid but of those 6 million that have Halo 2, how many have xbox live? I thought Live only had about 1 million subscribers?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
dunno wots the point of charging for extra content, most games on xbox live only last for a month or 2 after release, burn out 3 pgr2 and ninja gaiden are not as popular as they once were. tbh if ps3 and x360 both do endup having bigger mp communities then it would be better to have say a monthly flat rate fee than
getting charged around £3 per addon pack.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yaka said:
tbh if ps3 and x360 both do endup having bigger mp communities then it would be better to have say a monthly flat rate fee than
getting charged around £3 per addon pack.

What makes you think they won't do both?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I dont want a console.

Lester doesnt have Betamax. Oh no. He has VHS.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's a logical move, certainly with regards to addon features such as extra maps.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Xbox charge you £40 ish a year to have xbox live (the thing to play online) and then each content costs you £3 ish each!

So they already charge you twice :(

Its unfair as if in Project Gotham Racing 2 you join certain games, people who paid for more cars have way faster cars and so win the races...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I believe that the plan for most 'micro-transactions' is to have single or limited use add-ons which only cost a few pence and then permanent add-ons costing a little more (like streaming a music track for 1p or buying it for 69p). The single-use transaction examples I've heard of are, for example, driving a completely 'tricked out' car (goodness, I can't believe I just wrote that ;)) for one race in Need for Speed when you've only just started playing the game; or bigger add-ons like maps, as suggested above.

I think if they get the pricing right it could be popular, particularly with the younger end. This is further supported by Microsoft pushing for some form of Xbox Live support on Windows PCs, Xbox 360 controller support in Longhorn (and possibly XP) and Longhorn's ability to play games direct from the disk without installing anything (not guaranteed as yet, but there's already a special version of Need for Speed Underground 2 capable of doing this). Time will tell, I guess :)

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom