How much per month would you pay for an MMORPG?

What's your limit?

• Total voters

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Over the coming year I reckon the new MMORPGs are going to be upping the monthly cost of the game.

I remember paying £6 per month for UO, then about £10-12 for the other games I played (UO,AC,AC2,AO etc etc) and being quite happy to pay it, and being happy to pay DAOC's £8. I reckon my limit is £15 per month and I wouldn't be too happy about that really, but if the game was brilliant then I'd be sanguine about it.

The impression I get though is that over the next six months as we see a few more big ones released, £20 (or more :O) per month will become the new "standard". Personally, the game would have to be amazing for me to pay that as well as the "box" fee, just on principle.

What do you think? Is there a limit?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Anything over £10 imo is taking the piss, don't care how good the game is.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Anything over £10 imo is taking the piss, don't care how good the game is.

I agree, that´s the limit.

On the other hand: the more it costs, the less 1337 kiddies you´ll have to deal with.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
From what I can gather the prices are going up though.

Wonder how much ?Warhammer's gonna be? Will be more than £10 for sure considering DAoC's £8 and its ... what... five years old now?

Will we passively protest and just not buy the games?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Well I'm sure Warhammer will do a first month free trial with the boxed set, so if the game's shite, you won't have paid any monthly subs, and you can take the game back and blag a refund / exchange

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
bear in mind most of us pay £16 already with 2 accounts

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
OK you got 2 accounts costing you £16 a month. Now its gonna cost you £30 a month for main + bb on WAR. Think about it. You're spending the price of the game itself each month. Hey its not for me to tell ppl how to spend their money, but £30 a month is lunacy for a game imo.

Kerig

Fledgling Freddie
id pay up to about £40 a month if the mmorpg was good enough, but it would be nice if expansions were free to subscribers, and repackaged as the full game for newcomers.

im guessing most folks spend £100 or so a month on console games, other pc games etc, so monthly subs are still cheap as hell for the time you spend playing.

and as Thorwyn said, up the price and you get a more mature playerbase, which is especially good in mmorpgs.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
they may change war tho so no BBs, doubt it tho cause they are effectivly doubling their revenue with the whole BB thing

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
imo 30€ for game costs / month is the highest limit for me. With this money I can play DAoC with one account and have Eve Online open too. But if it goes over 30€, something has to be sacked.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
That's why I'd pay about £15 because I used to have three DAoC accounts so I was spending £24 anyway. But if they charged £25 based on that kind of info I'd be resentful and prob refuse to play it on principle.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
To be honest I dont know... I dont play much other than online games - for a long time DAOC was the only game I played as well so I would never buy other games so even £30 a month for a couple of online accounts wouldnt be bad but I think if it was £30 for a single online account then I wouldnt bother unless it was truly something special and not DAOC 2 etc.. I have paid for multiple online accounts in the same month quite often because I see it as just the equivalent of buying a new game every month..From what I have seen of WAR (which is what I have decided to have a look at next when it comes out) Probably prepared to spend £20-£30 a month - on 2 accounts or no more than £15 single account - maybe less as though it looks good it doesnt look anything I havent seen in some respect before.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Well I'm sure Warhammer will do a first month free trial with the boxed set, so if the game's shite, you won't have paid any monthly subs, and you can take the game back and blag a refund / exchange

this may sound stupid... but you only pay for the serial... as the data means nothing on its own... and once the serial is used its usless... would be irisponceible to get a refund imo

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
if daoc is £8 you need to pay £16 tbh to be able to play it

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:

good luck getting a refund on a mmorpg game which creates an account from a serial...

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Would pay up to 15, depending on how good the game is. Unless it was something realllly good then I might consider playing more.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
All depends on the game really, if the gameplay is really good I guess €50 would be my limit but it also depends on how much I can play it for instance GW costed me €49.95 but I played it 1200 hours in the two months I had it before quitting so that's €50 well spend but if it costed me €50 and I would only play it once or twice in a month then no way.

Also I don't think they will up the subs that much maybe £10-12 tops as else it will cut down the market as alot of people cba to buy it then, also I disagree with if they up the cost it will decrease the amount of "leet kiddies" as they are the ones playing 24/7 and thus they will get much more "bang for their buck" as a casual gamer that plays 3-4 hours a week so it will drop more casual gamers than "leet kiddies" imo.

I do really hope they got no Buffbots in WHO, I'd pay more (maybe even double) just to have no buffbots.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
OK you got 2 accounts costing you £16 a month. Now its gonna cost you £30 a month for main + bb on WAR. Think about it. You're spending the price of the game itself each month. Hey its not for me to tell ppl how to spend their money, but £30 a month is lunacy for a game imo.

BB's wont be needed in WAR well thats what an ingame designer said on a US forum somewhere just hope its true.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Fefner said:
BB's wont be needed in WAR well thats what an ingame designer said on a US forum somewhere just hope its true.

They may not be needed, but there's nothing to stop someone buying two accounts, and using one as a farmer / buffer whatever.

Wonder why BB's won't be needed ? You're always gonna need some form of a healer / buffer surely. What could be better than your own personal slave ? Otherwise what kind of RPG is it ?

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Well what ive read and how i see it is there are no really good buffs to make you godlike and healers dont really exist is WAR, caster classes do have some healing spells like a pbaoe heal over time thing but no spam healing spells and since tanks are tanks and take alot of damage you dont need heals as much as you do in daoc.
If i can be bothered in finding the link id show you what caster classes can do but really they are there for nuke spells and the only form of CC which is a single root.

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
I like the way Guild Wars work, more comapnies should use the same system

Nate

FH is my second home
other then WAR what big mmorpg's are coming out that are going to up the prices?

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
Considering how much I spend on "a night out" which lasts what... a night... monthly MMO prices are not that bad. I get to play them every day for a month at much less cost than a night out.

In terms of cost per hour of entertainment, the MMO is much cheaper.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Kerig said:
im guessing most folks spend £100 or so a month on console games, other pc games etc, so monthly subs are still cheap as hell for the time you spend playing.

the difference between spending a 100 on physical items and online time is totally different.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
No more than £10.

Look at the Blizzard senario, they have over 6 million subscribers paying what £10 a month? Thats £720 million a year in worldwide subscriptions if my maths is correct, Blizzard are making money hand over fist at £10 a month with an above average MMO. If they can make it work at that price then all the others can.

Kerig

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
the difference between spending a 100 on physical items and online time is totally different.

I dont see the difference myself, your paying for the hours you will spend playing the game. Ive bought console games for £50 and only played them for 20 hours or so total, which isnt great value for money. (Although i guess you could ebay them afterwards to get some back?).

Anyways, the subs for warhammer will be £10-12 tops, the current market shows that this makes a good business model, and they are after the mass market after all.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Thorwyn[B&Q] said:
I agree, that´s the limit.

On the other hand: the more it costs, the less 1337 kiddies you´ll have to deal with.

Not true! Do you think they pay their own subs?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Some adult players are actually more annoying, rude, and stupid than some of the kids. We've got a 14 year old in our guild and he's a great player. Very polite.

The point I'm making is that doesn't matter what the subs are, you are always going to get assholes playing the game. Always.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Whilst voting < 10 GBP i got thinking of the actual value of it. Basically now 10 GBP will just about get you into a cinema with a coke and popcorn if you lucky. 2 hours entertaiment only. Movie rentals 4 - 5 GBP a go.

So at 10 GBP or less its actually good value as far as entertainment goes. Would probably pay more though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom