How much are people paying for 4G?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just about to get a Nexus 7 and I've been looking at 4G SIM deals. What a load of fucking rubbish. The price is what it is, but they all have pitiful data caps (e.g. €30 for 1GB data), so what the hell is the point? What price and data caps are people on in the UK? I'm hoping they're stupid here because 4G has only been available in Ireland for a couple of months and maybe things will get more sensible.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I saw those sort of prices/caps and didn't bother. I don't know what the point of capped 4G is, are they aiming it at people who want to get their facebook newsfeed really fast or something?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I thought the whole thing about 4g was that you can download/watch movies on the go and have better/ faster access to media than 3G. 1gb is not going to get you very far is it?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So its not just me that thinks 4G pricing is fucked up then? Oh good.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
here in the NL it is also round about 30€ for 1GB, approx 42€ for 3GB and about 60€ for 6GB cap. not only do I smell pricing/capping agreements but I also find capping to be about as valid these days as burning witches.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I work for a telecoms newspaper and the general consensus is the same as you guys - complete waste of money right now until the prices drop drastically/caps are removed. Don't expect the latter to happen any time soon, but now that Telefonica and Vodafone both have 4G expect the price wars to begin. One thing I can say is, in London at least, the speeds are impressive. We have a few freebie 4G SIMs for O2 and we actually use 4G to upload the pages of the magazines we publish to the printers as it's quicker than our BT business broadband. :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well I'm on three's on plan, paying a 16 quid a month discounted rate for unlimited data and lots of minutes. They've promised a free transition to 4g with the same options

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmmm I can get a vodaphone sim with a 2GB cap for 33€ if I keep my current HTC one X. sounds like a no brainer to me, except Voda's 4g coverage in the NL is SHIT

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Had a quick look in France, €31 for 2gb 4G and another €10 for an extra 2gb. Not great tbh. To be honest, the reception is so bad down here I wouldn't go for it even if it was cheaper.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Don't see the point tbh, it's massively overly priced for what shit you get.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Extra £2.50 a month to activate it on Tesco mobile

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Just about £12 a month, 3hours of talk, 3GBs of 4G net and free texts.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Really is silly when 4g is all about streaming and data even 3gb you could cream through in short order. They are really hobbling the reason to go 4g with such small data ranges. If your using less than that in a month you might as well have 3G.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dunno about 4G but my contract is up at the end of next month.

What should I be looking at for SIM only? Don't need a new phone. Want unlimited minutes + texts. Not too fussed about data - I don't use it that much. Maybe 1Gb a month absolutely tops (but normally less than 100meg).

Currently I have phone insurance, which is the only thing I'm loathe to lose as I do tend to trash a phone every 18 months and like the fact a new one turns up 12 hours later :|

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you want unlimited you might as well go 3 tbh. As long as there is a signal in your area, you'll be fine.

I moved to Tesco mobile earlier this year because it allows me and the missus to have a single bill. It's a flat £2.50 a month to turn on 4G which then uses your normal allowance and frankly I'm not sure I can see the point in bothering. I've never felt 3G has been bad enough to justify turning it on.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tell you what - had my second duff phone delivered. The fucking volume button is broken.

Rang orange to arrange another replacement and they're saying they need to speak to the courier as it was delivered damaged?

IT CAME IN A BOX?

I get the feeling I'm gonna get fucked over here :|

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ha. Just rang 'em back. Thought I'd get a different call centre monkey and see what happened.

New phone turning up today after 6pm :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
So its not just me that thinks 4G pricing is fucked up then? Oh good.

Nope...I like many above viewed it as utterly pointless when it first arrived due to the caps, it ultimately just gives you the ability to reach your cap faster :p If it costs you nothing extra over 3G then sure but it certainly isn't worth paying extra for.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you want unlimited you might as well go 3 tbh. As long as there is a signal in your area, you'll be fine.

I moved to Tesco mobile earlier this year because it allows me and the missus to have a single bill. It's a flat £2.50 a month to turn on 4G which then uses your normal allowance and frankly I'm not sure I can see the point in bothering. I've never felt 3G has been bad enough to justify turning it on.
Update: Fuck all from today

http://www.tescomobile.com/about-us/news/tesco-mobile-launches-free-4g

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
3 is still better in my opinion. I am on it now and pay £12.90 a month for a sim only deal that gets 200 mins, 5000 texts and unlimited internet including 4G. In a few months to use 4G I will get a Samsung Galaxy S5 or a Nexus 5 depending on the size of the S5, any bigger than the S4 is overkill.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Meh, I left 3 to move to Tesco, O2 network with better pricing.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The o2 network is why three is better. I went the other way, data is far better on three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom