Books How many books do you read a year?

How Many books do you read a year?

• Total voters

Helme

Resident Freddy
How on Earth can someone read a book on a phone (not logisitically)?
Eh, depends on the phone. The SGS2 for example has a huge screen, tilted on it's side its about the same size as a pocketbook. Still, your eyes are probably better off investing in a Kindle.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
That makes me really sad. I'm glad you enjoy them though.

Why does it make you sad?

Read them more because of nothing else to read, and once I start reading a book, I can't really stop!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Eh, depends on the phone. The SGS2 for example has a huge screen, tilted on it's side its about the same size as a pocketbook. Still, your eyes are probably better off investing in a Kindle.

Oh, it's perfectly doable but must be a bastard on the eyes. I've got a Sensation, which has a similar screensize to the S2 and the thought of reading a book on it makes my retinas bleed.

Why does it make you sad?

Read them more because of nothing else to read, and once I start reading a book, I can't really stop!

Nothing else to read? In the world? Really? That's why it makes me sad, there's so much great literature out there you're missing out on because of habit. It'd be like only watching the same 5 films every year over and over.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not the fastest reader myself for some reason. I only get through about 3 pages whilst having my bedtime fag. When I'm busy that's all I read. If I've got a train journey or some time to myself with no games on the go then I read more but since the kids came along that's pretty rare :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wazzerphuk said:
Oh, it's perfectly doable but must be a bastard on the eyes. I've got a Sensation, which has a similar screensize to the S2 and the thought of reading a book on it makes my retinas bleed.

I read books on a 7" Galaxy Tab and its just about right. I installed the Kindle app on my iphone out of curiosity and frankly there's no way I could regularly read books on that.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Nothing else to read? In the world? Really? That's why it makes me sad, there's so much great literature out there you're missing out on because of habit. It'd be like only watching the same 5 films every year over and over.

Unless you failed to read the rest of my post due to selective eyesight or whatever, I did ask for suggestions.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Some fantasy suggestions for you then;

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy, and Way of Kings
More in the 'standard' vein of fantasy, very well written and well paced. Interesting worlds, and very unique magic systems.

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law trilogy, and his two stand-alone books Best Served Cold & The Heroes
Dark, brutal and funny. Some of the best written characters in fantasy along with action scenes that makes it almost impossible to put the books down.

Glen Cook - The Black Company series, and the Garret P.I. books.
Dark, well written and well worth your time.

Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora, and the follow up book.
An interesting setting, a different focus from most other fantasy and fairly well written. Don't expect the third part any time soon though.

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files, and Codex Alera.
Fast paced, decently written books with interesting settings. They do feel like popcorn flicks at times, but they're fun and there's a bunch of them.

Patrick Rothfuss - Name of the Wind, The Wise Man's Fear
Very well written, and worth reading for the prose alone. Sadly the story doesn't hold up very well but what can you do.

There's a few other honourable mentions, like Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine, China Mieville's monster/social commentary books(there's a bunch). Guy Gavriel Kay's alt-history/fantasy books are also good. Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy is quite entertaining if you're looking for something more Young Adult-ish.

I'm going to assume you've read the books by George RR Martin, Robert Jordan, Philip Pullman etc. else those should be your first stop. The Wheel of Time isn't for everybody but for someone as dedicated to Tolkien as you are I'd imagine it would fit right up your alley. You might also like Steven Eriksons Malazan, I know there's a bunch of fans on this forum but I personally couldn't stand it. It's a very polarising series, you either like it or you hate it.

As a final note, avoid anything written by Terry Goodkind. He's fucking terrible.

edit: Oh yeah, you would probably like David Eddings as well - The Belgariad series primarily.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Unless you failed to read the rest of my post due to selective eyesight or whatever, I did ask for suggestions.

I couldn't really give you any as I don't read fantasy stuff.

If you're looking to expand a little into something else, what takes your fancy?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'd add:

Neil Gaiman; particularly American Gods

Charles Stross' Laundry Series

Anything by Tim Powers

Mary Gentle: Ash A Secret History is superb

Michael Moorcock - a vast collection of work

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Desire is 4.3 inch and I use coolreader, same page flip animations.
Just got myself a 2quid set of 1.5+ specs from Asda and it looks great, no eyestrain at all.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I couldn't really give you any as I don't read fantasy stuff.

If you're looking to expand a little into something else, what takes your fancy?

IDK really, guess I like fantasy a bit too much. A set of non-fantasy books I really liked were the 'Driving over lemons' books, about an ex-genesis drummer that relocated to spain.

I guess I read books because I know I like them, it can be compared to watching your favourite film a lot I guess, don't see a problem with that really.

I read my daughter the Hungry Caterpillar quite a lot...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I don't read books and I find it hilariously insulting (and quite frankly embarrassing for the other person) when someone claims that I'm not clever or well educated as a result.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
IDK really, guess I like fantasy a bit too much. A set of non-fantasy books I really liked were the 'Driving over lemons' books, about an ex-genesis drummer that relocated to spain.

I guess I read books because I know I like them, it can be compared to watching your favourite film a lot I guess, don't see a problem with that really.

I read my daughter the Hungry Caterpillar quite a lot...

Jack Vance - Dying Earth stories and the Lyonesse Trilogy. you wont find better written fantasy stories anywhere

I second Neil Gaiman, American Gods is a good read.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, I always try and recommend this to people as I think its a great read and a well constructed story.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I do a number of series of books at a go every other year or so:
David Zindell's "Neverness" trilogy (3)
Kevin J Anderson's "Saga of the Seven Suns" (7)
David Eddings "Belgariad" (5) and "Malloreon" (5)
Julian May's "Galactic Milieu" (3) and "Saga of the Exiles" (4) as well as "Intervention" to set the stage for them.
E.E "Doc" Smith's "Lensman" series (6)
Arthur C.Clarke's "Odyssey" (4) and "Rama" (4) series.
A variety of Terry Pratchett books, new and old.

They're just the ones I keep coming back to.

I don't claim to be an epicure of literature. I realise there are lots of books and genres that many people find engrossing. I personally find a lot of biographies, novels, crime dramas and horror books difficult to get interested in. They just don't engage me.
I know I like scifi and fantasy and make no apologies for it. The genre is so wide that there'll always be new authors and stories coming along.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
There's a difference between genre reading and reading the same thing over and over though ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i do occasionally read books ive already read before, otherwise what would be the point of keeping them on my bookshelf? o_O

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I read at least a book every week. I have AS and reading helps me cope. I can't sleep if I don't read. The kindle was a godsend for me. I hate getting rid of books, so simply from a space point of view it is worth having.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So far this year I've read all 13 Wheel of Time books, all the Song of Ice and Fire series, 2 Peter F. Hamilton trilogies, most of my Ian Irvine books, the God Delusion, some Robin Hobb and Charlie Stross and a load of other crap, probably 50+ books in total. I've read probably 90%+ of them on my Android Phone using the Kindle app. It's easy to read, portable and I can read it in bed without the light on!

You're eyes must be begging for you to put them out of their misery... :)

My eyes starts to bleed just by trying to read a full sms message fgs. :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Jack Vance - Dying Earth stories and the Lyonesse Trilogy. you wont find better written fantasy stories anywhere

I second Neil Gaiman, American Gods is a good read.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, I always try and recommend this to people as I think its a great read and a well constructed story.

Thanks mate, I'll give them a go.

Tried some Neil Gaiman, but didn't tickle my fancies.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
The kindle app on phones has it's place...

...and that place is on the shitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom