how long for new ADSL connection to settle?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've gone from ADSL Max "up to 8 Mbits" to an unbundled service from O2 which is ADSL2+ , and I should be getting "up to 16 Mbits" per second.

I'm not expecting anywhere near that, but where I was getting a connection at 4.5 Mbits per second with Pipex on the Max service, it's dropped to 3.5 Mbits on this ADSL2+ service from O2.

What the fuck? Someone tell me it'll jump over the next few days....

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If your line can't sustain 16mbits and you're set to get 16mbits, then you may find that the speed is significantly slower than what you get. You may find that all you need to do is get them to cap you at something slightly lower, like 12 or 10 and your line may become stable at that speed. Don't wait for it to settle though, I don't think there's any reason it'll get better by itself.

Just give them a buzz and explain the situation - try and get to tier 2 support if possible. They should be able to configure your line to get the best out of it.

p.s. omgz wrong forum!!!11

mank!

Part of the furniture
p.p.p.s. nildram have been steadily reducing the speed of my connection since july

Draylor

Part of the furniture
can there be a custom warning for spreading blatant lies? :twak:
He got a (sane/decent/correct) reply in 30mins in general: wouldve been more like 12 hours here - if he was lucky.

Lies my :kissit:

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Normally takes 2 weeks or so. ADSL2+ is rate adaptive like the normal ADSL rolled out by BT so it should settle down eventually, but you should be a much faster speed than you got previously, unless they are supplying a crappy router (like the BeBox Be supplied me, although that's mainly crippled by the firmware they supplied).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
He got a (sane/decent/correct) reply in 30mins in general: wouldve been more like 12 hours here - if he was lucky.

Lies my :kissit:

Nath also reads this forum. Now shush lest I send you to the nuns to be admonished and chastised :)

old.user4556

it appears that plugging the router into any other phone socket apart from the master socket kills the speed.

I connect at 8.2 Mbits through the master BT socket, but anything on the extension kill it to 5 or so Mbits.

Basically, the phone socket wiring in my flat is shite.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, ADSL in anything but that master socket is always a problem. You not connecting wirelessly to the router?

old.user4556

No, for some reason the wireless is killing the download speed to the wireless PC - on the wired PC it's a steady 850 kbytes per sec, on the wireless PC it's about 350 kbytes - no idea why, any ideas?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
What's type of wireless are you using, what's the signal strength like?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Try changing the wireless channel, that sometimes helps (default is 11 on most routers). Plus, if you're on wireless does the speed increase substantially when you're right next to the router?

old.user4556

It's 801.11g on the router and card; and not really nath.

I've run a CAT5 cable through the loft and into my "media server cupboard" - the wireless can stay for the PS3 and my wireless laptop, as they don't need big bandwidth.

However, I shall try the channel tweak and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom