How far can wireless go?

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Hiya, just wondering how far a wireless connection can go? I want to set one up with a friend who lives about 800 metres away, is it at all possible? And if so, at at price. :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mobius

I doubt you'd be able to get a connection 800 metres away, at least not without some kind of special equipment. The average distance for most people stretches to about their garden, and even then depends on walls, floors, and the materials those are made of. I've heard of people getting up to 1km in desert-like environments (no obstructions or interference) but even that required special antennas.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. This is just off the top of my head, may be it can be done with the right equipment, I don't know. Perhaps try Googling it :)

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
To reach that far you'd need to go into Cisco gear, or something equivalent.
If you're rich enough that you can afford that, you might as well dig fiber right away. :)

You could place repeaters in strategic places tho, if the enviroment allows it...

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Back in the day before BT dropped their line length stupidness, I looked into this and found a company called solwise to be very helpfull indeed.

Have a look and see what you think.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Make 2.4GHz parabolic mesh dishes from cheap but sturdy Chinese cookware scoops & a USB WiFi adaptor !
The largest (300mm diam)shows 15-18dB gain (enough for a LOS range extension to 3-5km), costs ~US$5 &

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. :) Sounds tricky, but it'd be cool if it worked. ;)

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Hey ]SK[ We're going to give it a try, but we can't actually find where to buy that equipment. :) Where did you get yours from mate? And how much does it cost?

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
What are you wanting to push accross it? I just I found you cant really use two client devices in Adhoc mode. You can but youll find some troubles.

You need one airBridge Total (Client) and a airPoint Pro Total (Access Point). Both have antennas inbuilt.

I paid £130 for an airBridge Total last week. From http://www.802global.com/
Ive got a feeling the AP's are around £250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom