How EQ New Dawn fell to Darkness...

R

rynnor

For those who haven't heard the story Everquest was recently released in a European format with 3 new servers - the concept was to have new servers with everyone starting from scratch and building a community.

As someone who played EQ a few years before this sounded a great idea to me so I bought it - at the time the official boards were adamant that there would be no general influx of other characters to these new servers.

Today the official board has this little item...

'To celebrate the recent launch of our three new European based servers—Venril Sathir for England, Sebilis for France, and Kael Drakkal for Germany—and to build stronger communities for these servers, Sony Online Entertainment and Ubi Soft have joined forces to offer free character transfers, with all items intact!

For a limited time only, we will make free character transfers with items and coin for the first 1000 players who request moves to each of the Kael Drakkal, Venril Sathir and Sebilis servers. More details available today… '

Mmm - a thousand plus level 60 characters added to our little servers should really spice things up - better forget about the fledgeling community and doing tradeskills tho :(

I guess the financial realities of an empty server caused this however better advertising could have avoided this?

Oh well - back to Daoc...

M

mirieth

Would you expect any better from a company like Sony?

"Money, money money!"

:wall:

S

SFXman

Oh my fucking god, excuse my french, but what the hell is the sense in that?! Builkd a new community then allow people to transfer their characters to the new servers? :puke:

D

Draylor

I looked at the beta for this for all of 5 minutes.

No users on the servers, little interest on the forums - seemed inevitable this would happen.

R

Ragnarok1978

Well,

I decided to try out a mates EQ account for a few days to try the european servers and all.

The main concerns that popped in my mind was, that EQ offers nothing that any other game does not offer better now-a-days. I am prety certain that the low population is a result of people not wanting to go buy expensive games and expansions to play a very outdated game, unless ofcourse you are somehow attached to it, like having played it before.

Sony should have launched in europe with EQ2, and not tried to squeeze more money out of an outdated game, and I am glad to see they failed.

Euro markets have a huge potential for future MMORPG releases, DAoC alone have made this very clear. Despite a sometimes horrible service, people still stick around, I see more europeans joining the EU servers from US, than I see the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread