how do you rate your computer's output noise; fans and disks and things

pootah noise, how'd you rate yours?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
as title/poll. myself, the nosiest thing in my computer is the fan on my mobo. I have a [urDFI lanparty SLI DR model, and it's bridge fan is a nifty thing that works through maglev. pretty neat, and it doesn't vibrate, but it whines somewhat (a sort of high pitched "whoooooooosh" sound). just the air flowing though it I guess, but it irritated me when I had the fan's controller on auto, which caused the fan to speed up or slow depending on the bridge's temperature, causing the "whooo" sound to modulate in frequency getting on my tits.
nowadays I have the thing on constant RPM, which is considereably less mindbogglingly irritating, but I can still hear it.

Given that the mobo is/was an overclocker's wet dream and is built for performance, the sound of the fan justifiably came somewhat lower on the list of priorities, but it's still a niggle. the rest of the stuff; cpu cooler, disks, casefans, PSU, I hear them not :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I used to have a shuttle. It lived up to it's name and sounded like a take off at houston when turned on. It was slightly quieter during normal running, but made huge noise when under any kind of load.

I now have a antec case, I honestly thought it was competely silent after the shuttle, the only mistake I made was getting a raptor HD which I can hear spinning. It is still quieter than my 360 and virgin v+ box though.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Noisest thing in mine is the 400gb oldish sata hitachi HDD.
I wasn't really shopping for noise either when I bought the case and what not, but it has suprised me somewhat. It's a cheap but cheerful Thermaltake Soprano case with twin 120mm fans intake and exhaust.

thermaltake%20Soprano%20Black.jpg

The fans have "soft" blades which I think helps cut out some of the noise.
CPU is cooled currently by an old Thermaltake Silent Tower with a 90mm slow fan attached and that's also cool *most* of the time. In summer in this pokey flat room when playing intensive games the automatic fan control wotsit ramps things up to an "audible" level. Everything else on board is passively cooled.

I do however remember the days when noise wasn't an issue and I used to have to cool everything whatever the cost - which I remember being a cheapo noname case with about 10 x 80mm fans in place instead of the side of the case ;) That eventually got replaced by a solid steel 120mm fan unit I pulled from a water sheet metal cutting device which ran from 240v mains.
I was in my own flat at the time and I could hear that from the other end of the building :/

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Got a Zalman Reserator on Main rig. Very very quiet, get worried sometimes the pumps not running. Keep bringing up the overclocking tool to check the CPU temp. Never more than 34 degrees. Just ordered two new graphics chip blocks for two 8800 GTS's I have. Gonna rock :)

::: Zalman :::

reserator01.jpg

Clown

Part of the furniture
My laptop is silent unless it's reading a CD.
My PC was watercooled with two slow 120mm fans - very quiet.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Still running a Abit-vp6 (Specifications of VP6) with memory (1.5gig atm :|) clocked @ 150 and set to cas2. Puts both my CPU's on 1.126Ghz.
Last year i bought an Ati X1650 and with 2 disk (hade 4, but ofc 1 crashed :|) in RAID 0 mode, it still runs all the games i play fine. Yes, yes even the latest games (FSX, Warhammer Beta, C&C TW, Civ4, DAoC). I wont be hitting high fps, but it's not all to low aswell.

Good thing with these old systems is that they require far less power (and thus have a lower warmth output) and combined with good cooling it's almost silent!

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
When coming into my room I can't hear mine thanks to some judicial usage of fan controllers etc. (I can't check the leds though, I disconnected those yonks ago :p). However after all night of it being on I can hear it in the morning. Is definably quieter than my xbrick (rip) and my laptop.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
I used to have a shuttle. It lived up to it's name and sounded like a take off at houston when turned on. It was slightly quieter during normal running, but made huge noise when under any kind of load

yep all shuttles come with shittty and noisy fans, both the ice cooler one and nortbridge ones are noisey, i replaced em with silentx fans and northbridge got the blu zalman heatsinks on

TdC

Got a Zalman Reserator on Main rig.

yeah, I was thinking about one of those, but at the time I was karking my poota around the place often, and I was feart of moving a watercooler too often. As is, I'm scared to death of a hose loosening o0

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Funny, you never complained about my lose hose before.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Good thing with these old systems is that they require far less power (and thus have a lower warmth output) and combined with good cooling it's almost silent!

That's not true for CPUs these days. Intel are goin crazy with low power usage and every new generation has better power/performance and sometimes even less power overall. The rest of the system may well be using less power too, although graphics cards these days use a silly amount - they will be the next target for power consumption reduction.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Some cars make less noise then my rig and am talking desiels :p

Never been to bothered with quiet as i have a good sound system and can drown out the wife at 3 paces. So am OK :)

For some reated info, My rig is built into a cupboard. I have 6 fans on the rare moving air out the back which can be turned off with a switch, with them off its almost not there. with them on. its like a jet engine. 1 day i'll fit veriable switch, but due to upgrade some parts first so no rush.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My new computer is louder than my old one but I might do some work on it soon to reduce the noise level.

TdC

that looks nice tbh. I'd almost do it just for the NB cooler tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom