[WARRIOR PRIEST] How do you play?

Thimble

Fledgling Freddie
I've looked at some the full group set ups people have posted and a lot of them seem to include the Warrior Priest. This of course is a good thing for us but I'm a little concerned as too the roll we would be used for.

Most people seem to feel that a Warrior Priest would be best used up front with the assist train while keeping the Main Tank as his/her defensive target.
What spec would be best for this roll?

I play a Salvation spec'd WP an to be honest I don't feel that this would be the best roll for a character of my spec.
I find myself running between the other healers (usually RP's and AM's) and the ranged/melee people. I harass anyone that breaks through the line by keeping them snared and protecting the other healers. I feel I do it quite well and and as far as the healing side goes, I'm usually in the top 3. Obviously this is in a scenario enviroment. And possibly doesn't pertain to open RvR fighting.

When defending a keep I find I can stand out of harms way and group heal, shield, HoT and buff very effectively.
The same goes for PvE.

I know. You're thinking, well if you can do all of this and are happy doing it what's your problem?

My problem is, am I getting the most out of my Warrior Priest? Nearly every link I have found states that the WP needs to dps in order to be effective. Yet I feel I've been effectively healing without doing much dps.
I'm just wondering if I should be more offensive. Trying to get in and harass their healers.
Perhaps I'll change a few things around today and put myself further into the fray and see how it goes.

But how do you play your WP and why?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Now that I am nearing the end of tier 3 and am approaching maxing out the salvation tree my playstyle has changed a lot since I first rolled the character.

I very rarely melee these days. Like you I tend to find some middle ground between the squishies and the tanks and run about like a loon casting my group heal with assorted Destruction melee chasing after me.

My own use of melee is restricted to smiting into groups of Destruction to build righteous fury and do some damage and the odd Divine Assault on the back of Witch Elf beating on a friendly target. I'll generally try and use Castigation and Weight of Judgement to snare them too.

I will sometimes go for a caster or healer, and even face off against a tank if there is nothing better to do. But generally I am the one running around like a loon chased by a melee assist train, finding somewhere to stop every now and again casting my group heal.

In scenarios that require capturing a point and defending it I will generally stand on the flag and group heal to my hearts delight. In several scenarios last night, with some switched on group members, we won a number of those including about 3 Doomfist Craters and 3 Lost Temples producing about 130k healing and minimal DPS each time.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Very similar to Turamber but im not to tier 3 as of yet and i agree with both of you about playing the WP as a healer, not a DPS <giggles> class. Played them at 31+ in beta, but my current WP is only level 17, so for accuracy i'll only comment on sub-17 abilities and play style.

I only really melee to build fury and often only melee on whatever comes through to bother the healers/ranged DPS. I love the Castigation/Weight of Guilt combo to snare tanks and peel them off support. After this i'll usually find a defensive target and Divine Strike and Divine Assault to keep them up and inflict some annoying damage to the melee.

This being said, i love to occasionallty mix-it-up and if i see a window of opportunity, i'll take it to whack healers, WE's or mages. Sigmars Fist is a goodie for neutering WE's and DoK's and buffing your WH/WL/Tank while keeping his ass healed.

I'm unconvinced about Repent in pvp, i have tried dropping this on melee which is attacking me while im targetting something else, but i can't honestly say i have ever noticed the damage drop. Probably because when im not facing them they use positionals to kick-out more damage or debuffs, i don't know.

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
Im almost 35 atm, and really love the healing of my wp. My playstyle varies alot by the situation, we run 2 WP in our setup and it turns out to work very nice.... our setup is tank heavy and our playstyle refelct that. we all pile straight on healers and casters, and we shift the healing + absorbs (2 small + 2 big) and we can maintain very long fighting that way.

i havent maxed my salvation but so far its at 13 with a few of the skills bought next project is speccing for the improved snare..... all targets snared for 12 secs as i recall, think it will work nicely.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
very similar playstyle to Turamber. I mostly heal in RvR or Scenes. Occassionaly getting to whack the odd WE or tank straying too far from his pack. PVE I go 2H Hammer. Everywhere else 1h + book. Current book has +42 Will which is a nice heal bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom