How Did It All Start?

S

Strondor_New

LO all stron here.
Now I don't want to come over all pacifist / treehugger (oooerrr!) but I have never found / read anywhere the historical basis for the wars between the realms of DAOC. Mythic don't seem to have provided us with any material as to why the respective realms should want to go around killing each other instead of trading etc. Has anyone else found such material. It would make the game a little more playable if there was some reason for fighting in addition to rps and player v player fun?

If Mythic has failed to provide such material then I ask you guys to step in! Answers on a post card.
Merit will be given for literary skill (hint hint Belomar, we haven't had one of your great sagas for a while) or for just funny suggestions (Apathy go get your Quill of Wittiness + 8 out!).

R

Repent Reloaded

is this a game ? .... I think it is :D

-edit-
I mainly said that becoz I cant think of anything smart to say....sorry <walks away in shame>

peace.

Arnor should give a gud reply :D

M

mcdonalds

Think we kill um coz they is ugly,

thats a good reason for me :p

S

StormriderX

Originally posted by mcdonalds
Think we kill um coz they is ugly,

thats a good reason for me :p

aye hate those bloody tin cans :twak:

A

Apathy

Originally posted by Strondor_New
(Apathy go get your Quill of Wittiness + 8 out!).

Apathy hits you with his Quill! You feel...bemused.

Clearly the entire war started out with the realms of Albion and Hibernia getting really pissed off about being woken up at 4am by the rampaging hordes of Midgard. During the first few fights, a Lurikeen was mistaken for a Realm Guard by an R1L6 paladin and killed, instigating hostilities between the previously neutral realms of Albion and Hibernia.

a.

B

Belomar

Ooh! The gauntlet has been cast! Will I have the strength to lift it? Not atm, unfortunately, but give me a little time... ;)

I

indeed

yes im bored

Once upon a time midgard food stocks were very low (its hard to grow crops in Odins), a troll in Jordheim claimed that he had found a plentiful supply of very tasty meat.

An army set sail towards the land of Albion. They were able with much success to bring back ship loads of humans. The dorfs were fed, the trolls grew fatter and everyone was happy. Some of the humans even came inside tin cans. Midgard armourers used them to make new weapons.

A few years past and the food supplies started dry up again. It seemed that animals that trolls had brought as pets and had accidentally released into the Albion frontier were also eating the Albinons and forcing them back into their mainland.

A clever kobold came up with an idea. Another land near by was perfect for farming humans, it was already full of some silly little creatures that didn’t taste very good but it was decided to transport live humans to the land of Emain where they could grow and be farmed whenever necessary.

Things were good again, except the original inhabitants of Emain were not happy with Midgard for dumping so many humans in their homeland. The trolls offered to share their food but the Hibs explained that they didn’t eat meat.

The Hibs killed the Albs day and night, but try as hard as they could they could not keep up with the incredible birth rate. Finally angry and annoyed they declared war on Midgard.

The great war of Midgard and Hiberia had begun, occasionally the food would get in the way.

A

Archeon

Well mainly its because its a game, there doesn't really need to be a valid-historic tie-in.

I think they do throw us a little bone, if i remember rightly theres somthing in the original manual (or the box) about the time-period being just after Aurther (king of albion, dude in Camelot with the whole 'all men are equal, but i get the first piece of the pie' thing going for himself) had died (painfully)...

...now without aurther (gimp) the concoured lands of Midgard and Herbina rose from their oppressed state and declared indipendence from Camelot (Horray!) Albion realising that their arms were worthless without trolls and firbolgs in their ranks decided 'Oi! we want our cannon fodder back' so they decided to invade us...

Of course, because there were three realms Midgard and Herbinia decided it would be more interesting if they tried to kill each other because to be honest the forces of albion were a joke.

And so we all kill each other. The End!

Note From Me: I might have added in one or two midgard bias comments, but the general story is right i think up untill the point with the albion armys needing trolls and firbys

K

Karlo

Its because Arthwr pulled the luri from the stone... everyone knows that.

S

Strondor_New

good going guys! keep 'em coming!

:clap: :bazbeer: :clap:

P

Pandemic

mmm seem to remember way back in the day i used to camp amg in emain in the morning and kill solo albs like finster (back when he was an alb) guess that pissed them off a bit. didnt get zerged as there were no fg's back then and no hibs at all :)

Pandemic

A

alithiel50

I couldn't sleep, so having read this I decided to turn my hand to a little fantasy fiction... I hope you all like it! ;)

The full moon smiled down on the sleeping city of Camelot, bathing it's streets in pale light. Wrapped in only a fur taken from her bed, Alithiel stood at her window and admired the peaceful scene. She lifted her hand and ran her fingers through her hair, which flickered like a flame as it caught the moonlight. A resigned sigh escaped her lips, creating a wisp of mist in the chill air, and her thoughts turned to the troubles at hand… And how it had all begun….

The fierce and warlike people of Midgard had fallen upon Albion like a storm from the snowy northern wastes they called home. Unprepared for the violence and brutality of the assault, the proud warriors and knights of the realm found themselves pushed back to the inner borders of their beloved Albion. Besieged as they were, they turned to those they called allies. But the Hibernians, always arrogant in the security afforded by their obscenely powerful magics, refused their aid, seeing before them an opportunity to annexe disputed lands while the bulk of the Albion army were engaged elsewhere in the defence of their realm. Now, fighting a war on two fronts, Albion was hard pressed and the future looked grim indeed. But Alithiel knew that, as in all good tales, all was not lost. For she knew that when the enemy glared their hatred at her across the field of battle, she would not stand alone - The mightiest of Albion’s warriors and mages would stand beside her, and their courage and honour would bring them victory!

A contented sigh from within the room intruded upon Alithiel's thoughts. She turned and glanced across at her bed where, illuminated by a shaft of light which shone through a crack in the shutters, a slender and delicate arm poked out from beneath the pile of furs. She shivered as the cool night breeze wafted in through the window and, smiling softly to herself, closed the shutter and walked softly towards the bed - with its promise of comfort and warmth….

K

Kagato.

If I remember rightly, King Arthur was keeping the peace between the 3 realms but after his death things fell apart, Midgard who had formely been driven back by Albion and defeated in the past rose back up again seeing the death of King Arthur as a fresh chance to conquer Albion, Meanwhile Hibernia's mystic bods saw some dark cloud rising out of it all decided that destroying the other two realms was the only way to stop this dark cloud enveloping Hibernia too. Hence the war and why its called Dark Age of Camelot, can't remember where I read all that but it was somewhere. Essentially Camelot is trying to defend its glory, midgard is just causing trouble and hibernia has come up with some sissy excuse for it all. :D

R

raer

Re: yes im bored

Originally posted by indeed
The great war of Midgard and Hiberia had begun, occasionally the food would get in the way.

rofl :great:

T

Trinilim

Once upon a time, there was a great king, whose name was King Arthur.

This king was ruler of 3 realms, Hibernia, Midgard, and Albion.

At this time, there weren't "3 realms". They were all one big land mass known as Camelot.

The evil wizard/sorceror Mordred put King Arthur to his death, and was killed as well, but unlike King Arthur, who could not control his fate after death, Mordred remained as a spirit.

The spirit of Mordred brought a curse upon the great land of Camelot, and without the rule of the valiant King Arthur, conflict grew within Camelot.

Eventually, 3 sects were divided from the once great Camelot, and each of them suffered their own curse.

The magically enhanced realm became known as Hibernia, but they weren't always magical. Oh no, they could use magic allright, but they were far from the masters of the art that they are to this day. As far as written history goes in the Hibernian lands, a stone, known as the Moonstone, was discovered within the lands of Hibernia, and the masters of the arcane learned secrets from it, and discovered its ability to enhance their own magic abilities. They learned the secret of magical destruction and annihalation. Some few learned to summon great orbs of energy and to launch them at enemies with great destruction, and others learned to concentrate an enormous amount of energy into their body and have it explode out of them with a fury not many live to tell about.

Mordred's curse however, did not skip over the bright and green hills of hibernia. While their magic became strong, their melee became weak, and crippled. Their assassins were next to nothing, and while their meleers weren't bad, they were nothing compared to the other realms.

The melee enhanced realm became known as Midgard. Mordred's curse hit them very harshly. Once a vastly intelligent, handsome peoples, Mordred's curse brought their noblest of men into horrendous figures that nothing from nature could possibly concieve, and wasted their minds to near nothing. The Midgard population was crippled, and was defenseless against the other realms.

But Thor, and other to-be lords of weaponry, took pity upon the Midgard people, and while not restoring them to their once brilliant selves, enhanced them with might, and strength. The most horrifying and cruel warriors emerged from Midgard, bloodthirsty for vengeance. Some were able to summon so much rage, that their bodies changed size and shape, and did enormous amounts of damage, and others were able to summon forth the fury of Thor, with lightning bolts from the sky.

Their weakness, however, was that without the full restoration of the intelligence this realm once had, their mages became poor, and weak. While still enhanced by the lords of Midgard, they were nothing compared to the other realms.

The third and final sect became known as Albion. This land suffered the most from Mordred's curse, as this was the land that the great King Arthur had been born in, raised in, and reigned in. King Arthur's knights of the round table trained men and women to become great warriors, some of which even had holy powers to enhance themselves and others. The great Merlin, who had fought Mordred along side of King Arthur, gave his scrolls of wisdom to the masters of the arcane.

The curse of Mordred weighs heavily on all these men and women, as they do not possess the mighty strength of Midgard, nor the stunning magicians of Hibernia, but rather, have a mixture of the 2. Albion warriors can summon forth great hastes of the arch angels themselves, or chant songs to improve themselves and others, and Albion wizards can concentrate flames and fire into gigantic swelling spheres of magma, and launch them at the enemies, as well as setting their skin ablaze with liquid-hot fire.

Merlin, whom gave the scrolls of wisdom to the Albions, set off upon a quest to stop the evil Mordred once and for all. To trap his spirit in another dimension, even if it costs him his life. For when the evil Mordred has been stopped, the curses shall be lifted from the realms, and they may live in peace and harmony again, under the rule of a new king, the heir of King Arthur, whom nobody knows who, nor where.

ofc, I made most of this up, still not a bad explaination though :)

B

Belomar

Originally posted by alithiel50
She turned and glanced across at her bed where, illuminated by a shaft of light which shone through a crack in the shutters, a slender and delicate arm poked out from beneath the pile of furs. She shivered as the cool night breeze wafted in through the window and, smiling softly to herself, closed the shutter and walked softly towards the bed - with its promise of comfort and warmth….
Nice story Alithiel -- but whose is the arm!?! I smell some pr0n coming here, we want to know what happens! A slender and delicate arm, could only be another girl... Or maybe Strondor, that Avalonian wuss? :D

R

redknapp

Hmmm,

Once upon a time there were three women. Their names were Anthea 'Albion' Turner, Ulrika 'Midgard' Johnsson and Aled 'Hibernia' Jones.

Anthea, being kinda wishy-washy, but also being spoilt rotten by King Bovey, decided she wanted a pony. Therefore she sent an army off to the Odins Gate region to get her a Sleipneirson, but forgot to ask Ulrika first. Ulrika, being blonde, thought Anthea was in fact going to Lancaster Gate, after her very own pet, the Sveneriksson. Therefore Ulrika decided to start a fight with Anthea. Although Anthea brought 4 fg of minor celebrities, Ulrika had shagged most of em, and they fought like pansies, which they still do to this day. Aled, being a faggot, cried a lot, and sang songs about snowmen.

Ok this explains nothing, but I know who I would put my money on to win a fight, and I bet Ulrika is better in the sack.

GO MIDGARD!!

B

bewal

I know much of the history as it is thought to be but her is a small summary of NON Hollywood interpretation.

In likely reality, Arthur was really a celt that lived after the romans had left Britain for the last time, around years 500 - 600. At this time celtic tribes invited saxons and angols to help them with their internal wars and saxons stayed, as a reward. They gained in power, emigrated in greater numbers and eventually conquered much of the country, celts being pushed off. Arthur reputedly beat the saxons in 12 battles that brought them to standstill for some time. Only in Wales did the celts eventually hold out. Bit by bit the races mingled.

Celts being the Hibernia, Albion having both Hibernian and Saxon influences and Midgard being Saxon. Midgard's viking traditions in actuality started much later when scandinavian kings conquerd britain for some time.

So the game is all mix up of everything thrown together. There was no platemail wearing knights, no vikings, only lice infested hairy bearded warriors fighting with often crude weapons, spears, axes, swords and wooden shields. Just be happy and kill those albs and hibs, ours is not to question why, our is to do or die.

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by Karlo
Its because Arthwr pulled the luri from the stone... everyone knows that.

I thought it was because Arthwr pulled a luri while stoned.

B

Belomar

I think Hibs hate us because the Lurikeen Liberation Front is whipping up the opposition against Albion due to our mindless killing of their brethren, the pygmy goblins. :D

O

old.Odysseus

How it all started?

Well some time ago, in a galaxy far far away someone invented Realm Points.

A

alithiel50

Originally posted by Belomar
Nice story Alithiel -- but whose is the arm!?! I smell some pr0n coming here, we want to know what happens! A slender and delicate arm, could only be another girl... Or maybe Strondor, that Avalonian wuss? :D
It was entirely a work of fiction, honestly... I was just trying to grab the readers attention! :uhoh:

And no, it wasn't Strondor... he's not quite slender and delicate enough for my tastes! (no offence intended, Stron ;) )

If enough people want to hear more about the Adventures of Alithiel Brightblade (and want to make an in-game donation so I can hire a decent scribe ;) ), I'm sure I can pen a few more brief passages to post on the boards at some point in the future....

A

Apathy

Originally posted by alithiel50
And no, it wasn't Strondor... he's not quite slender and delicate enough for my tastes! (no offence intended, Stron ;) )

Other than soldering wire, it doesn't get any more slender or delicate than the Avalonian. :p

a.

T

Trinilim

Originally posted by bewal
In likely reality, Arthur was really a celt that lived after the romans had left Britain for the last time, around years 500 - 600.

Then why is Albion the 'King Arthur' setup?

I just can't picture King Arthur reigning from disney land.

C

cadiva

Arthur is generally thought to be an amalgamation of various Welsh battlelords who lived around the time the Romans were withdrawing from Britain in about 410 AD.

At that time the make up of the 'British' population was a mixture of Celts, Picts, British (those who were originally Celt/Pict and who had intermarried with the Romans).

The Saxons came after the Angles ( and both were from different regions of Northern Germany).
The Angles settled what is now East Anglia and Norfolk while the Saxons settled East, South and Middle Sex (obviously now all combined into the one county).
The Vikings started raiding around 700-900 AD, mostly on the eastern coast of England and settled in Northumbria and Yorkshire, which is where they settled, many Northern English towns owing their roots to these Viking invaders - York/Jorvik being the most famous.

Jolly nice site on the history of Roman Britain by Guy de la Beyodere.

Roman Britain

and another one on a brief history of Britons as related to someone's name

British names

Anyways, sorry to bore you all but this is one of my favourite bits of British history and I've got a shitload of books on it ;)

T

Trinilim

No offense bud, but this game isn't exactly based on history ;)

When was the last time you read about a fire wiz in a history book :p

Users who are viewing this thread