hosting

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
for various reasons I wish to move my site from hosting it at home on the end of an 8mbit line to a "real" host on the interweb somewhere. for some reason I remembered fasthosts, but after filling in the form for a linux pro server and inputting my CC details the submit button only managed to return an error. emailing the "27-7" available helpdesk (on friday) about the error and asking what they think I should do hasn't resulted in an email back. uber service, we've heard of it :p

anyway, I don't want them hosting me anymore, have you any alternatives? I require full control over my domain and everything that goes with it. I want PHP and MySQL, I want some email addys and I want the site to be reasonably fast and responsive. I don't need 60gb worth of traffic or loads of gigs worth of storage. Anyone know of such a host?

TdC

little did I know there are lots of threads here about it ;) I'll post my choice.

TdC

hmm, I'm thinking about 34sp atm, but they seem to be a bit stingy on the space side, even though I'd be taking their "pro" package. can anyone do a comparison with their hosts?

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Godaddy offers way more storage space and pretty much the same basic features. Been using them a while and haven't had any problems but then I haven't used many advanced functions other than the mailboxes and a little PHP.

Chilly

Balls of steel
my current host, Webmania offers 500mb space, 6gb transfer, mysql, php, linux boxes, very good control panel, lots of settings to fiddle and break, also they have live techies on IRC quite often which iv spammed a good few times. oh, its £20 a year and £15 for a 2 year co uk domain, although they iwll host yourdomain for free if you supply the right magic nubmers.

/edit an example of a nice fast site here

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm on Dreamhost,
$10 for the year
Free .com address
1600MB disk space
80GB traffic

TUG

It's my birthday today!
I'm on the Elite package from www.hosting-unlimited.net except I got it from one of their ebay deals and saved 40 quid :D:D Been good for the last 9 months I've been on it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
TdC said:
for various reasons I wish to move my site from hosting it at home on the end of an 8mbit line to a "real" host on the interweb somewhere. for some reason I remembered fasthosts, but after filling in the form for a linux pro server and inputting my CC details the submit button only managed to return an error. emailing the "27-7" available helpdesk (on friday) about the error and asking what they think I should do hasn't resulted in an email back. uber service, we've heard of it :p

anyway, I don't want them hosting me anymore, have you any alternatives? I require full control over my domain and everything that goes with it. I want PHP and MySQL, I want some email addys and I want the site to be reasonably fast and responsive. I don't need 60gb worth of traffic or loads of gigs worth of storage. Anyone know of such a host?
I'll do it for ya fella, i've got a reseller account, though it'd be on the proviso that you can live with some limits & no gurantees!

TdC

tell me about those limits mr. G ;) btw, do I get SSH access?

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Burton Hosting have been great for me after a terrible time with Fasthosts. :)

slashjunior

Fledgling Freddie
I'm with Globat. Its American but you get 75GB transfer per month 5,000MB space, Flash, Perl, SSI, PHP, MySQL, FTP, Frontpage extensions, 99.9% uptime, E-Commerce shopping cart. Costs $4.95 a month, which is around £30 a year.

They've been great with me. Download speeds are quick and the bandwidth will let you do anything. I know sites much bigger than mine who have less than half as much space and bandwidth I have. Plus you can get your own email addresses so you don't have to worry about the fuss about Gmail or whatever :)

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i'm with 34sp, awsome hosting

PS, shouldn't a hosts theread be stickied at some point, as we get hundereds of threads identical to this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom