hosting?

killa beez

Fledgling Freddie
I want to register a domain name, where is the best place to do this?

and, how do make this domain a webite and associate it to an e-mail address?

Dont really expect someone to teach me, but where do I find out about all this?

Ta KBz :drink:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It depends what the bit on the end is (you can see how much I know about this).

I used www.tv to register my domain www.soundman.tv, included in that price is a free redirect to another website, so I put my website on my ntl webspace, and redirected the .tv site to there.

I also have www.tomjeffs.co.uk, I'm not certain, but I think that was http://www.spannersoftware.com/

I also had them redirect that domain to my ntl webpage.

They can host your pages for you, but you have to pay a bit extra for that.

/edit: http://www.domainnameshop.co.uk/ instead of the spanner link

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Just make sure you don't use a reseller. Go direct to a company that will register the domain direct with whoever runs the domain type. Don't go direct to the naming body.

The main naming bodies are -

for co.uk domains, www.nic.uk
for .coms, .nets, .orgs and such like, www.internic.com

If you go for a non uk domain, the domain is dealt with by OpenSRS or Tucows.

Those guys will charge the earth for a domain.

You want somewhere that will deal with OpenSRS, Tucows, or Nominet. The companies will be able to charge a lot less than by going directly to the above governing bodies.

As I work for a web hosting company, and domain registration company, I tend to pick these things up.

Thing is, I'm not gonna recommend or mention my employer here, because if I mention them at all, I'll be out of a job. They are very protective of employees mentioning them at all without thier approval.

Anyway, have a search around, but when you contact a company, ask if they are using a domain registration company themselves, or if they go direct to Nominet or OpenSRS. If they go direct, use them. If they don't and use somewhere else (resellers) don't touch them with a 20 foot pole.

Dunno if I've explained myself properly, but thats about the best advice I can give.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
i second the http://www.123-reg.com I used them for my .net domain and they register it in your name as well.They offer web forwarding, email forwarding as well as options for managing your dns settings (using nildram i managed to point my domain name at my ip and back again as a hostmask :p )

Dawnrider

Fledgling Freddie
Seriously.

I do this stuff a lot, and so these are my recommendations:

US companies are far cheaper than UK ones. For £5, you'll get no databases, no scripting, limited e-mail, < 100MB storage and <5GB transfer a month. You can outgrow that by coughing.

There are three cases:

::deletes:: Nevermind. I was going to say small, medium and dedicated sites, but to be honest, my favourite host at the moment is iPowerWeb.com. For $7.95 a month (£5), they do you 40GB transfer, 800MB storage, MySQL, 400 POP accounts, FTP, SSH, PHP/Perl, shopping carts, promotional assistance and *AN ABSOLUTELY SUPERB CONTROL PANEL SYSTEM* to do all web site tasks for you.

They're a US company making them far cheaper. You won't get as good a package in the UK for less than £300 a year. Trust me, I've brought those UK ones, and I'm kicking myself.

And they throw in a free domain when you register!

That'll do most of your needs. If you want something larger, they also do a dedicated server deal for $49 a month (£30). 500GB of transfers, 40GB of disk space, and a server to yourself. You need to read up a lot on Linux, really, to do this, but if you've got a site with 40GB+ of monthly traffic, you'll have to know what you are doing :)

And that's about it. I was going to recommend you starting with one of these £5 a month UK deals, but then I realised that iPowerWeb are cheaper.

If you need to call them for support (you can e-mail too, obviously), then call 08708011500 for Affinity 24/7. They're a telephone service that lets you call internationally. You call them and get charged national rate (2.5p evenings, BT) and then they connect you to most major countries for free (they get a cut of the national rate phone charge to you, like the old 0845 internet services did).

EvilMonkeh

Fledgling Freddie
Talyn said:
Just make sure you don't use a reseller.
a resseller can be a very cheap way of doing hosting, just make sure you know the person before hand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom