Honesty? or serves the idjut right?

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
If you found an item on a CM for 10 gold which you know by looking at the others available normally costs 10 plat upwards, would you:-

1) Buy it & keep it thinking "serves the silly boogar right!"
2) Buy it yourself to stop someone less scrupulous taking it & then PM the house-owner & return it.
3) PM the house owner.
4) Just leave it there.
5) Other (please clarify).

kivik

Part of the furniture
I would buy it and demand a reward before giving it back :)

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
last time it happened i bought the item, pm:ed the houseowner and gave it to him.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
A friend of mine, who is a very nice person and dear friend made that mistake with an 8plat item. After seeing how upset she was about it, I think i'd buy it then pm the person to inform them of the mistake and give it them back.

Personally if someone was kind enough to do that for me if I made the mistake, i'd give them a plat for being so honest at least anyway.

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
A couple of times I've bought stuff for what I presumed was wrong pricing (gold instead of plat) and then kept hold of it until I could pm/find the person/guild to give it back to them and also had it done for me once too :)

Imo its the "right" thing to do :)

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Buy it and think, "it's my lucky day!". Then put it on my cm for 10p :D

Iwan

Fledgling Freddie
Bluesky said:
A couple of times I've bought stuff for what I presumed was wrong pricing (gold instead of plat) and then kept hold of it until I could pm/find the person/guild to give it back to them and also had it done for me once too :)

Imo its the "right" thing to do :)

Jep it is, but if im short on gold I would just keep/sell it.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Last time I listed something for the wrong price (12g instead of 12p) it was gone within 5 minutes. (I realised what Id done and went back to change it)...

silly me

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
I wonder if the person who bought the Zimmeron's Wrath from my CM this morning for 10g will be kind enough to contact me then. I'm new to Mid & not rolling in cash by any stretch of the imagination :D

If not, then I hope they get max enjoyment out of the nice cheap sword. I can't really get annoyed about it. It's only a collection of pixels in a game & almost certainly 100% my own fault. Could've used the plats tho lol

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Id keep it tbh and think nothing of it ... especially if i needed the item :D

If someone can be so passive on setting the price of an item thats worth abit then they obviously dont need the cash or the item ... so it should be a lesson they can afford to learn etc ;)

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
Punishment said:
If someone can be so passive on setting the price of an item thats worth abit then they obviously dont need the cash or the item ... so it should be a lesson they can afford to learn etc ;)

Well I'd just bought my cottage & CM last night with all my available cash & all other prices were in gold not plats cos I didn't have anything else that valuable. I originally set it at 25P but then decided to put the price down to 10P as I wanted to get rid of it as quick as possible as I need the cash for scrolls, & obviously I must have put it at 10G i/o 10P.

But as I said, it's certainly my own mistake & I was blind drunk last night :p so really my own fault, so if the person doesn't contact me then I hope they enjoy the cool sword & I'll just have to suck up & gather cash elsewhere.

Life goes on...

censi

Can't get enough of FH
imo this falls under the catagory of tough shit.

Kados

Loyal Freddie
Buy it, screenshoot it, and destoy it

Move on hippies!

mercury

Fledgling Freddie
Honestly

There's an even better example.......

I found a CM once where the owner hadn't put his items for sale properly and you could just take the lot as though they were yours. I took everything worth having. Then pmd him and told him how to do it properly, and passed the stuff back. There is no other way that isn't low-life opportunism.

Edit : oops, forgot to add IMO

Midgem

Fledgling Freddie
This isn't as simple as first seen .... yes it does fall under "tough shit"

I also think that if you are stupid enough not to check your listings, then it's your fault.

But there's also the newbie seller who doesn't know/ understand whatever ... depends on your morals - are you happy taking someone who can't afford it for a drop in the ocean to you? I wouldn't be, even though I'm nowhere near rich.

I'm an Atheist, but at the end of the day one tenet holds true - Do Unto Others .... etc ... and in any case, I can sleep at night (or day, as it happens)

Midgem

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
HereComesThePain said:
and im sure that couple of the ppl who say they would give it back they wouldnt.
Don't dare to tell me what I would do or even have done in the past - get a clue before opening your mouth to change feet :wanker:

Punishment

Resident Freddy
mercury said:
There's an even better example.......

I found a CM once where the owner hadn't put his items for sale properly and you could just take the lot as though they were yours. I took everything worth having. Then pmd him and told him how to do it properly, and passed the stuff back. There is no other way that isn't low-life opportunism.

Edit : oops, forgot to add IMO

Yea but thats different m8 ... its a n00b mistake ... and way to harsh to take advantage of ..... IMO ;)

illu

Part of the furniture
DAOC + Alcohol = trouble :>

I hope the person that bought it gives you a bit of cash towards what it was worth but then again, they don't have to :(

Next time you are thinking of having a few drinks and have some SB ice-shadow jerkins on your CM - give me an email :)

Oli - Illu

mercury

Fledgling Freddie
Noobs

Punishment said:
Yea but thats different m8 ... its a n00b mistake ... and way to harsh to take advantage of ..... IMO ;)

...and putting an item on at 1% of the going price is not a noob mistake?

You don't have to be a n00b to make n00b mistakes (believe it - I've been there). Even if you did need to be a n00b to do daft stuff, you might have a leetle itsy-bitsy problem in determining just where the n00b line is drawn.

"Wait! Is this a n00b making an ordinary mistake, or is it a n00b making a n00b mistake? No, it might be a leet making a n00b mistake or a leet making an ordinary mistake. Arghhhh
<Reaches for the Ibuprofen> By which time someone else has nicked it from under your nose." :)

There's a name for those who go around taking advantage of other people's mistakes - :wanker: s.

Anyway - whatever you can live with......

mercury

Fledgling Freddie
Candyman

HereComesThePain said:
Buy it & keep it thinking "serves the silly boogar right!"

...serves the silly boogar right <thoughtfully removing candy from baby's mouth> bah!

:twak:

Punishment

Resident Freddy
mercury said:
...and putting an item on at 1% of the going price is not a noob mistake?

You don't have to be a n00b to make n00b mistakes (believe it - I've been there). Even if you did need to be a n00b to do daft stuff, you might have a leetle itsy-bitsy problem in determining just where the n00b line is drawn.

"Wait! Is this a n00b making an ordinary mistake, or is it a n00b making a n00b mistake? No, it might be a leet making a n00b mistake or a leet making an ordinary mistake. Arghhhh
<Reaches for the Ibuprofen> By which time someone else has nicked it from under your nose." :)

There's a name for those who go around taking advantage of other people's mistakes - :wanker: s.

Anyway - whatever you can live with......

Yes there is a line ... but as i said in my 1st post if the person doesnt set the price on 1 item right they obviously werent paying attention ... but to not be able to set up a house cm is a completely different thing tbh ... and i wouldnt take advantage of that ... to clear someone out 100% is lame ;)

Its easy to act all high and mighty ... im just being honest :m00:

Sigwyen

Fledgling Freddie
Well there's no right or wrong here .. it all depends on the eyes seying this and the type of person u are ... some might disagree but thats becourse they see trough the eyes of the righttius ... if u beleave in doing good and helping others u would surely buy the items pm the house owner and return it freely not accepting any reward either ....

Tried to sell something myself for 6gp (golm) in the old days and got it back :) ... And i was really gratefull for that .. didn't even tknow i set it to 6gp he heh but then again daoc can't upset me its only a game and doesn't reflect my real life besides my own personal moral etics etc that ofc shine trough :)

But if u beleave every lesson should be learnt the tough way and that ones misfortune is ur own fortune then u would keep it and see nothing wrong with that and many will agree with u ´....

All u can to this is that aye it was a mistake and wether or not u will get a pm dependes on the type of the buyer imo :)

And aye i know nothing is only black and white .. some might return depending on other surcumstances etc ... but in general :)

/Mirk

Urgat

Part of the furniture
hmmm

I am gonna be totally honest here...

I would buy the item cheap, and if i didnt need it, put it on my CM for a price i know would sell in order to make some serious fast cash.

I could TRY to justify it by saying i am starting out on the realm again, and have about 200g to my name... but i don't really think it does justify it TBH.

I recognise this as a "mean" thing to do... but i guess i am just too mercenery to let my concience win out.

i am quite ashamed actually.

:(

*Edit... having said that, i wouldnt do it to someone i knew, or played along side regularly. I would buy it and give it them back so they could sell it properly.

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
illu said:
Next time you are thinking of having a few drinks and have some SB ice-shadow jerkins on your CM - give me an email :)

Oli - Illu

loool
I'd never be THAT daft :p
Wait...
OMG! Where are the SB ice-shadow jerkins I put up yesterday for 10g?!???

j/k :p
<wonders what SB ice-shadow jerkins are>

Everz

FH is my second home
i found a house where the high plat items (ml10 etc) where prices in gold, i bought em and sold em in plats.. ;D

Jerelyn

One of Freddy's beloved
i've never encountered a cheap item myself, but i guess i'd buy them and pm the guy, but i don't think i'd put effort in it. Give it a few PM's over a few days, and if said person doesn't respond.. Well then i'm the happy owner of a few cheap items.

-Jerelyn

HereComesThePain

Fledgling Freddie
@blusky

where exacly in the 2 posts i made in this thread u saw ur name ? i said some ppl who say they would give it back they wouldnt..i didnt say blusky bla bla bla ... so

get a clue before opening your mouth to change feet

kktnx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom