home network

A

-AP-

Ok people you are going to have help me out here. I have recently got a new computer, runs fine and i am happy with it. While at uni i downloaded about 6 gigs worth of mp3 onto my old computer which i now want to transfer to my new computer.

I really haven't got a clue about network cards, i have already bought some crappy card to which i couldn't find a working driver. What i need to do is put a network card into my new computer which i can connect to the card on my old computer (used to link upto the uni lan).

Unfortunately being not that knowledgeable on this subject don't know what type of card i need, or i it really makes much difference which card i get.

Thanks for any help

Powers

T

Testin da Cable

you need a bog-standard ethernet card m8eh, not the cheapest one though heh try the second cheapest if you only need it for this one thing. otherwise I'd advise getting a slightly more expensive one [like a 3com or something] if you want to do some lanning or so with it.
you will also need something called a 'cross-cable'. that is a bit 'o ethernet cable with two of it's wires crossed to allow it to connect two cards together [normally card-hub/switch-card [simply put heh]]
the two components above aren't too costly so you'll make it I guess :)

-TdC

A

-AP-

Yeah, i was hoping to link up and play a few games.... red alert diablo 2 etc. Does the type of connection make any difference. My current ethernet card has both types of connection. Telephone looking type and tv ariel looking type (very technical i know :D). From what i can see most of the card have the telephone type connections.... i guess the other type is for older cards

Any way, thanks a lot. I'll go out and get one today.

L

~Lazarus~

Hate to state the obvious mate - you will need 2 network cards - they retail at about £15 each.

1 crossover cable (as TDC said - how was the holiday btw ?)

One tip when linking the pcs - if you have Zonealarm running - switch it off. Otherwise the 2 pcs will not "see" each other.

I assume you know how to set up the PCs to be able to network software wise

A

-AP-

Yeah i got 2 network cards from some dodgy geezer. 2 problems,

1- i couldn't find a driver that worked
2- One of the computers didn't have the correct socket on the mother board. They use a longer connection than everything else.

I have connected my computer directly to a friend's before.... using my LAN card and the tv ariel type leads .

I already have the lead and 1 ethernet card just need another one. But i think i have it sorted now thanks m8.

Going home early from work today, see you in the hpb servers this afternoon if you like. can make it for about 2:20pm

L

~Lazarus~

BASTID!!!!!

Im in here till 17:00

1 hour to drive home.

2 hours to have tea, give kids a bath, give kids a story in bed.

about 1 hour to rip out the rest of the bathroom.

Then, just then, I might be able to relax and play CS like a fking retard cos Im so knackered.

A

-AP-

Oh i feel for you, honest i do. I am only temping and i don't do anything anyway.... as you can see.

Got a dentist appoitment sometime this afternoon.... just going to leave at lunch. Should give me time to get me a card, start transfering mp3s.... hell knows how long that is going to take!! Might get myself a copy of half-life.... and Bob's your uncle (in fact he is).

And for once it is good to talk to someone who hasn't just got their GCSEs!! I don't like having to ask 15 year olds for advice. Makes me look even more stupid.

Well at leat i can kill people at CS:clap: :clap:

Now that uni is over that is all i really use the internet for.

L

~Lazarus~

Just remembered.

Ive got 2 network cards at home.

Need to stick them in the machine at some point.

Got plenty cable too.

L

~Lazarus~

havent had the need to set them up yet

(only got 1 pc in the house).

Had the network cards / cables left over from when by bro would come up and we would go head to head.

Good thing is I got them for nowt at work.

A

-AP-

Yes i was thinking of 'liberating' a cable from work. I need about 15m though to run it from my room upstairs to the other computer downstairs. Hehehe a few computers could be going down soon.

Might get a hub and link up the third computer, not sure if it is good enough to play any decent games.

L

~Lazarus~

Remember if you are getting a hub you will need a different type of cable.

PC to PC connects using a "crossover" cable.

PC to hub to PC uses straight through cables (usually).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom