Games Home Explosives

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That might be useful if I dig the floor slab up :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
My neighbour has one, another Kubota (an older version of this). It's even more dinky than the one @MYstIC G linked - only 0.75 tons - and its tracks can move inwards to make it 70cm wide. I've used it inside and out, it's a fantastic machine and surprisingly competent (nowhere near chunky enough to use seriously with a breaker though).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That might be useful if I dig the floor slab up :)
It's just one example but similarly to the one you linked, I don't think you'll have a problem with access. Given the available land you've got around you to use for site setup & storage, I think what you're looking to do is probably quite achievable with the right equipment or contractor to do it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So @Job. :)

I've plenty of water pressure (measured at the cold water inlet to my washing machine - like 8 bar or something (I can't remember) - but I've got shit all flow. As per, if I flush the loo, the shower dies, or pretty much any more than one tap at a time.

Preferentially I want to be able to run two showers at the same time, a kitchen tap and (if planning will let me) the same again in an annex I want to build on that wreck of a building outside.

How the fuck do I go about that?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So @Job. :)

I've plenty of water pressure (measured at the cold water inlet to my washing machine - like 8 bar or something (I can't remember) - but I've got shit all flow. As per, if I flush the loo, the shower dies, or pretty much any more than one tap at a time.

Preferentially I want to be able to run two showers at the same time, a kitchen tap and (if planning will let me) the same again in an annex I want to build on that wreck of a building outside.

How the fuck do I go about that?
Put a pump in to push it faster? Is what my mum had on her shower.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Put a pump in to push it faster? Is what my mum had on her shower.
I need to ensure there's enough flow for 4 appliances and a couple of taps as I understand it.

Pressure is fine, it's flow that I'm struggling with, or something.

There's only so much internet reading you can do before you hit "fuck it" and ask someone who knows :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You cant pump the mains without special permission and its expensive.

First you should check all the stops are fully open and check for kinks in pipes, isolators should be full bore.
You might have a furred up feed in to the house, not easy or cheap to fix.
Loads of bends and undersized pipes doesnt help either.
Modern pipe comes in at 25mm, if it drops down to 15 straight away and has lots of small bore isolators and bends it can really restrict flow.

Electric showers need mains, tank fed showers can be pumped and you could pump from a tank to an electric shower but its not regs.

Pressure means nothing without flow obviously and its a common problem, isolators on toilets and taps can be turned down to protect the showers, but really you need a local plumber who knows the local regs.
A roof tank feeding a hw cylinder then feeding the showers is the best setup for low flow problems and you can pump to get a power shower.

Thetes no magic fix, 22mm from the rising main would help.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I suspect the pipe that comes across our field from the un-adopted road is made of lead and was laid in the 1920's. So yeah, I'm expecting expense, and a lot of it.

I did think a big tank in the roof / big hw cylinder might be the thing. It'd have to be a f00king big tank though as I love a bath, she loves a shower and there'll be occasions where we have 8-10 people staying, all of who'm are head-to-toe in sheep shit from MTBing. And that'd be in the main gaff - another 4 in the annex. (Where I'd have to put the same - which I'm less keen on because space would be at a massive premium in there).

Ta. I'll ring a local plumber and see if he'll come and give us a bit of advice and talk through the options. I think the first port of call may very well be the water company though. (I may even pay to get water quality tested).

Embattle

FH is my second home
@Scouse I think any notion of solar on your roof is questionable looking at your picture.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Scouse I think any notion of solar on your roof is questionable looking at your picture.
You mean the trees and mountains blocking it out? ;)

It does actually get quite sunny out back during the higher-in-the-sky sun months. But yeah, I have thought that.

If they were more efficient than they are now then maybe worth it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Domestic Wind Turbine.
Hugely expensive and (believe it or not) we're very sheltered here.

Plus, I don't think that'd fly in the national park anyway, even if it was all good.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Hugely expensive and (believe it or not) we're very sheltered here.

Plus, I don't think that'd fly in the national park anyway, even if it was all good.

Talk in to it, you no doubt create plenty of wind and noise even in person :p

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I went to take a classic short clip but my phone was low in battery.
It was burbo bank turbines all stopped on a cold winter morning and in the distance Warrington power station was running flat out with all its cooling towers sending 300ft wide steam columns into the sky.
Wasting heat because people dont want chimneys in town anymore.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Talk in to it, you no doubt create plenty of wind and noise even in person :p
Problem with that is I'd be converting the calories I expend inefficiently into house electricity and I'd have to eat a lot more food :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You mean the trees and mountains blocking it out? ;)

It does actually get quite sunny out back during the higher-in-the-sky sun months. But yeah, I have thought that.

If they were more efficient than they are now then maybe worth it.

Don't preclude it entirely; I'm at exactly the same latitude as you and the numbers stack up. You also don't have to put them on the roof with all the room you have.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't preclude it entirely; I'm at exactly the same latitude as you and the numbers stack up. You also don't have to put them on the roof with all the room you have.
Again - national park, so I'd not get away with sticking them in a field. Plus, the only field I'd stick 'em in would be the one I'd be looking at, so fuck that :)

I'm not discounting them completely. I'll be doing roof work anyway and half the cost is getting the scaffolding in and doing the roof work - if I'm doing half the job anyway it might be that I can get some panels and get 'em fitted anyway.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Could you put in a heat pump? There's pretty good government subsidies at the moment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Could you put in a heat pump? There's pretty good government subsidies at the moment.
Nah. looked into that in depth. Couldn't make the house airtight enough without knocking the whole thing down.

They work well for very modern builds but 1850's constructions are a no.

That and I'd have to bedrock bore rather than shallow dig trenches - which is hella expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom