Question Home Energy Generation?

rynnor

Rockhound
Anyone doing this? The Governments looking at giving lots of cash back to people who generate their own power thru renewables - solar , wind etc.

Also cash for Combined Heat and Power systems (generally a Gas Boiler that also generates electricity).

I have considered it before but could see no way of making it viable.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've considered it a number of times, but the initial up-front cost puts me off. The ROI is also a problem. If you buy a CHP system, it'll take something in the region of 8-10 years to pay for itself.

I was seriously looking into a wood pellet CHP system to provide heating, hot water and to offset our electricity bill. It was tough to find reliable hard figures that weren't hearsay. It's the same with most renewable energy schemes... big on talking it up, quiet on the details.

rynnor

Rockhound
I've considered it a number of times, but the initial up-front cost puts me off. The ROI is also a problem. If you buy a CHP system, it'll take something in the region of 8-10 years to pay for itself.

I was seriously looking into a wood pellet CHP system to provide heating, hot water and to offset our electricity bill. It was tough to find reliable hard figures that weren't hearsay. It's the same with most renewable energy schemes... big on talking it up, quiet on the details.

It still seems to be something best done by the keen DIY enthusiast (who actually knows what hes doing) - I think the best one is the black pipes on the roof connected to a pump to heat your household water.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
The problem is not the money cost, but the energy cost, very few domestic schemes actually save energy once the manufacturing, transport and running (energy) costs are considered, it can only really be done on a bigger scale.

CHP is a good example, the idea started as a traditional boiler with a small stirling engine attached, but the practical solution is a big stirling engine that also heats water (as part of the heat exchanger).

If you want real domestic power generation, consider this.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Each module will cost $50 million.

:(

still, 25MW electric is pretty frigging awesome, for 10 years o0

rynnor

Rockhound
50 million dollars is a bit out of budget though it does sound like a great piece of kit (although a little shortlived - 7-10 years isnt long?).

Domestic wind is a complete non starter unless your a farmer or large landowner - its best sited on top of a hill about 120 feet away from obstructions and on a 30 foot tall pole.

All the ones you see on houses are silly unless you live on top of Ben Nevis.

Solar requires the right angle of roof and needs to be facing north/south so that its exposed all day to the sun - you cant still do it without this but your already lowering output.

Effeciency drops as they get dirty too or birds crap on them so on your roofs not perfect as its hard to clean em.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Works out as 125 pounds per house per year (assuming 1:2 exchange as in the good ol' days)

Which is 35p a day.

Depends of course on whether that is the total cost or if you have to factor in labor costs; reparation costs etc.

rynnor

Rockhound
You'd have to pay for a steam turbine as well before you could use the power but of course the turbine could be re-used.

A mate suggested sticking it on an Army base so you dont have to pay for extra security - you could actually make a lot of money from supplying electricity to the net - should pay for about 3 more modules over its lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom