• One-Box Samsung/LG/Sony Home Cinema Kit

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Stick with my Yamaha stereo and spend the money on weed

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I've gotten a ton of Blu-Rays for Xmas (LOTR Extended, Star Wars 1-6, Jurassic Park 1-3, Rocky 1-6) and I'm thinking about upgrading from my old, beat-up Yamaha stereo to a proper 5.1 surround system in the sales. Problem is, I've got a really limited budget...something like £300 including cables would be perfect.

I want to be able to connect my PS3 and Sky+ HD box up (via optical?) to get full 5.1 for TV and games (and Blu-Rays if the system doesn't have a built-in Blu-Ray player). Ideally I'd like to be able to hook up everything to go via the receiver so I don't have to mess with a zillion remotes to change between sources.

On my budget, I thought I'd be looking at one of the Samsung/LG one-box home cinema kits with the built-in Blu-Ray player, something like;

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Blu-ray-Ho...NG-HT-D4500-Blu-ray-Home-Cinema-System/761214

or

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Blu-ray-Ho...-LG-HX806SG-Blu-ray-Home-Cinema-System/733288

but they seem to have really limited connection options and I've read that they're not great sounding either, although for the money I'm not expecting sonic miracles. I've also come across this;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/onkyo-ht-s3405-5-1ch-home-cinema-system-10224654-pdt.html

This doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, so I'd be stuck using my PS3 and also the manual looks incredibly complicated!! It does have 2 optical inputs and 4 (four!!) HDMI inputs, with the ability to assign any optical input to any HDMI input (so I can get 5.1 out of my Sky+ box).

So, getting to the questions (eventually!);

1) Does anyone have one of the Samsung/LG/Sony 5.1 systems? Are they any good or were you let down?
2) Does anyone have any experience with Onkyo AV gear? I've heard of them and I seem to think they're decent, but I've never owned/used one. Is it worth paying the extra £50 (and missing out on a Blu-Ray player) to get this brand?
3) If anyone has this Onkyo (unlikely) or one like it, how complex was the setup and could a complete AV noob like me get it sounding good inside of 6 months?

This is how I think I'd setup, if I got the Onkyo

Sky+ Video -> HDMI -> Onkyo (HDMI1)
Sky+ Audio -> Optical -> Onkyo (Optical1)
PS3 Video -> HDMI -> Onkyo (HDMI2)
PS3 Audio -> Optical -> Onkyo (Optical2)
PC Video/Audio -> HDMI -> Onkyo (HDMI3)
Onkyo -> HDMI -> TV (Samsung 46" LCD (old, rubbish, non-3D))

Then tie the Video/Inputs together to a single source selection (Sky->TV & PS3->Game)

I'm so confused! Help me Freddysfriends! :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Im into home cinema and have Onkyo kit, but you'll need to wait until I'm back home as I'm mobile just now.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Im into home cinema and have Onkyo kit, but you'll need to wait until I'm back home as I'm mobile just now.

All advice gratefully received (hahaha!!) at any time Big G. I can ride the big *NIX iron at work, but ask me to record something on Sky+ and I'm lost. Me hooking up a 5.1 AV amp properly seems about as likely as me building the next Space Shuttle. :(

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm in much the same situation as you but I'm only looking at Onkyo for my surround sound system.
I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S5405 system, but I've decided to push the boat a bit further and go for the HT-S6405 instead.

My main things the 6405 has in it's favour are:
Audyssey 2EQ - room acoustic calibration
Ethernet connectivity
Internet radio streams
DLNA audio player
Android Remote App - a big selling point for me now. :)
USB port on the front
Active subwoofer
Zone2 output - play audio in another room

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I'm in much the same situation as you but I'm only looking at Onkyo for my surround sound system.
I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S5405 system, but I've decided to push the boat a bit further and go for the HT-S6405 instead.

My main things the 6405 has in it's favour are:
Audyssey 2EQ - room acoustic calibration
Ethernet connectivity
Internet radio streams
DLNA audio player
Android Remote App - a big selling point for me now. :)
USB port on the front
Active subwoofer
Zone2 output - play audio in another room

Hey Zen :)

I was looking at the S5405 but it seems the only extras you get over the S3405 are an active subwoofer, the Audyssey EQ2 and a front USB connection, which don't seem worth it to me. I'd love to stretch to something like the S6405 which does look to have some real benefits, but I just can't do it right now. Good to find two Freddys so far who like the Onkyo brand...sounds like I could be on to a winner.

Currys are showing the S3405 in stock at my local shop, so I might go down and see if I can have a look-see.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Fuck curry's; buy your av kit from richer-sounds, it will be cheaper and you'll get better service and advice.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If you only have 300 quid for the speakers and the amp then best with a combined set imo.

I got a denon amp and love it but it was around 250 quid and the speakers were 250 as well and thats cheap i since got a bass speaker (upgrading a bit at a time) and that wasa 190 quid on its own and its not anything special

If you got 300 for just the amp then go for it you get a nice one for that ..

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
btw my denon does audio and video over hdmi donno if the one you looked at does that .. but saves some cables :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'll let you have my NAD t747 for 300 :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you only have 300 quid for the speakers and the amp then best with a combined set imo.

I got a denon amp and love it but it was around 250 quid and the speakers were 250 as well and thats cheap i since got a bass speaker (upgrading a bit at a time) and that wasa 190 quid on its own and its not anything special

If you got 300 for just the amp then go for it you get a nice one for that ..

The thing is you can get good seperates on a budget now, the Onkyo budget amps are perfect for those on a shoestring, and Richer are selling off KEF 1005.2 Egg 5.1 kits for 200 notes at the moment...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The thing is you can get good seperates on a budget now, the Onkyo budget amps are perfect for those on a shoestring, and Richer are selling off KEF 1005.2 Egg 5.1 kits for 200 notes at the moment...
you can usually really tell the quality in the cheap amps tho imo

old.user4556

I have an Onkyo 605 AV receiver, had it for nearly 5 years now and it's been brilliant. For an AV amp (IIRC, it was about £500 brand new), it's superb for the money and I've had no real drive to upgrade it (although I have bought KEF XQ speakers all round and replaced my cabling). I will be looking into a stereo integrated amp in the new year to supplement the system as AV receivers are generally 'just ok' for stereo music, particularly if you have very good speakers.

Onkyo's amps tend to win awards year after year and there is a large base of users. Software wise, never had an issue.

I've just had a quick look on Superfi and there is a good budget Sony AV receiver as follows:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3495-sony-strdh820-3d-ready-72-home-cinema-receiver.aspx

Sky+ Video -> HDMI -> Onkyo (HDMI1)
Sky+ Audio -> Optical -> Onkyo (Optical1)
PC Video/Audio -> HDMI -> Onkyo (HDMI3)
Onkyo -> HDMI -> TV (Samsung 46" LCD (old, rubbish, non-3D))

Then tie the Video/Inputs together to a single source selection (Sky->TV & PS3->Game

That should work, I have:

Sky HD Video -> HDMI -> Onkyo (HDMI1)
Sky HD Audio -> Optical -> Onkyo (Optical1)

Single HDMI output into the TV with the AV receiver switching audio / video as necessary. Dude, even my girlfriend can work it, so it'll be a piece of cake for you :). IIRC the PS3 is bound to "Game / TV" and the Sky is bound to "Cable / Sat".

Killswitch

FH is my second home
All good stuff guys, thanks very much. Few things;

1) Going to Comet because I can get there easily today and have a look. If I like it but the price isn't right and/or the service sucks then I'll buy it elsewhere
2) HDMI can carry 5.1 audio, but the Sky+ HD boxes don't support 5.1 over HDMI. That's why I want to add the Optical out for the Sky box. I think the PS3 DOES support 5.1 over HDMI, but since the optical cable is like £10 then why not push the boat out, eh? :D
3) It looks to me like the Onkyo is the "middle ground" between a separates system and a fully-integrated "budget" system. I can easily upgrade the speakers (except the sub) and the amp itself should be much better than a Samsung/Sony package (which has to get a BluRay player in the same budget)

We love you Big G! *girlyscreams*

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You don't need the opticle out for the ps3, just sky hd. The ps3 supports all the formats over hdmi.

Further to that, you really don't want to use opticle as you'd not be able to transport LPCM audio over it.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
That's a point. It depends on the version of PS3 you have.
Don't bother with optical link from PS3. It can't send the HD multichannel audio from current blurays

If you have an "old" "fat" version (like I do), you have to output PCM audio over HDMI to get multichannel sound.
If you have a "new" "slim" version, you can output Bitstream or PCM over HDMI to get multichannel sound or output... your choice.

The difference is that the PS3 does the audio decoding if you send PCM over HDMI, or your AV does the decoding if you send Bitstream.
In the case of the Onkyo AV, you get a little icon saying if it's Dolby TrueHD or DTS when you're sending Bitstream. You only get "MultiCh" if you send PCM. The end audio result should be the same, just a slight difference in volume.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Don't like surround, disconnected it from my home cinema setup. just feels forced and detracts from the imagery

old.user4556

2) HDMI can carry 5.1 audio, but the Sky+ HD boxes don't support 5.1 over HDMI. That's why I want to add the Optical out for the Sky box. I think the PS3 DOES support 5.1 over HDMI, but since the optical cable is like £10 then why not push the boat out, eh? :D

You don't need the opticle out for the ps3, just sky hd. The ps3 supports all the formats over hdmi.

Further to that, you really don't want to use opticle as you'd not be able to transport LPCM audio over it.

Yes absolutely, however the reason I take an optical feed from the PS3 is to feed into a seperate high end DAC for a pair of analogue phonos.

Edit: i was slightly pissed when I replied last night, my optical from the PS3 goes into the DAC - NOT into the Onkyo.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm now the proud owner of the HT-S3405 set with the passive sub. Got everything working as I want pretty much. I have got the PS3 connected with an optical cable and I'm getting proper 5.1 DTS (according to the receiver) but I'll yank it if it gives me some problems.

Went to Currys, argued with the manager about the wording of their sale offer posters and in the end they matched an internet price (249.99 from Hughes Direct) and threw in a HDMI lead and an Optical lead! Picked up some cheap satellite stands from Argos on the way home. I'd call that a result getting a "proper" AV receiver, a 5.1 speaker set and some cables for £250! Guess the next thing would be to upgrade the speakers, but that can wait a few months/years!

I'm chuffed...now for a Boxing Day LOTR-a-thon!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Heh, you shouldnt be using the opticle for blu rays. Hdmi all the way, big g's use of opticle out is for stereo sound through a dac.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Heh, you shouldnt be using the opticle for blu rays. Hdmi all the way, big g's use of opticle out is for stereo sound through a dac.

Okay, I think I understand. Just want to double-check something. I've switched to HDMI sound from the PS3 (old, fat, up-to-date firmware) and I'm getting 5.1 Multichannel PCM via HDMI (and it sounds good). Using the Optical cable and playing Fifa 12 I was definitely getting 5.1 Dolby DTS (at least that's how the receiver reported it). Am I definitely better using HDMI (Multichannel PCM) over Optical, even if I can get proper DTS via Optical?

Just watched the Weathertop scene from Fellowship and nearly crapped myself when the Nazgul calls were coming from behind me. Never had proper surround at home and it's awesome! Well, I think it's awesome anyway. Very glad I laid out the cash now, just need to tweak it for the best sound. :)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Actually, I've cracked it I think...DTS works for the games, but the Blu-Ray vids only get 2.0 PCM via the Optical connection! HDMI it is! Thanks Ch3t :D

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the updates Killswitch.
Is there any chance you could write up a mini review once you've got it settled down the way you want it?
Pros, cons, good, bad, whatever. :)

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I got myself a sound bar, I wanted improved sound and the minimum of clutter/ wires as my living room is quite small.
so far I've not been disappointed :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
article-0-0D5F2B4100000578-480_468x478.jpg

As budget as it gets :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
If you are on a budget Creative do some pretty good 5.1 systems if you don't want to rebuy a blu-ray player. Managed to find one of ebay for £100 and has served me well. Logic3 do a surround sound bar, haven't seen it used in real life, so not sure on quality.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Spend the money on weed. What's the point of upgrading to watch utter shite like Jurassic Park 1-3 or all the Rocky or LotR films. Awful, truly awful. Rocky IV is one of the worst films ever made.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
You're missing the point entirely. This is nothing to do with the films themselves.
Surround sound brings something extra to watching a film, the same way HD brings something extra to the visuals.
There are plenty of crap films, but I don't get those on bluray. "Contact" is an average film, but the audio track is brilliant for testing the full capabilities of sound systems.

You don't like the LotR films? I think they're great.
My wife hates Avatar, yet I really like it.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You're missing the point entirely. This is nothing to do with the films themselves.
Surround sound brings something extra to watching a film, the same way HD brings something extra to the visuals.
There are plenty of crap films, but I don't get those on bluray. "Contact" is an average film, but the audio track is brilliant for testing the full capabilities of sound systems.

You don't like the LotR films? I think they're great.
My wife hates Avatar, yet I really like it.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
i wont buy lotr on blu ray till they release the extended editions on blu ray ... they just ripping ppl off not releasing the extended eds when they been out for ages on dvd

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom