Question Hole digging

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have been pondering this for a little while now, whilst watching several US TV shows.

How come the soil in America is so loose underfoot? Every time I see someone burying a body, the grave digging seems to be done in no time and very easily with a simple spade. The soil appears so loose to dig that if I were to kill someone I'd probably ship the body over there to avoid hurting my back!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Its because they are so large that the ground shakes when they walk, loosening it all up.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've been reading about that stuff. Iirc it's been done on Mythbusters or something? Anyway, digging a hole that's 2 by 1 meters, and 2 meters deep, so 4 cubic meters. The internets say the average specific gravity of naturally occurring soils is 2.65 (equivalent to 2.65g/cm3). If you have a pile of soil, it won't be packed to zero air voids, so figure a void ratio of 0.65. That makes your cubic meter of soil weigh about 1722 kg. So...digging that hole involved moving ~6.9 tons of earth. You can do the rest of the math.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've been reading about that stuff. Iirc it's been done on Mythbusters or something? Anyway, digging a hole that's 2 by 1 meters, and 2 meters deep, so 4 cubic meters. The internets say the average specific gravity of naturally occurring soils is 2.65 (equivalent to 2.65g/cm3). If you have a pile of soil, it won't be packed to zero air voids, so figure a void ratio of 0.65. That makes your cubic meter of soil weigh about 1722 kg. So...digging that hole involved moving ~6.9 tons of earth. You can do the rest of the math.

Ye cannae escape the laws of physics, Cap'n!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Also, the ground is as loose as you like but they can still dig holes with vertical sides with no slippage whatsoever.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Failure to understand simple physics evident.

No pistol or rifle shot will make people fly backwards...not without the shooter also flying backwards...therefore it would make a shit weapon that would not make it to production.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
yup,
notin' wrong with that...I've done it once or twice me self, you know, just for the kicks

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Failure to understand simple physics evident.

No pistol or rifle shot will make people fly backwards...not without the shooter also flying backwards...therefore it would make a shit weapon that would not make it to production.
Don't think I gave an example of a firearm. Failure in comprehension event IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom