HL2 source leak.

C

Ch3tan

Well as no-one else has bothered to post about it, I will fill you in.

Someone has hacked Valve, they have been for a while infact, and stolen the HL2 source code. They then distributed it online.

So 5 years of work by Valve is now in the public domain and hackers and unscruplious game developers have access to everything they need.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10692 < Read.

K

katt!

and they expect people to buy/subscribe to hl2 via cc after this?

E

ECA

Good.

HL2 will still sell bagloads of copies, as well as mods etc. etc.

The main area where valve will lose out is a year or so down the line when unscrupulous devs copy their work.

Valve have been ripping off the community for a while now and steam even more so with its lan centre charging plans.

They should look after the people who put them there instead of throwing shit sandwhiches and making people pay for them.

C

Ch3tan

In what way is it good?

Steam is the way forward, Valve are just the first company to try it. MMPORPG's already charge subscription for the upkeep of servers, eventually all games will start trying to get money out of you after purchase. I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to capitalise on their hard work, you would if you had done it.

Don't you care about the fact that hl2 multiplayer will be doomed from the start with the source available to any hacker who wants it?

E

ECA

with the sdk released it would be easy for any hackers anyway.

I'm sure valve have learnt their lessons from HL1 and spent a lot of team building anti-cheats into HL2.

The fact that a lot of developers will get ideas, tech and inspiration from HL2 will drive the level of games forward a lot faster.

I also think that valve will have been looking at their code for weaknesses a lot more because of this, hence the delay.

They will be changing or modifying their key system/authentication systems as well to make everything more secure.

It can only be a good thing.

I don't see this costing Valve money in the long run because the same amount of people will buy the game ( to play online ), and the modding community will ensure it sells well for the next 5-8 years.

T

throdgrain

It's a fair comment :)

Seriously, is this the end of the world ? Who knows, for all I know HL2 could be the most over-rated pile of shite in the world. Or, maybe the single player will look fantastic, but the multi-player will be a selection of maps in dm and ctf modes. Sound familiar ?
Will people stop playing Counter-Strike and ,to a lesser degree, TFC just because HL2 has come out ? I dunno, but I doubt it.
CS is still rank with cheats , despite steam, but how many are used Ive really no idea. I dont see very many, either because I can't see or because people dont bother. Im far more extreme an admin on our clan server than i am on game.net, but still I dont kick people very often.
Imo steam is far more likely to be the demise of cs than HL2, and even then I dont know why, it works fine now and has done for some time, and I have 3 separate installs on 3 separate pcs atm.Its only real bugbear is for the modem players, and even then there are ways around it.
Oh well, enough rambling :)

D

Deady

It is bad...but whats happened has happened, and cant be reversed now.

I have no doubt that they'll find the person responsible - its a serious crime.

But even when he is caught, the code is still out there.

These lessons need to be learnt sometimes - the hardway.

M

Moving Target

Oh god..... it's real.... The Halflife2.net community stand at your side sir.

omg its real!!!

I kneel before our commander

I'm more worried about these people tbh.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Yeah i lol'd at that too.

Guessing there kissing backside to get invited on to the testing or something.

Im done with hl now anyway, i won't be paying any subs to valve to maintain there auth system, or content delivery systems.

This is just a way of cutting out the publisher and creaming the money for themselfs, and there gona make us (sorry you) pay for it.

I don't mind paying for massively online roleplaying games, these are where it's at. While there's no doubting they make a nominal amount extra for the dev/publisher, the one word id use is persistant.

Loggin into the average cs game, it's just choke point simple gameplay over and over, highly adictive yes, but worth 'x' amount a month, i dont think so.

Like i say im just going from Ch3tan view, how we should constantly give to valve for there services, i do hope they print on the box that the multiplayer content will be useless in 'x' amount of months time when they add new content and if you don't want to pay it your screwed.

Ohh and they better by hosting there own servers.... and not just auth servers, you pay enough for piracy as it is.

Lol i wonder if the cost of 'x' you download from stream will have the ammount they bump on the price taken off because it's at no risk of pirating?

Don't think so, haaha they got you hooked, now you pay!!!!

:p

E

ECA

if you buy the game you'll get that games multiplayer for free, subscribing to steam gets you multiple games mp and is entirely optional.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Originally posted by old.Kurt_Angle

Like i say im just going from Ch3tan view,

I pretty much know the situation with valves multiplayer 'as it stands'.

But Ch3tan was trying to compare the MMPORPG's market to the quick blast fps market, there two different things.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Originally posted by Deady
Ahh Kurt Angle, not seen you for ages ;)

Kurt resides in the world of elite (sorry) eve online.

Caught the bug im afraid to say.

Used to play the odd game during downtime at the weekend, but i can't log in anymore without a messing around:/

Waiting for quake 4, the return to strog, and rocket arena 4:D

C

Ch3tan

I'm not comparing. MMOG charge to keep their servers running. Valve only have to pay for content servers, however, they can make more money on their work than simply the one off sale of software and so are capitalising. I understand why they are doing this. I would do the same in their position.

K

katt!

Originally posted by Ch3tan
I'm not comparing. MMOG charge to keep their servers running. Valve only have to pay for content servers, however, they can make more money on their work than simply the one off sale of software and so are capitalising. I understand why they are doing this. I would do the same in their position.

tbh the cost of running those content servers are probably way way more than the cost of running an mmorpg server. the bandwidth they are using/will use is huge.

and as long as they dont have 10gbit+ bandwidht, i cant see steam working.

C

Ch3tan

Originally posted by katt!
and they expect people to buy/subscribe to hl2 via cc after this?

This is exactly one of the reasons for the delay, they want to make sure its secure first. This is bad for Valve, but fraud across the Steam network would be infinetly worse.

As for subscribing to Steam, I think very few people will subscribe, who actually plays everysingle Valve made mod?

O

old.Kurt_Angle

It's confusing what your saying.

Tbh i don't have a problem with them charging for dl's of new products, if they choose to cut out the publisher.

Just when you used the word MMPORPG's and the way they charge, the dl'ing of new products shouldn't be tied in the same boat as charging for a persistant living world maintained 24/7, just because it's valves game.

C

Ch3tan

Your paying for the server maintenance and bandwidth costs on an mmog, thats exactly what Valve will be charging for.

T

throdgrain

But Valve are only running the auth servers, not the gaming servers, unlike other games like Planetside.
I can see the point of that, because there is only one server (in europe) , its supplied by them and they maintain and update it very regularly, and in a professional manner.
If Valve think that people will pay for the game (CS retail for example, like me) , then pay for Steam to auth them, they are gravely mistaken. It wont happen. However, for all the hysteria on forums and message boards around the world, I dont think thats what they're suggesting, we'll have to see.
And would it be a bad thing ? Well yeah, pay to play doesnt work for this kind of game does it ? here at Game.net, I think we can say that with some confidence :/

M

MYstIC G

It's not what they're suggesting. From my understanding you can subscribe if you don't want a retail CD, otherwise you can do what we all did with Half Life, buy it in a shop & patch it a fuckload. The idea of steam is to improve the patching process, etc.

T

throdgrain

That was my understanding tbh, though if you look at ukterrorist or a variety of other websites you'd be forgiven for thinking the world had ended :)
Of course , it would have to be a "world has ended" in the fashion of cs players, ie omg cs is shit valve are shit everything is shit i am shit whinge whinge etc.
Fucking reg is shit fucking hackers i shagged your mum cheaters you fucking cheat you fucking lamer camper bastard .
1.6 is shit 1.5 was shit everything is shit, 1.6 rapes my fps, omg 1.6 has ruined cs, oh i hate cs blah blah.

(Im a bit fed up with people this morning :( )

A

-adz-

aye to me it sounds silly to pay monthly for the game, then pay monthly subs for use of servers, and maybe also pay monthly for a clan server. Gonna be very costly indeed :)

K

katt!

Originally posted by Ch3tan
This is exactly one of the reasons for the delay, they want to make sure its secure first. This is bad for Valve, but fraud across the Steam network would be infinetly worse.

As for subscribing to Steam, I think very few people will subscribe, who actually plays everysingle Valve made mod?

well. it really doesnt matter how secure they make it. people know they got hacked and will have alot of problem trusting them with their cc #.

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Jesus throd way to go off on one.

No neeeeeeed...

As for online auth's and frontends, there never cracked.

Simple theory is that this is just a great way to distro there patches, and new mods ect...

Ill throw it up though and say there more to it, it's obvious valve are looking for a cash cow.

As for cs, sure it sucks, like most other fps games these days.

There full of people just trying to hard, like it realy matters or something, tis not for fun anymore, it means too much to people:/

Hence all the cry baby excuses, cheating calls and name calling.

Hehe last time i logged into a tfc game, i get kicked by console, my score went over a 50% ratio, what BS:p

Stupid fps gaming these days, someone invent a time machine :eek:

T

Tom

99% of what you see written about cs and steam is from children

They're delaying hl2 now because they want to be certain that it is as secure a product as it can be. I assume they also delayed because they wanted to be sure that the auth system (whatever it may be) hadn't been taken also.

Can you imagine if we all had cd-key generators that worked? HL would pretty much die online.

C

Ch3tan

This is big news, BBC online have a story on it as well now. Although the facts aren't 100%, but then so far Valve have made no official press release, so it's there fault if things get mis-represented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom