His Dark Materials

X

xane

Has anyone read this Pullman trilogy yet ?

My wife has read it and says they are good, which kind of puts me off as I don't really like "popular" fiction, not being a snob as this is just my experience.

Anyone else who is a bit more of a Fantasy fan read them and can comment ?

E

ECA

I've read them.

Tbh its not particularly deep, its more childrens fantasy.

M

Munkey-

I've read most types of fantasy books and can recognise crap ones. The trilogy paints a nice tale that held me enthralled, though by the time the Amber Spyglass was released I'd lost most of my interest :p

I reccomend you nick it off a friend and read the first book at the very least. And DO keep an open mind. It will all make sense.........honest

L

Lester

I read the first one and really enjoyed it .......but........then couldn't bring myself to spend £6 on the next one. So perhaps I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought.

You do have to be picky with books. If you watch a shit film then you've wasted a couple of hours (I can never walk out of or stop a film) but if you read a shit book it can feel that you've wasted a whole week or so especially as if it's crap you read slower and slower (I can never leave a book unfinished either).

But anyway try the first one at least , it's a quick read and is very visual.

T

Trebz

Originally posted by oldlester
(I can never leave a book unfinished either).

Likewise, I've only ever once not finished a book and that was one of Janny Wurts' efforts, Warhost in Vastmark or something. I only bought her books as the Empire trilogy she wrote with Feist was oooo good.

I usually don't give up on a book but I think WOT book 9 arrived during wurts' effort and because I found it so shit I quickly took the excuse to read WOT.

W

wolfeeh

Originally posted by Trebz
I usually don't give up on a book but I think WOT book 9 arrived during wurts' effort and because I found it so shit I quickly took the excuse to read WOT.

^^^ an entirely valid reason to give up reading any fucking book :> with the possible exception of Iain M Banks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom