Hideout Festival

Laddey

FH is my second home
Hi guys.

Me and my mate have got some hideout tickets. We are planning on driving to the festival from Preston (2k+ miles)

I have no idea about this, it's 12 days away so we're planning now.

Has anybody been? If so is there any local parking?
What are the drink drive laws throughout the countries we will be travelling?

Is there any sort of route planner that you can recommend? Like where to stop over when travellin?
What do we need to take into account?

Thanks

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Croatia...

I thought it was relatively cheap to get that far out if you fly to the non-predictable airports?

(Or atleast that's what my Dad did when he went that sort of area for Football matches.)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What are the drink drive laws throughout the countries we will be travelling?

Don't fucking do it. It's that simple, you don't need to know the law.

Do not drive when you have been drinking. You don't need a fucking law to tell you that. Jesus.

Believe Hideout's in Croatia Aoami.

Laddey

FH is my second home

Do not drive when you have been drinking. You don't need a fucking law to tell you that. Jesus.

I don't plan on drinking and driving dude. I'm thinking the travelling back and recovery time I'm gonna need.

Aoami mate things are great thanks. You?

It's in Croatia. Its gonna take 21 hours roughly excluding stop times etc.

We are planning on doing shift work. 5 hours each maybe abit more.

What are the fuel prices like throughout the countries we will be travelling through? Relatively similar?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I would say do not drink and drive or even sit in the car hungover because it will mess up your experience. also...do not even consider bringining any kind of drugs. getting busted will really really mess up your day heh.

given the location, which is awesome, I would say budget in a recuperation day where you laze about on beaches swilling soft drinks and getting some fruit and sea foods down your gob, and then hit the road back.

re driving. factoring in stops and stuff will give you an average speed of approx 60 KPH given lots of motorway travel it may be higher, and staying somewhere 15 mins longer cos you need a double-flusher will make it lower. speaking of which...invest in a couple bog rolls and stow them in the car. you can thank me later. also: don't speed: it's not worth the hassle and will kill your milage. think efficiency, not speed. 2000 miles = = 3200 km / / at 60KPH = = 53.3 hours of car time which is a lot. take lots and lots of water with you and drink it. tbh 10 hours of car time in a day is about my limit of endurance these days so if I had to do that it would take me 5+ days.

sorry to bore you with this Laddy. last time I did some hard core car time I drove 5500km in 5 days and it was deeply shit even though I anticipated a lot. there were two non drivers and a novice driver in the car with me (though she was a veteran by the time we were done) and they had no idea what they were getting themselves in to even though I explained that we'd be in the car for at least 10 hours per day. I'm just telling you all this so you know what you're getting in to and will have nice as possible experience.

Chilly

Balls of steel
just fly and then rent a car? the drive will cost you way more: petrol, insurance, breathalyser kits for france, etc

TdC

just fly and then rent a car? the drive will cost you way more: petrol, insurance, breathalyser kits for france, etc

don't need breathalyser no more, the law's been suspended...but caLLous will prolly know more about that.
also, if they make a 1:10 (km) fuel average, drive 3200 km and get the 320 liters of fuel they will need at a relatively cheap 1.65 euros per liter it will cost them 528 euros or 132 euros per person given a 4 pax car. Not too sure you can fly for that kind of cash.

Laddey

FH is my second home
tbh I would say do not drink and drive or even sit in the car hungover because it will mess up your experience. also...do not even consider bringining any kind of drugs. getting busted will really really mess up your day heh.

given the location, which is awesome, I would say budget in a recuperation day where you laze about on beaches swilling soft drinks and getting some fruit and sea foods down your gob, and then hit the road back.

re driving. factoring in stops and stuff will give you an average speed of approx 60 KPH given lots of motorway travel it may be higher, and staying somewhere 15 mins longer cos you need a double-flusher will make it lower. speaking of which...invest in a couple bog rolls and stow them in the car. you can thank me later. also: don't speed: it's not worth the hassle and will kill your milage. think efficiency, not speed. 2000 miles = = 3200 km / / at 60KPH = = 53.3 hours of car time which is a lot. take lots and lots of water with you and drink it. tbh 10 hours of car time in a day is about my limit of endurance these days so if I had to do that it would take me 5+ days.

sorry to bore you with this Laddy. last time I did some hard core car time I drove 5500km in 5 days and it was deeply shit even though I anticipated a lot. there were two non drivers and a novice driver in the car with me (though she was a veteran by the time we were done) and they had no idea what they were getting themselves in to even though I explained that we'd be in the car for at least 10 hours per day. I'm just telling you all this so you know what you're getting in to and will have nice as possible experience.

Ah dude thanks for your help. It's very helpful.

Now the price of flying is around 300-500 Gbp per person then taxes on top of that

Now I'm not entirely sure if we could fly to an airport in Italy and get the train over. That may be a slightly cheaper option.

With the car we have no luggage boundaries and I'm driving a nice big Nissan qashqai 360. It's that big with the seats down I'd have enough room to have a comfortable sleep.

Theirs a bus for the festival from Manchester. It's 199 pounds per person and it takes a day and a half.

My friend would rather drive due to the comforts of our own car. USB support for phone charging and music, plenty of air con and ample leg room.

I'm just unsure what to do at the minute.

Are there any sites that do last minute cancellation flights that we could book a few days before and possibly get them next to nothing? We can only wish for that.

If it was you tdc what would you do personally?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'd drive it mate, it sounds like it'll be a laugh. 5 days sounds very excessive to me, i reckon 3 max, probably only 1 night stop-over if you're taking it in shifts really. 1,500 miles... 2 days, 750 miles a day, 4 of you driving, thats less than 200 miles each a day... sounds perfectly doable to me.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'd do

Step 1 - Preston - Dover
Step 2 - Calais - Brussels
Step 3 - Brussels - Frankfurt
Step 4 - Frankfurt - Nuremburg or Munich depending how far you want to go on, stay overnight in on of those towns. Or if you planned in advance, maybe leave a bit earlier and stay in Munich for a couple of nights because it's meant to be awesome.

There isn't many big places to stop for the second day apart from maybe Ljubljana.

I'd maybe try and get to Munich on the first day, as although it's over half the distance, you'll fly down the autobahns where as I can imagine Austria and Croatia will be mountainous and much slower drives.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Aoami thanks mate. Sounds very doable to me.

Although i may have allocated is two flights from Birmingham to pula airport for 150 quid and a 2ppund transfer. Hmmm.

How cheap is it in Croatia compared to the uk? Is it gonna cost me 20 quid for a case of bevvys?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It'll be cheap mate I wouldn't worry about that. Just had a look and the internet says around 2-3 euros for a beer in a bar.

Another thing - what day does the campsite open? If it opens friday morning, and you're going to drive, you might to stay overnight somewhere near-by so you can drive there early in the morning. Me and my mates have driven to a few festivals in europe and have been caught out a couple of times turning up late and having to queue for ages and struggling to find anywhere for our tents. If it opens thursday night though you'll be alright.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I think we are going to stop in the local towns in a hotel pal.

I don't wanna wake up in a tent and not be able to lay an egg in my own toilet.

Plus if we drive we have to find parking in the local area.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Roads that aren't near the capital/tourist hotspots are shit by the way, like, dirt tracks...

I'll have a word with my Dad when gets in and ask him where he flew to, I know he said the road was awful between the airport and the Capital, but it saved him an awful lot of money.

TdC

If it was you tdc what would you do personally?
My first choice would be to drive it. Like Aoami says it sounds like a laugh, especially if you have a fairly decent car to do it in which adds to the comfort factor. If I was in a hurry and I could find reasonably cheap flights I would fly it, but that would be my second choice really. That said,I would tune the trip to my personal preference which means I would break it up in to segments of around 600KM per day and stop in nice places that I checked out before hand and make a holiday of the whole thing rather than just the bit where you're there (the traveling is part of the experience for me). Oh, aye, another thing: driving in Germany rocks, but it pays to check ahead where the roadworks are (it pays to do that anyway). Last time I went to Berlin we messed that bit up and got stuck in traffic queues due to road work for three hours. This meant we got to the big B much later than planned and we were tired as hell. Scored free beers off the hostel bar girl to refresh ourselves though she felt so sorry for us lol :)

5 days sounds very excessive to me, i reckon 3 max, probably only 1 night stop-over if you're taking it in shifts really.
I like driving, but I hate sitting in cars. 10 hours in a car per day is more than enough for me!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheaper to fly tbfh. Then you've got 5 days to fuck about having fun, rather than sitting in a car.

Road trips sound like a great idea, but it's the not-being-in-the-car bits that are the actual fun.

TdC

I agree with your second statement but the first is bollocks: save dosh by flying so you have more time to spend it on location? meh tbh. I'd prefer to spend it along the way, at nice places you'd otherwise miss. Still, different strokes and all. *strokes scouse*

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Driving home an hour or two after a festival is bad enough.

Driving home 5 days after a festival is fucking ludicrous. You will probably enjoy the journey out there. The journey home will be horrific.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I've got two return flights for 365£ including a 20kg luggage allowance.
Yea the journey home would be horrendous that's why we didn't drive.

Thanks chaps

Chilly

Balls of steel
There's also the cost of the holiday time you're taking which you could be spending *not* sat in a car :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've got two return flights for 365£ including a 20kg luggage allowance.
Yea the journey home would be horrendous that's why we didn't drive.

Thanks chaps

Drove back totally sober very late Sunday night after Big Chill a couple of years back, (~2.5 hours) and Bestival last year Monday morning after sleep and sober (1 hour after ferry). Both times I was barely with it, almost falling asleep. They were horrible. Think you've made the right choice. Mong out in safety! You never realise quite how much a festival takes it out of you until you try and do something in the real world after :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Road trips are always great, there's the sense of achievement somehow too. It's far more so on a bike, but in a car it's still there. You either like it or you don't though.

TdC

what Throd said tbh. make the trip part of it! I'm still trying to get some mates together to (ruin caLLous) visit the Pyrenees for awesome happy pictures times. I'm kind of wanting to take at least two days to get there. 1300km there, 1300km back. If we're really cool and shit we can hit up Belgium, France, Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, then Belguim again and then the NL again which will prolly double the amount of kms but hey ho who cares superrrrrr road trip through some awesome countryside hell yeah.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
what Throd said tbh. make the trip part of it! I'm still trying to get some mates together to (ruin caLLous) visit the Pyrenees for awesome happy pictures times. I'm kind of wanting to take at least two days to get there. 1300km there, 1300km back. If we're really cool and shit we can hit up Belgium, France, Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, then Belguim again and then the NL again which will prolly double the amount of kms but hey ho who cares superrrrrr road trip through some awesome countryside hell yeah.

Yeah I agree.

But not when you've been shitting on other people's shit and partying for 4 days straight, sleeping about 2 hours a night if you're lucky. You don't want to be driving far after that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom