Hickman on WAR and DAoC

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't think any of the changes would make a huge difference tbh, I think it just needs advertising (perhaps to the extent WAR was...) and that would bring in players old and new. Plenty of people are happy with NF, the new classes etc, but most of the world doesn't know this game exists :(

actually u'd be surprised at how many actually DO know about this game. but most of them just think its to old in everything to start playing.

theres been very few ppl i've chatted to on various forums that doesent know about DAoC, unfortunately they also know that it has a really outdated engine...

ppl are used to playing WoW, and that game is as smooth as can be in combat, in DAoC its to choppy and would be unplayable without those lame /stick and /face macros.

if they want to relaunch DAoC then they would have to completely rewrite the core engine along with the grafic engine.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't see them doing a DAoC 2 - just based on EA's track record in the past and it being a huge and uncertain investment of cash at a time when the gaming industry (like most sectors) is struggling badly.

its not doing that bad tho, sure its not doing as good as it did ~3 years ago but its not doing BAD now.

the average gamer will for the most part always make sure they have enough cash for their monthly sub it seems :)

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
i never really saw the issues most ppl have with NF, sure i have very fond memories of OF aswell, and i loved to camp MG's in a RR defense/attack.

but for the most part i think NF is a great thing as it takes away all the bottlenecks and adds some strategic value to the zones.

in OF the only strategy you needed to have were to be more then the enemy at a MG.

and the fact that ppl arent taking advantage of it cant be blamed on Mythic.

NF is for vultures adding on bridges, zerging at keeps and towers.

Not surprised your lurving it :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I just stumbled across this article myself (hence thread necro).

This made ME smirk:
Yes, Jeff knows AoE and crowd control need work.
sadly it was in reference to WAR and not DAoC - doh!

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Thing that DAOC had that other games sadly miss is crowd control, yes we all whinged like buggery when we were mezzed, but fact is it added another dimension to combat that's lacking from other MMOs. By all means give someone a fighting chance (purge/mess etc) but ultimately in any MMO (remember it is meant to be MASSIVE) singular people in a battle are pretty meaningless, taking out groups or several groups is the goal and crowd control enables that if people work well in a team.

Don't get me wrong I was always the guy caught in the mess and PB box, but I knew it was part of the game and I still loved the game. It was all fun!

WAR and WoW both fail because of their rather piss poor, keep the masses happy approach to crowd control, where they should be letting everyone get shat on now and then, they go easy on players that actually want a challenge. These games ultimately are too damn easy to play and are nothing more than time-sinks.

Mythic and GOA to a lesser extend continually miss the point that people want insta-rvr but they want to feel that they've achieved something, no matter how small through skill and a bit of luck. That doesn't really happen in Mythic MMOs anymore unless you cut out the crap and go back to basics. By all means keep it simple, but make there a risk (crowd control/death/waiting time for port/spawn or run back). As much as I loved T1 in WAR it was bloody repetative and not a touch on the memories I have of sitting on a port pad in Midgard waiting to port to Hibbie for a relic raid. 10 minutes of wasted time which would be over in 50 secs if the Albs and Hibs had their thinking caps on, but it was still a shit load of fun.

UO continues to have appeal purely because it's not that easy to play and the sense of achievement people get playing it is huge, regardless of how they play it (especially in fellucia - not talking about care bear trammies). If Mythic could inject some of that good old "tough shit you died - tried harder next time" approach into WAR and into DAOC2 (please god - not that you exist) then they'd be onto a winner. People are getting tired of WoW and it's multitude of clones such as WAR. Get your arses back to basics and give us DAOC 2.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Translation:

Thing that DAOC had that other games sadly miss is crowd control, blah blah blah the nurses will be here with my injection soon, but I can type with my nose! Yes I ca-an! blah blah blah

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
injection of pure beer it was too Svart!

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Remember "old-new" daoc they were talking about and nothing actually happened?

Yeah...

Zede

Part of the furniture
Their was a MASSIVE disparity in OF between the set groups & randoms. A small percentage remember OF with rose tinted glasses, as it was so easy to pwn.

What makes daoc different to other mmos( not the cc in my opinion) is the fragility of the healers - for instance being interupted from any non insta heals by a L4 grey mob ( druid pets ftw, but plze its a bit silly) No other game i can think of has healer classes so vunerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom