Hi all

T

Tenko

I'm abit bored at the moment.

Is the lag and stuff better in battles than it used to be because i'm thinking of coming back?

Or do you still need a couple of billion terrabytes of ram to play this game?

I've just been playing DAOC (that account's still live till October) and all it did was make me want to play Planetside again :)

J

Jupitus

Heya Tenk :)

I've been a bit laggy past few days but I know it's my ISP's routing (if you use bulldog for adsl you might have an issue).

Can't really comment on the ram situation, as I have a Gig anyway, but bear in mind ram is quite cheap at the moment and IMHO more and more games that come out will require more than 512 kb to run at their best.

You know the main peeps to contact for an outfit, I'm sure :)

D

Deadmanwalking

I would bloody hope they need more than 512 kb.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

My first Amiga had 512 kb ffs... don't start bad-mouthing 512 kb, ok!!?

:p

T

Tenko

hehe I once said that my PC had 512gig of ram.

Wouldnt that be cool :)

And how cheep is cheep? I've got x2 slots of 256mb so 512 would be what? £70? I dunno.

Remember I'm saving up for Halflife 2 and thats gonna cost me £160 (expensive game that but it does come with a new graphics card :p)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I paid about 100.- Euros for a 512 m(!)b stick of 333 Kingston RAM. Get two and you'll be safe for HL2, too.

T

Tenko

Thats my problem :(

I cant afford £150 atm and if i could I'd be uprgrading my gfx card.

I've not found any other games which eat memory as bad planetside, most new single player games will get better performance by upgrading the card not my memory.

Which is bloody annoying as PS don't exactly have cutting edge visuals does it?

S

shilak

I think its more down to Planetside loading every texture it needs into memory and not doing a very good job of unloading ones it no longer needs.

When I had 512mb I found my computer would use the swapfile a lot after about 3 hours of playing or if I switched continents too much. With 1gb I dont seem to have a problem and Planetside memory use seems to cap out around 750mb!

If you dont plan to overclock you should be able to get some reasonable quality RAM at around £70 for 512mb. If you want to overclock or get higher quality RAM then you are probably looking at about £125 for 512mb.

From what Ive read a lot of the upcoming games recommend a minumum of 1gb as well.

T

Tenko

Unfortunately I'm currently using x2 256 sticks so I'll have to buy 2 lots of 512 to get a full gig however....

... The mother board has 3 slots so for less than £50 i could upgrade my RAM with a 3rd 256 stick, better than nothing I suppose :)

S

Stonebits

Same here, my MB is 2 years old, and only has 2 slots, both filled with 256.....

I dont really want to shell out a 100+ quid fror a gig when im going to build myself a new PC soon anyway (watercooled here I come :clap: )....

Plus I'll prob buy top of the range memory, which from looking, a gig of two 512k paired gold plated etc etc will set me back 200+, and I dont think it will work in my current mobo (only supports up to 2100 i think) :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread