Hero

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'd like to roll a Hero on Glastonbury
I'm primarily interested in an offensive tank.
What's a good spec ?
If I went 50 Celtic Spear, I'd need to spec parry right (cos CS is 2handed) yes?

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
best specs are hybrid imo, 42 shield, 39 1h, 50 2h. get slam, decent 1h ability, and still full damage on 2h. aim for that spec, dont bother with parry

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
is there eny real dmg diffrence between the CS and LW??

i know LW back style is op, but does LW really outdmg spear allso??

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
LW has better positionals and 2 different damage types (slash and crush) my spec is 50 LW 42 shield 39 parry 6 blades. As a guard or BG bot defence is the most important so i would spec parry rather than having extra 1h, you arent going to be using your 1h for damage so why spec in it? slam/block isnt effected by your blades skill regardless of what people think :) the only reason to spec "high" in blades is for pve.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
LW has better positionals and 2 different damage types (slash and crush) my spec is 50 LW 42 shield 39 parry 6 blades. As a guard or BG bot defence is the most important so i would spec parry rather than having extra 1h, you arent going to be using your 1h for damage so why spec in it? slam/block isnt effected by your blades skill regardless of what people think :) the only reason to spec "high" in blades is for pve.

I use spear on my hero, but otherwise strongly agree with ravens points about parry vs 1h dmg. Ive never felt the need for more than 6 in blades, parry may not be the most usefull or group based skill in the world, but its better than speccing in a damage type you really dont use.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Kaun_IA said:
is there eny real dmg diffrence between the CS and LW??

i know LW back style is op, but does LW really outdmg spear allso??

In theory they give roughly the same damage, same dps and similar speeds.

Having said that, I think crafted spears can be 0.1 slower, making them more damaging, though thats usualy not important when artifact or ml10 drops offer procs that more than compensate for their quicker speeds.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Boni said:
I use spear on my hero, but otherwise strongly agree with ravens points about parry vs 1h dmg. Ive never felt the need for more than 6 in blades, parry may not be the most usefull or group based skill in the world, but its better than speccing in a damage type you really dont use.

I think Dashing Defense effectiveness depends on the user's shield and parry spec. I remember when Tuo used Dashing Defense, Zo'Arkat-pets never bothered my druid anymore :p

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
In theory they give roughly the same damage, same dps and similar speeds.

Having said that, I think crafted spears can be 0.1 slower, making them more damaging, though thats usualy not important when artifact or ml10 drops offer procs that more than compensate for their quicker speeds.

Well seeing as he wants to roll on classic that kinda wont matter ;)

Imo spear seems like the bets solution for classic(best armor tables) and the hybrid version earlier mentioned will be best for that. 50CS 39 blunt/blades 42shield. Then you wont need anni(the OP LW style) ;)

Everyone will be using CL weaps come DR anyhow(on classic anyway)

/Dracus

dutchman

Fledgling Freddie
Hello,

Having have an lvl 50 hib hero on excal who was CS 50 / 42 shield / 39 parry and 6 blades. I must say that after 2 months of RvR (pre Toa) when I switched after an respec to 50 LW instead I never looked back again to my CS spear.

During PVE i never had complaints but in RVR LW was superior IMO the choice to use Slash against (ALL neutral Alb armour) and Blunt (neutral ALL mid armour) worked better for me.

However just take the style you find the most appealing you can still dish out a lot of pain with CS (if they wear chain they will really fear you).

Best Regards,

Nbeetjepijn HO 23 merc, Glastonbury
Ogami Fir 50 hero , Excal (current LW, ex-CS)

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
there is alot more to consider then just "whats best and does more dmg" because of all the variables in daoc.

On glast server, the largest population is with middies. albs are hardly looked upon really.
Majority of middies classes are vulnerable to thrust weapons as they are often in chain armor.

parry is a must imo, but iirc from tests i read about before toa came out, parry was almost useless going over 20/22 or so. that was well over a year ago though and since i quit because of toa, things might have changed for classic.

As dutchman said above, he points out the two options for "neutral" effects on armor types (gives no advantage or disadvantage). in PvP on glast, you will find yourself coming up against a skald and healer in every group, shaman thane and warrior are all very common in groups too.
based on that alone i would go for CS. you can leave other tanks to spec slash to deal dmg to others.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
LW is okay, have been useing it for a rather long time now, still with CS you have both Stun and snare, Slam for stun and behind style for snare, so those wanting to run from you will have a harder time and that is a big advantage ofc as you have 2 ways of stopping them, there is no immunity on snare either.

Himse

FH is my second home
Isnt celtic spear available in thrust / slash? or just thrust?

Celtic Spear is quite a nice spec tbh... but LW just has more to offer.

Rieveth

Fledgling Freddie
As Hero gets its old rr5 RA at 45 shield spec i would go 45 shield.
Lw also can be all damage types. You can activate Spear of Kings as a LW thruster.

Edit: I see on the Vn boards that Spear of kings as LW thruster has been taken off on US servers, but could still work here though. And people on vn say that the people who activated it as thrust before they took it away still have their Spear as thrust and has not had its damage type changed.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
the current RR5 RA is next to useless, i wouldnt waste your spec points going 45 shield for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom