Hero RVR

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Im currently S/S hero 50 shield 50 blades 28 parry ive been thinking about respeccing to the 50lw/CS 42 shield rest on Parry and blades...

Whats everyones oppinion about both the above specs for RVR as i know im currently not a damage dealer but is a s/s hero viable in RVR. Also whats better CS or LW

thx in advance

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
imo lw is better but i also think you should spec 50 shield, not only 42

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
So is that stick as i am or would a respec be better to LW / spear for rvr.. ;LOL ;-)

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
hehe yeah very true, just didnt want to wast 3plat on respec stone and find i dont like it lol.

Might try a /lvl 20 spear hero for bg1 see what its like then, thx for help ;-)

Xanthian

Fledgling Freddie
Tigersans said:
hehe yeah very true, just didnt want to wast 3plat on respec stone and find i dont like it lol.

Might try a /lvl 20 spear hero for bg1 see what its like then, thx for help ;-)
CS is better for killing enemy support, witht hem being Thrust vunerable.
But chances are you wont get to use spear much, as a Hero's job has been degraded to guard bot.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
spear = back snare style + thrust dmg > support
lw = good stun + crush/slash dmg > tanks

but as xan said, hero dont chase support much anymore ;p just guard/slam/anni

+ 50 shield ofc

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta love the way people without 50 heros advise people with 50 heros that 50 shield is the ONLY way :) Ok just for an alternative view..

My hero runs around with old school 42 shield, and I have no problem with landing slams, and my guard although not as great as a 50spec does the job fine (its only about 10% lower, those 8points cost a lot, but they dont make more than 8 skill points difference).

Omega

Fledgling Freddie
I would say it depends on your play style. Do you like soloing or do you run in a group 90% of the time?

Soloing LW perhaps would be better, Grouped Spear, for the reasons pointed out in previous posts.

If you solo don't go 50 shield imo, 42 is perfectly adequate (if your LW or CS). I find I parry a hell of a lot in RvR and even more so in PvE. e.g. RR7 Dwarf probably a warrior, we fight and he misses his first two attacks, then I parry his next four, he's dead, I win with out a scratch...he probably /deleted his char and rolled a Firby.

Have you considered 50 Shield, 50 Blunt that can be a great solo spec as well as group spec.

And then the most important part in this eternal question LW or CS go for the one you think looks cooler. Its most important your happy with your character. At the end of the day both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Squalion

Fledgling Freddie
i like 50shield/50 blades, you block-a-lot :p, and the styles are okay, but if you really want good dmg go 50CS, CS > LW imo :p.

the back style chain is sweet

De$pot

One of Freddy's beloved
tbh...

ive tried every viable spec there is for a hero realy, except 50 pirce.

i started out at a full lw hero with 50lw 42 shield 39 parry 6 blades. kept that for a while till we got oure first repsec then i went. 50lw 50 shield 28 blades. kept that spec for nerly a year and it worked great realy, but after so long with that spec i desided i wanted to try out different speces so i changed the 50 lw with 50 cs, played with that for a few months it was good (back then heros were still viable as a offencive tank so it was great for support bashing when no guard needed).

with time the heros role changed alot thoug from a good offencive tank to a hybrid offence/deffence tank and latly its changed to heros being almost purly deffencive.

caus of this change i again respeced after the few months with cs to full deff hero with 50 blades 50 shield 28 parry, witch is proly the second best spec ive tried, stayed like that till december last year where i then tried out 50 blunt 50 shield 28 parry. was an all around ok spec but the lack of a good snare style like the blades side pos and generaly lack of good rvr styles i didnt stay like that for long, (on a side note its the best pve spec i have ever tried uber for farming df as like all higer lvl mobs down there are volnurable to crush).
After that i actualy desided that the best spec i had had was the 50 lw 50 shield 28 blades spec, so i went back to that with a small change i changed the 28 blades to 25 blades and put 14 in parry for pve reasons.

this spec while not being 100% deff gives me ok damage with s/s and the needed utillety styles.
50 shield would never go rvr with out it 80%+ you are gonne be guarding/slamming in rvr and more shield = better chance to keep mages up thats why i also went MoB5 and have ben sinc i tried out full s/s and will never change it.
50 lw for anni realy as a hero you dont have much time to run around chasing support and such so. but it dos happen that you have time to pull off a few annis on a tank hopfully killing him or doing the final blow on a tank that leaves the box to slow. also its great against mage grps where guard is almost never needed and you might as well anni as slam and kill mages fast,
also the abilety to switch betwean slash/crush makes you able to never hit targest witch your wepon gets a minus on as you can just change and do neutral/volnurable damage to your target.

hope my endles babbeling has sumhow helped you.

Dinfar

Fledgling Freddie
Imo the best spec is 50 Shield, 50 LW/CS, 28 blade/pierce/blunt and 6 parry.
My own spec is 50 Shield, 50 LW, 28 Pierce and 6 parry.
And this is by far the best spec i've had, and i have not regreted (sp?) one time the day i specced 50 shield instead of 42. Imo its a must.

Lasro

Fledgling Freddie
Have to agree with many of the above posters and say one such as mine is one of the better ones :: 50 Shield/Spear, 25 Blunt, Rest Parry.

In my eyes hero's are first and foremost a defensive tank, all these silly buggers going 50 lw/cs and parry are negating how much a guard/protector can turn the tide in 8v8, or indeed 2-3fg/zerg numbers. And all this talk about not being able to do anything about the melle-assist train...absolute crap. Get a half decent healer taking care of you+group and even squishie casters stay alive with some good guard/intercept and some well timed slams.

Above specs is a nice all rounder, and gives you the chance of whacking out your 2h'er if your in a melle group or if the chance just calls for it :)

Personally respecced back into spear for the added snare when targets chasing support are stun-immune, and can say that lw isnt all that, still get 600+ hits on the chain targets etc. Kinda regret respeccing out of spear to go lw at 40 to be honest.

Seeing as you have been a full defence tank from the start i should think this sorta spec would suit you, or a variation on the 1h/parry as you see fit.

Hope all goes well fella, am sure you will enjoy being able to go offensive with a big hammer/kebab-stick once in a while :twak:

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
Just one thing, i don't know why you all put so much points into 1hander instead of parry. The thing about better slams with higher 1hander skill is a myth and not true. :p

Shield got his own weapon table thing. Based on Dex, Spec in Shield etc....

:fluffle:

i play an full Sword/Shield Hero and a RL friend who plays with me often got an 50 Spear, 50 shield, 28 parry Hero and we tested it. There is no difference.

If you specced higher 1hander instead of parry to do some damage while guarding then ignore me :D

Dinfar

Fledgling Freddie
Icebreaker said:
Just one thing, i don't know why you all put so much points into 1hander instead of parry. The thing about better slams with higher 1hander skill is a myth and not true. :p

Shield got his own weapon table thing. Based on Dex, Spec in Shield etc....

:fluffle:

i play an full Sword/Shield Hero and a RL friend who plays with me often got an 50 Spear, 50 shield, 28 parry Hero and we tested it. There is no difference.

If you specced higher 1hander instead of parry to do some damage while guarding then ignore me :D

all true...
but...
parry is for roleplayers fyi ;x

Khefru

One of Freddy's beloved
More points in 1 handed weapon = more w/s = miss less and do more damage. + Handy for farming :D

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Ive almost got enough for a respec stone now ;-).

Big quiestion im going 50 shield then 50/lw or cs 25 blades rest in parry is what i was thinking of going for.

Is this spec good for one on one fights if so whats better LW or CS for the one on one fights and is the spec any good for farming as this char is my farming character as well and the current set up 50 blades 50 shield 28 parry is great for farming.

Thx again.

Thilde

Fledgling Freddie
50shield 50LW the rest in blade/pierce/blunt or give it to me.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Uhm

Boni said:
Gotta love the way people without 50 heros advise people with 50 heros that 50 shield is the ONLY way :) Ok just for an alternative view..

My hero runs around with old school 42 shield, and I have no problem with landing slams, and my guard although not as great as a 50spec does the job fine (its only about 10% lower, those 8points cost a lot, but they dont make more than 8 skill points difference).

42 shield does good job = true.
diff between 42 + 11 on 50 + 11 is way lower than 10 % (ie 4%) IF Mythic statement are true (ie 5% base chance + .5 for every TRAINED level + .25 for every + Skill/RR).
To this add that somehow Dex is involved too on your base chance of blocking.
In the end:
50 shield = 30% chance block 42 = 26%.
50 + 11 shield = 33.85% 42 = 29.85%.
On top of this u can add your RR and MoB level obv ..
Over the Top of this if u manage to engage tanks on your guarded fellowm8 u increase your chance to block to around 90% btw.
This based on my personal experience and some test.
Anyway Brutalize is the key difference between 42 and 50, 1 sec stun gained nowadays can be quite a difference if u have casters in your grp imo.
Cheers

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Imo

Tigersans said:
Ive almost got enough for a respec stone now ;-).

Big quiestion im going 50 shield then 50/lw or cs 25 blades rest in parry is what i was thinking of going for.

Is this spec good for one on one fights if so whats better LW or CS for the one on one fights and is the spec any good for farming as this char is my farming character as well and the current set up 50 blades 50 shield 28 parry is great for farming.

Thx again.

I was 50 shield 50 blades rest parry ... rarely missed 1 slam in RvR (never in PVE). Went 44 cs 50 shield 34 blades 15 parry.
My landing rate gone down by a good 20% more or less in both RvR/PVE (so despite what peeps can say SADLY % chance to hit with shield is based NOT on best WS u can have but on WS u gain by equipped weap) BUT i gained Hunter's Boon (no need of PF) and more damage (still not the top cause CS not maxed). I still play defence but i have way a better life atm cause when bard runs away after i slammed tanks i can pull out spear and peel em off Support with Hunter's Boon when they chase em.
As already said in some other posts it's really up to u, Hero is a well round toon and even mixed specs (like mine) can do v well.

Bord

Fledgling Freddie
I started off 44 cs / 42 shield / blades / 24 parry on my keen hero, but to be honest was a little disappointed with my block rates and CS damage in RVR. Its arguably the most rounded PVE spec, but doesnt quite cut it in the frontiers.

Now I have gone 50CS / 50 Shield / 12 blades / rest parry, which has made me much happier with his performance. Add in MOBII and MOPain II and he's a very versatile offensive or defensive tank.

/aggree with the comment about heroes being wanted more and more for pure defense (/stick on blokey being assist trained, guard+intercept) but I quite like that, and when the opportunity presents, I whip out the spear.

Took parry over blades for solo ability - start with shield, brutalise, run thru /stick and unload rear chain. Works great and costs a lot less end than slam. Also I always find 1H damage, even with a slow sword a bit gimpy, so apart from opening stun, always duel with CS.

Loving my spec... that's my two'penneth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom