Heres an idea

Gamah

Banned
Give all ex English based subscribers a free week/month..that will get the cluster re-populated..

I doubt this idea will be heeded as its actually an idea that might work.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
My experince is from pre-DR time - has the game improved much by then? What has changed so much that people would enjoy the game once again?

...yes, I'm too lazy to read all the patch notes :p

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
if my accounts opened i'd play them on the .de cluster anyway if i played at all :D

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Its more the people that have re rolled to german/us servers that need to come back to dyvet. They will probably miss there ml10 rrXX chars whilst they play roglord armsmen in pug's. I can only see a cluster with an english speaking server (hopefully US servers) that will make people come back and play there old chars.

Nice idea gamah but most people will only play for the free week and would probably roll cows for that time. Most of the people who have quit have quit for good because its the time in their life to do so, most pissed off people rerolled or played wow. Free /charcopy to US please!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Ban all CM morons from Uk Cluster, that will do to get back population imo.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Give all ex English based subscribers a free week/month..that will get the cluster re-populated..

wrong, i'd never go back with the playerbase that exists there. As Eleasias said, i'd use it to play on the german cluster anyways.

just to illustrate what I mean, https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=215977

who the fuck wanna play with wankers like that.. no wonder that the cluster took a nosedive

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
4 words:

"To little too late"

We could all also say "we told you it was dying", but no one was listening anyway.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
4 words:

"To little too late"

how can it be that when GOA havent done it?

besides, "to little to late" is starting to get more cliché then the western movies one liners fgs...

time to come up with something new tbh...

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
how can it be that when GOA havent done it?
Hence too late, Dyvet is about to be disolved as we knew and loved it into the zergfest loved by the Germans and Frech, in essence Pryd/Excal will no longer exist.

besides, "to little to late" is starting to get more cliché then the western movies one liners fgs...
So is "heres an idea to fix Dyvet".

time to come up with something new tbh...
Go on then..

Laddey

FH is my second home
Doubt i'd come back to EU tbh. I play my friends account every now and again.

I logged on at 12 yesterday afternoon, i know it's not primetime etc etc. There was like 90 people on Excal, and 110 on Pryd. 200 people give or take.

That's kinda' a low pop. I don't think i'd come back (personally) until/if the population has regained it's old population state.

Many EU'ers play US Servers now. Come join the horde of yankie doodles.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Mas: Don't know, I don't think if any clustering would make me come back to EU servers. I stayed on them, because many friends played on them, even if I was happier on US servers, and in other games. I don't trust GOA, I don't see that majority of dyvet community would make me feel at home on prydwen.

The only DAOC server, where I can be still considered active / semi active is Gaheris. And I don't miss my Prydwen characters.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
How about GoA actually talking on the issue?

It's been quite some weeks since Requiel posted on these forums about it. Yet nothing solid on daoc.goa.com.

Typical GoA information levels.

Bahumat

FH is my second home

Yeah I was gutted when they said they were moving HP Productions to Holland

hp.jpg

IainC

English WAR Community Manager

We are currently doing this. Over the past couple of weeks there's been a mass emailing to all ex-subscribers in good standing (not banned for example) who have been inactive for more than a certain amount of time (1 year or more iirc). They got an email offering them 8 days of free play to be taken any time in the next month. I don't know exactly when the email went out but it was only a short while ago. I even mentioned it in another one of these threads recently.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
We are currently doing this. Over the past couple of weeks there's been a mass emailing to all ex-subscribers in good standing (not banned for example) who have been inactive for more than a certain amount of time (1 year or more iirc). They got an email offering them 8 days of free play to be taken any time in the next month. I don't know exactly when the email went out but it was only a short while ago. I even mentioned it in another one of these threads recently.
Any chance to see the letter? My account has been closed since 18.8.2006 so didn't get one - I dont care about the free time, I want to know if there is any reason to reopen my account.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Any chance to see the letter? My account has been closed since 18.8.2006 so didn't get one - I dont care about the free time, I want to know if there is any reason to reopen my account.

The text of the email was as follows:

Email said:
Play Dark Age of Camelot for free for eight days and check all the new features!
Dear adventurer of the realms,
You haven’t played Dark Age of Camelot for quite some time and so you may not know the latest features and news from the game. We invite you to discover all the changes by reactivating your account for free for 8 days!
Things are moving fast in Camelot: the 2006 release of the Darkness Rising expansion added new possibilities for high level players: new Champion levels, a fascinating instanced quest campaign and exceptional steeds… There is also a new battleground for levels 45 to 49 players, many class upgrades, crafting improvements, and underwater zones in the realms. All this, along with constant graphical improvements and embellishment, from the capital cities to Darkness Falls and innumerable monsters...
And this is not over. Realm vs Realm battles, which make the success of Dark Age of Camelot become even more exciting thanks to the Labyrinth of the Minotaur expansion, released in February 2007. Coming back from the past, three rival Minotaur tribes are seeking relics hidden in a huge RvR labyrinth… A new expansion including a new class and race.
All this is now easy to see for yourself since the Catacombs expansion is now free and Darkness Rising only costs 9.95 € (£7.99)! Additionally it is easier than ever before to subscribe thanks to the prepaid card system that makes it possible to play without a credit card.
The 8 free days will automatically be activated as soon as you click on the link below. This offer is only available for a month, and starts from the transmission date of this email. Do not miss this opportunity!

Looking forward to see you soon in our realms, we wish you a happy new 2007!
The Dark Age of Camelot European Team
• Reactivate your account and play 8 days for free [LINK].

All your characters are ready to return to the adventure. To download Catacombs (free), Darkness Rising or Labyrinth of the Minotaur, go to the Download section of the community website. <LINK>
If you have lost your login, click here <LINK> to get a new one.
Click on this link if you no longer wish to receive messages from GOA.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
got this email on one of my older accounts but tbh, i won't be using it as the dyvet cluster when i've logged on with my main account is pretty boring.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture

About the same time as mine :)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
That email would probably make me reopen if I didn't have Cata/DR already so fairly nicely done :cool: Then again I would first check FH out and forget about it :p

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
If thats the solution to the population problems I'll be playing WAR on mythics servers tbh

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
No source at all old bean, simply my speculation with the facts at hand.

The best and only viable solution to increase the PvP player base is to merge it with a cluster with larger playerbase. This means the Dyvet RvR scene as we all know it will disolve into the huge German / French one.

As Dyvet numbers fall, PvP will also suffer, first the Old Realms, then TOA as it becomes nigh impossible to do high level bosses etc, and tbh the PvEers cant be denied, so that too in turn I think will merge.

After that theres not much left, the only other things left for the team to do is either /charcopy and empty Dyvet, or charcopy the DB to the US, which wont happen due to revenue issues, legal ownership of the DB and cash on both sides.

Of course these are all assumptions I have made, I could be wrong but there doesnt seem much light at the end of the tunnel, "dissolved" was a metaphore for what I see coming, not based on any source other than my own very odd imagination :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Changing Dyvet into a purely german or french speaking server would (I imagine) lose it 90% of its players in one fell swoop.

As well as guaranteeing no new or returning english speaking players.

It would also result in a large number of cancelled accounts from anyone who's currently not playing actively but has an account open as they'll think "oh well, no more server".

Given there's still 500+ people on the server at peak time (source: daoc.darkzone.net - peaks at 272 Prydwen and 389 Excalibur in the last month) this is a bad bad idea.

With Glastonbury joining Salisbury there was 50 people online and still the option of playing on Dyvet for an english language server.

I don't see that happening to Dyvet unless the server truly was dead. Even then they've kept Cumbria open with 50 people for years...

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Changing Dyvet into a purely german or french speaking server would (I imagine) lose it 90% of its players in one fell swoop.

As well as guaranteeing no new or returning english speaking players.

It would also result in a large number of cancelled accounts from anyone who's currently not playing actively but has an account open as they'll think "oh well, no more server".

Given there's still 500+ people on the server at peak time (source: daoc.darkzone.net - peaks at 272 Prydwen and 389 Excalibur in the last month) this is a bad bad idea.

With Glastonbury joining Salisbury there was 50 people online and still the option of playing on Dyvet for an english language server.

I don't see that happening until the server truly is dead.

From my observation, it is possible to tweak a server with multi languages with a bit of effort and ingenuity. But a system change may be necessary for that to happen. But like it has been said many times in the other thread in particular, our cluster will stay English. Now pass over the HP sauce Flim, I need my Frankfurter and crepes with cough I mean Sausages, Bacon and Beans on Toast with some real English Flavour :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
From my observation, it is possible to tweak a server with multi languages with a bit of effort and ingenuity. But a system change may be necessary for that to happen. But like it has been said many times in the other thread in particular, our cluster will stay English. Now pass over the HP sauce Flim, I need my Frankfurter and crepes with cough I mean Sausages, Bacon and Beans on Toast with some real English Flavour :p

*lobs a haggis at Imgormiel*

I'm guessing that the solution will be something along the lines of multi-language servers. i.e. clients of many languages clustered with each other. But that's currently not technically possible and requires Mythic to change things. It wouldn't have the problems I mention above as people can still play the game in english, even if not everyone around them is talking in english :)

However this presumably means mythic and GOA checking that it's possible to change it to be multiple language clients without spending 3 years of coding time (after which it'll probably be somewhat academic ;))

Now if GOA were to announce that this was the plan on the website or even here on FH and it turns out that making all the translations client side is a task only slightly short of mucking out the aegean stables they'll be screwed.

So, they'll take the time it takes to make sure it can actually happen before saying anything, and if it can't happen they'll have to do something else.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Reading between the lines, it seems it maybe possible to cluster zones, without loosing the language files, or at least reading snippets on here by req and co, it maybe a possibility, so the langauge thing stays the same, and only the combat system and maybe zones get affected in RvR zones.... if that makes sense.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
I would like to check back too, but haven't got that email so wow stays as the mmorpg for now

Kerig

Fledgling Freddie
I'm guessing that the solution will be something along the lines of multi-language servers. i.e. clients of many languages clustered with each other. But that's currently not technically possible and requires Mythic to change things. It wouldn't have the problems I mention above as people can still play the game in english, even if not everyone around them is talking in english :)

I think thats the only possible fix for population problems, unfortunately the revenues from Dyvet are now so small i dont believe it would justify the expense on GOA's part. Folks seem to forget they are a business after all.

For me, the populations fallen too low to make the game enjoyable, so for the first time in five years ill not be renewing my subs this month. sad day as i firmly believe daoc is still the best mmorpg out there.

With hindsight the game should have been pushed much harder for the first few years marketing wise, so that there were 5 or 6 uk servers, but back then noone had a clue how big the demand could be.
I cant see that being a problem with Warhammer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom