Here's a quote for the forum sigs.

F

Falcon

"Verant is doing their absolute damndest to ruin their magnificent creation with ham handed bull****, nerfing, and nonsensical pronouncements from befuddled and ignorant spokesmen." - Sanya on the subject of Everquest. Does anyone else not see the hellishly amusing irony in that quote :) ?

A

Archeon

God bless her... (or him), , sombody at the office must have payed a practical joke on her... (or him), by posting that exert of her... (or his) auto-biography and changing the name of the game to Everquest :rolleyes:

F

Flimgoblin

Mythic are saints compared to verant :)

Half the reason they hired Sanya "tweety" Thomas and Scott "Lum the Mad" Jennings was to try and avoid all the crap that Verant did.

A

Alrindel

Don't fool yourself: Mythic do a pretty decent job in an industry where it's not only impossible to make everybody happy all the time, but every disgruntled crank has a VN post count of 500+ and the worst of them have their own web sites. Verant/Sony Online Entertainment... well, the term "assclowns" might have been coined just for them. SOE is Star Wars Galaxies' biggest liability and the reason I'm hesitant to even order it. No matter how good a job the devs have done on the game when it goes gold, I have utter confidence in Sony's ability to plow it straight into the ground at Mach 2, starting on Release Day.

A

Archeon

Originally posted by Alrindel
Don't fool yourself: Mythic do a pretty decent job

Never said they didn't, they do a hell of a better job that WEMADE did on LOM. it just amused me for a few minutes thats all.

F

Falcon

I just get the feeling Mythic are somewhat amateurs in the game dev arena. They always take stuff too far to one extreme, and they always seem to have their favourite classes that they refuse to nerf despite being obvious to just about everyone how overpowered they actually are. As an archer I know all too well how we went from having an identity as the snipers of the game to having no role or identity in the game whatsoever nowadays. Instead of fixing long standing issues and implementing long-standing promised features we end up with junk. Quite honestly I'd much prefer to see 1.61 as a fix a few hundred bugs patch than this crappy stat-cap change that just about everyone objects to. Maybe then they could get on with playing about with the fluff.

I used to play UO and god, I thought OSI the makers of that were bad, but they weren't a touch on Mythic for getting things wrong, leaving bugs in.

Sanya is an appalling PR person and comes across as being outright offensive sometimes, check here:
http://pub27.ezboard.com/fhibernianprotestfrm2.showMessage?topicID=68.topic

and here:
http://tweety.bowlofmice.com/

to see what she's really like.

Although I never played EQ, compared to games I have played in 8yrs online gaming (as well as some time spent in the game dev industry myself) Mythic are currently at the bottom of the pile, still this is, afaik, their first or one of their first games is it not?

A

Alrindel

Originally posted by Falcon
Although I never played EQ, compared to games I have played in 8yrs online gaming (as well as some time spent in the game dev industry myself) Mythic are currently at the bottom of the pile, still this is, afaik, their first or one of their first games is it not?
No, they have been around since 1995 or so and have shipped more than a dozen online games, I believe. Some of them are still running, they market them here.

I won't even comment on your putting Mythic "at the bottom of the pile" but I can only imagine where you put such stellar performers as OSI, SOE, Funcom, Turbine, Cornered Rat, or (God help us) Wolfpack. If you do decide to one day play their games, though, you might find this link handy some day.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Archeon
God bless her... (or him), , sombody at the office must have payed a practical joke on her... (or him), by posting that exert of her... (or his) auto-biography and changing the name of the game to Everquest :rolleyes:

Archeon...no more monty python for you!

F

Falcon

OSI were far far better than Mythic, they were so much more pro-active in solving and resolving bugs and added so much more fun and useful fluff, things like hats, which Mythic make nearly a whole patch out of are things that UO had in it all along. UO's only downfall nowadays is it's age, it's got beyond the point where they can just keep patch, it needs a re-write from scratch to have much more life in it.

A

Alrindel

OSI were far far better than Mythic, they were so much more pro-active in solving and resolving bugs
rofl

Note: that's only the "clean" bug list: all the exploitable bugs have been taken off it to prevent people from, well, exploiting them.

F

Falcon

Try and find and compare to a list of bugs in DAoC, also then compare how many of those bugs in UO have been around as long as the ones in DAoC. A lot of those bugs in that list haven't been around more than 5minutes.

Also then compare how many of those bugs are serious, and compare to the amount of serious bugs in DAoC and you really begin to get a picture of how bad DAoC is in comparison.

A

Alrindel

Rose-tinted glasses and a highly selective memory must be great blessings to you in these troubled and troubling times. kthxbye

C

Cavex ElSaviour

Try and find and compare to a list of bugs in DAoC, also then compare how many of those bugs in UO have been around as long as the ones in DAoC. A lot of those bugs in that list haven't been around more than 5minutes.

Also then compare how many of those bugs are serious, and compare to the amount of serious bugs in DAoC and you really begin to get a picture of how bad DAoC is in comparison.

so why do you play daoc?

F

Falcon

I got bored of UO, wasn't that it was a bad game, just that after 3 years just about any game runs out of new things to do, or do you think if someone thinks a game wasn't too badly designed and maintained they should play it for all eternity?

Game developers only have so much time to provide so much content, OSI provided a hell of a lot of content, DAoC is somewhat lacking, which is why I doubt I'll end up playing it 3yrs like UO.

Rose-tinted glasses and a highly selective memory must be great blessings to you in these troubled and troubling times
Coming from someone who thinks Mythic are doing a good job I find that highly amusing, nearly as amusing in fact as the original quote at the top of this thread, not that you'd remember it because you seem to busy going off on one about how bad OSI (Without knowing full facts) are.

P.S. That bug list is for the new UO addon which has been out barely a month, perhaps if you REALLY want to do a fair comparison you could get a DAoC buglist from a month after release as opposed to an up to date one?

K

katt!

i smell an elf that has been reading waterthread.

K

katt!

P.S. That bug list is for the new UO addon which has been out barely a month, perhaps if you REALLY want to do a fair comparison you could get a DAoC buglist from a month after release as opposed to an up to date one?

yes, compare that list to how many bugs SI had at release. PLEASE.

D

Danya

<Thinks Xest should try writing a game before complaining about bugs> ;)

F

Falcon

<Thinks Xest should try writing a game before complaining about bugs>
ROFL, Oh if only you knew, if only you knew...

Users who are viewing this thread