Help with starting up machine.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Bought new power supply, motherboard, graphics, processor and heatsink but the computer does not switch on at all, the connectors are all in the right place, but there seems be no life to the system, the parts have been checked for compatability issues and checked out fine, does anyone have any idea on what to do?

Athlon XP 3200
768MB 2100DDR Ram
60GB HD
80GB HD
ATI 9600 XT
Prodigy 192 sound card
Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
Hiper power 520W triple FAN PSU K8 compatiable

It stopped working with previous components, so new stuff was bought to try and fix the problem which led me to believe it was the motherboard:
old parts
350W PSU
Geforce 4TI 4200
Athlon XP 1800

When the problem occured with the old parts the power was still powering the fans as soon as the power was plugged in but the system would not boot up, at all.

Thanks in advance.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
take out your grafix card and ram

swap them around a bit and possibally push them in and ot a few times...

now try again

i ahve to do this some times on teh same mobo, and i know another person with a very similar problem and this fixed it for them, it's worth a try

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you don't happen to have your reset connector on the wrong way do you?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
eh? It's a switch TdC, how could you fit it backwards? :eek7:

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
if the reset switch is on wrong, the computer will just constantly reset giving a black picture on the monitor.

"the connectors are all in the right place" is the comment that "Lightstar" wrote so it more than likely isnt any of the switch's

have you tried changing over the Power Cable first off all?

TdC

Xavier said:
eh? It's a switch TdC, how could you fit it backwards? :eek7:

the cable connecter to the reset pins on the motherboard is what I mean really. if + and - are reversed the mobo will constantly reset as stated above. it's the first thing I check (that and cmos-drain) if a newly built pc of mine won't boot as I always seem to get it wrong.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I thought that reset switches were the 'push to make' variety? The wiring should make absolutely no difference whatsoever, unless the switch is faulty.

TdC

aah! I dunno now, you've all made me doubt myself :eek: I *do* know for a fact that I've had systems that needed the reset aligned properly, but that depends on the switch I suppose. Electricity isn't my strong suit :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A reset is basically a short circuit of two pins. The only way that connecting a reset switch would make a difference, is if the switch itself were a 'click on, click off' variety, and even then it wouldn't matter which way around you wired it.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
So you think that maybe the reset or power switches may be faulty. What is the easy way to test this. If i had some more of the same connectors i would just stip them and touch the bare ends together, as it is I dont want to break my existing ones only to find out they weren't the problem. ASUS still havent replied to a similar query I sent to their VIP tech support.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
PLightstar said:
So you think that maybe the reset or power switches may be faulty. What is the easy way to test this. If i had some more of the same connectors i would just stip them and touch the bare ends together, as it is I dont want to break my existing ones only to find out they weren't the problem. ASUS still havent replied to a similar query I sent to their VIP tech support.

Bit of a pain I know bit if you have a spare case knocking about you can always put the Mobo in the new case and check them on there.

Alternatively take the connecting wire for reset off your motherboard from the case. See if it boots up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom